Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Stopped at a Thrift in Arlington, Tx today after work and scored some vinyl. Spent about a half hour rummaging a bin with no prices. This is usually either really good or really bad. Got to the counter, put the pile on the counter and held my breath as the clerk examined the first album. She turned it over and over looking for a price and then reached for the register. What would it be? How outrageous was she going to price them? I used my "special" powers to control her mind AND......................................................................................................................................................................$.55, that's right, 55 centavos, 55 pennies from heaven, 5 more than 4 bits.....except the box set.....it was 99cents.. The worst are in VG to Excellent, Many are Mint or Near Mint. Wahhhahaahahahhahhahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Vinyl RULES!!!!!!! Life is GOOD!

Best of the lot was Columbia 6 eye of JJ Johnson and Kai Winding "Trombone for Two" in Excellent condition.

So here's the complete list:

"The flute at the Courts of Frederich the Great & Louis XV", Everest 3180

German pressing of "Cantata da Camera" , Rene Jacobs/Gustav Leonhardt, ABC Classics AB-67020/

Promotional Copy of "Diane Schuur & the Count Basie Orchestra" with Braille Title on Cover. Actual Braille on the Jacket GRD-9550

45rpm Angel Sonic Series of "Gershwin:Rhapsody in Blue, Ravel:La Valse" London Symphony, SS-45012

Nonesuch label, "Piano Rags by Scott Joplin", Joshus Rifkin, Piano, H-71248

4 Manhatten Transfer lps, not a huge fan, but these were mint

British Philips pressing of "Suppe Famous Overtures" Neville Marriner, 9500 399

RCA Living Stereo, "Malaguena" / Carlos Montoya, LPM/LSP-2380

CBS Masterworks, "Dvorak/Salvonic Dances/ Cleveland Orchestra

Capital Full Dimensional Stereo, "Artistry in Voices and Brass" Stan Kenton, ST 2132

A weird one too good to pass up, "Bluegrass Banjo, Music Minus One Banjo", Peter Wernick, Banjo. According to the notes, one channel is banjo only so you can listen to the other channel(the rest of the Bluegrass Band) and play the banjo parts yourself. Gotta love vinyl! MMO 180

Deutsche Grammophon Box set, Metropolitan Opera production of "Carmen w Geoges Bizet/Marily Horne/James McCracken, Leonard Bernstein conducting". 3lp set, 2709 043

"The Amazing Rhythm Aces" 9022-1123

Support your local Thrift Store and they will support you...

You dirty dog! I mostly grew up (or maybe i have never grown up) in Arlington and never found scores like that (although bernstein is not my fave conductor). Today I felt good about getting a japanese pressing of Steely Dan's Gaucho for 10 when it was marked 15 at the recycled record store. I offered 10 because the jacket had a drink spilled on it, the record looked fine, and now I've played it and while not perfectly quiet the dynamics in the music are all there, had me smiling and shouting as if I'd scored a hat trick!

Must be the season! Last weekend I picked up about forty LPs at a library book sale (I was the first one through the boxes---always on the floor--ouch!). I scored about 5 Jimmy Smith records (one a Blue Note), some Brubeck, Grateful Dead, Art Farmer, JJ Johnson (Blue Trombone), John Hiatt, Chet Baker, Mulligan, Getz, a Horace Silver Blue Note (Cape Verdean Blues), Dizzy, Shearing, etc. 50¢ a pop! Decent, listenable shape.

Just found a Columbia Six Eye of the Harmonicats at a new Goodwill in Lewisville. Oldtimer, the used record store on the square in Denton is awesome for variety and volume. I have spent many hours in that place browsing both books AND vinyl. They just live in a market that will bear $15 vinyl. I used to work across the street from the College of Music at UNT. I don't know if they still have their listening labs furnished with turntables, but I can't imagine they don't. Stan Kenton, for one, donated his entire collection, including emphemera, compositions, arrangements, and who knows what else to the College before he passed away. Leon Breedon was a critic/historian at UNT for years but I believe he has passed as well. He was obsessed with his place in music history, so I'm sure there are great things hidden within that College.

There are hidden places in Denton close to you where sweet vinyl can be found, but if I told you where...well, you know....IHTKY

If I find vinyl at all in a thrift or a pawn shop or an estate sale or a garage sale or a church sale, I almost always find a gem. But my tastes are extremely varied. I find the hardest records to find in really good shape is the most common rock n roll. They were not treated with as much finesse as the older classical, jazz, and even blues. My own collection, all bought new, is a good example of this. After half a keg, lps get trashed. Lifting and dropping the needle over and over and over again trying to learn a riff doesn't do them any good either.

We're going to have to get together sometime and go hunting in the mid-cities. Here's a hint...if you have a Garmin GPS, tell it to find any store with the word "THRIFT" in it and go crusin.......

>45rpm Angel Sonic Series of "Gershwin:Rhapsody in Blue, Ravel:La Valse" London Symphony, SS-45012

So are you going to pass that on to Kecia (the PAW) or risk significant damage to your manhood?

Did Recycled B&R ever get back into classical? The day I went and learned they'd firesaled off there already dang near free collection was pretty close to when I decided to move south and join the Pharang Legion. Nothing left to live for.

Just located Kelly (Mobile Homeless) over in the "First Tubes" thread. Were you aware he was back when you asked the other day?

EDIT: (Also had it pointed out a few minutes ago that his comment was from the Auld Days. Not sure how that thread was revived.)

Dave

If I remember correctly, Kecia doesn't actually own her own turntable. You should start shopping for one immediately!

I stopped at another Goodwill, this time in Dallas next to the UT Southwestern Medical complex and found some more black gold. $1-$2 per disc but then it's for a good cause and still dirt cheap. Here's the haul:

Mint 1959 StereoVox "Rachmanivov Piano Concerto No.2/Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1, Felicja Blumental/Vienna State Opera Orchestra, dir. Michael Gielen ,STPL 511.500 (Jacket looks brand new, not even yellowed)

Mint StereoVox (1958?) "Stravinsky, The Rite of Spring" Orchestra of the Southwest German Radio, Baden-Baden, Jascha Horenstein conducting.. Jacket and lp also mint. STPL 513.200

Mint 1959 StereoVox "Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5, Bamber Symphony Orchestra, Heinrich Hollreiser, Conducting, STPL 510.380

Near Mint 1958 StereoVox Mozart Piano Concerto #19 &20, Ingrid Haebler, piano, Vienna Symphony, STPL 511.010

Mint Deutsche Grammophon, "Bethoven Symphony No.6, Las Angeles Philharmonic, Carlo Giulini, conducting, 2531 266

Very Good Seraphim "Birgit Nilsson & Hans Hotter/Wagner: Die Walkure-Final Scene & the Flying Dutchmman-Love Duet, Philharmonica Orchestra, Leopold Ludwid cond...missing Text leaflet, S-60167

Musical Heritage Society, "The Great Cantatas of Johann Sebastian BacH", Pforzheim Chamber Orchestra, Cover good, lp NM., MHS 516

Nonesuch "JS Bach:Musical Offering BWV 1039", Yorkshire Sinfonia, Manoug Parikian, dir., H-71384, excell

Turnabout Vox 1967 "Aaron Copland, Billy the Kid, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Donald Johanos, cond. TV 34169, VG

Esparanza "The Honey Drippers, Part I", don't know about this one, but we'll see. 90220-1-b, VG

J-Nor Recording Co. "Simply Grand, The Jack Normand Trio" No Catalog Number ,Good This is a local Dallas Trio from WAYYYYYY back.

Philips recording of "The Swingle Singers Going Baroque" PHS 600-126 very good to excellent. I'm assuming this is like a vocal PDQ Bach takeoff on acid.

****Someone PLEASE STOP ME!!!!!! I'm drowning in new old vinyl. At this rate I'll never have time to listen to it all...life is indeed grand....

I'm going to the Blueshoe Project pre-Grammy party tonight at the old Palace Film Theatre in old downtown Grapevine, Tx to listen to 91 yr old Honeyboy Edwards sing the blues and tell stories. Tricked a girl into being my date and will be meeting up with other friends. Hope to meet the "other Ron" from this list as he's going to be there. All in all, it should be a good time for all.

Forgot a couple, there's so much vinyl laying around it gets lost.

Columbia 6 Eye Masterworks 1960, "Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5" The Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy Cond. Cover good, but lp is absolutely MINT!!!!! This was the year of their 60th anniversary, yada yada Recorded at the Academy of Music. Commissioned by Columbia Records in honor of the 60th Anniversary of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Led Zeppelin IV aka ZoSo, NM,

Asylum, Linda Ronstadt "Don't Cry Now". SD 5064, I DON'T know why, I just was looking for some early "pre-broadway" Ronstadt and was in a feeding frenzy. And it was NM.

DANGER! DANGER, LoneLobo Destroy Swingle Singers IMMEDIATELY! If you put a needle to that disk you will unleash audio nanobots that will enter your brain through your ears and destroy all references to Bach as you knew him. This is IRREVERSABLE and you will be forever inhabited by Bachenstein monsters who will continually make noises in your head like na, na, na, na na na na na NAH!

OTOH, that Turnabout/Dallas recording was the first Dallas recording to be taken seriously. Mata at his best and one of the best performances of Copland ever. Very nice technically as well, in spite of the old Fair Park Music Hall.

Dave

I felt that, perhaps, a bit more background on the threat posed by the so-called "Swingle Singers" was in order. This material has been declassified recently in order to bring about final removal of this threat. The government feels that you are now ready to be able to handle this.

About 30 years ago, Earth was threatened with occupation by the forces of the Cacaphonian League. One of their spies had, purchance, landed right in a theater showing Saturday Night Fever and fed heavily on the music. It seems that their evolutionary process had created within them a deep and fundamental need for such music. Their greatest and most beloved composer, the immortal Beezgeesh, was considered the father of their cuture. This spy had returned with glowing tales of a rich planet filled with what the Earthlings called "Discoteques," where Cacaphonians could feed and grow fat for free.

In fact, their invasion armada was nearing Earth when their scanners picked up, amongst other things, WRR in Dallas. The sublime sounds of Mozart filled their ships and created untold agony for the Cacaphonians, nearly killing them before they were able to shut it off. The confused Cacaphonian Command, however, responded immediately with a clever and cunning plan. Working with ears heavily shielded, they created the ultimate weapon, a perversion of Earths' great composers so devastating that it would spread throughout the planet and completely wipe out the threat. Thousands upon thousands of the "Swingle Plan" discs were transported directly to discount stores on Earth identified by a hole cut in the upper corner. Unsuspecting music lovers, seeing their beloved Bach and Mozart listed on the covers, took them home and were immediatly overcome by the nanorobots who promptly destroyed all ability to find sustenance in great music. They spread with rapidity through the populace, leaving the victims staring blankly about and mouthing "na, nana, nanananaNAH!"

However, there was a weakness in the plan. Some resistive Earthlings were fortunate enough to only overhear this insidious weapon from other rooms. While still damaging, they were forewarned enough to get away. Once the coast was clear, they investigated and found the source of this extraordinary pain. While they did not understand the source or real implications of the threat, they knew what to do and immediately destroyed the offending record.

Swingle Singers records gradually disappeared all over the globe into landfills where they will remain as threats for thousands of years. However, the immediate danger was gone and, with time, the number of discoteques dwindled as people gradually came to their senses. With no source of free food and the shield from WRR and other classical and jazz music stations holding them at bay, the Cacaphonian Fleet moved on to easier pickings.

However, a few of these "cut outs" still remain shrink wrapped in their covers at Goodwills, Half-Priced Books, and many other stores. Even after 30 years they are fully armed and capable of destroying all ability to appreciate great art.

Beware. If you see one, do NOT remove the shrink wrap. Purchase it, take it home and feed it into your shredder. These were secretly developed by the US government to deal with the threat without alarming the public. Once shredded, the nanobots are permanently disarmed.

You have been warned.

Dave

My local Cancer Aid Thrift Store never has much in the way of audio gear but they have a reasonable recrd section. Records normal price is $.50 per disc, they do half off days once every month or two. They don't have a great selection but usually a fair amount of classical music, quite the score for $.25 per LP.

Two yard sales this weekend. One guy found two boxes of albums in the attic of a house he was working on. Allman Bros., Outlaws, all kinds of stuff. Other one a lady had well over a couple thousand records. Bought lots of wierd stuff (for me) - classical, Sinatra, cowboy songs, rock, pop, tons of things. I wish I knew better what to look for.

110 albums for 45 bucks. Many look like they were played once. Someday, I have to organize this compulsive obsession.

Dave,

I thought you would appreciate this. The gentleman I just spent time with working in Monterey, Mexico said Mata was a personal friend of his parents and would travel with a suitcase full of sheet music and sit beside their pool outside Mexico City for hours thumbing through it slowly. When, as a kid, he asked Mr. Mata what he was doing, the response was, "I'm listening to some new music".

I think I've finally analyzed my recent vinyl binge. It's a futile attempt to somehow accumulate half the variety of vinyl that PM obviously has in his house, warehouses, hangers, and barns. Today in Big D before and after shooting, I found:

1984 Texas Rose Music recording of "Listen Here, Roseanna Vitro" TRM1001 Limited Edition. NM, EX. Dave, according to the jacket notes, she is a Texarkana Jazz singin girl who grew up on the Arkansas side. Listed in all the Jazz collectable literature.

Finally got a copy of "Switched-On Bach" aka Walter Carlos (Wendy). G to VG--I'll keep looking for a NM copy.

Steve Martin, "Let's Get Small", VG VG+ Just couldn't help myself

Still Sealed Deutsche Grammophon , "Berlioz-Tchaikovsky-Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet" San Francisco Symphony, Seiji Ozawa cond. cat.2530 308

Columbia, "Music of Jubilee, Bach Favorites for Organ and Orchestra" E. Power Biggs at the Coumbia Chamber Symphony. Cat.MS6615 VG VG+

Columbia, E. Power Biggs' Greatest Hits, Ex Ex, Cat Ms7269

1960 90th Floor Records, "Dick and Ziz Harp at the 90th Floor" Dallas husband and wife jazz/cabaret act that owned a club called the 90th Floor. Cover insists that this is where Tony Bennett, Stan Kenton, and Marlene Dietrich chilled out when in Dallas. Good, Good Cat. SLL901

90th Floor Records, "Again! Dick and Kiz Harp at the 90th Floor". Good, Good, Cat. SLL-902(S). Album jacket on this one tells the story that Kiz passed away later in 1960 of a cerebral hemmorage at the age of 29. The tracks on this album were recorded at the same session as the previous album. A Kiz Harp Musical Scholarship was set up at North Texas State College, ie. University of North Texas now--famous for the One O'clock Lab Band.

I can't find any reference in my Jazz guides to Dick or Ziz Harp. According to the jacket lit, they were starting to get national air play when Kiz was called home. If anyone out there knows more, let me know.

1978 CBS, "An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea In Concert" NM Poor, Cat PC2 35663

Capitol, "Dancing Room Only, Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians" Ex Ex, Cat ST1121

Columbia, "The All Time Great Polkas Frankie Yankovic Plays in Person", VG VG, Cat CL1358 Brave Combo would be proud. Recorded "on location" at WEWS-TV Cleveland.

Columbia Masterworks Stereo Fidelity, "Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade" New York Philharmonic, Bernstein cond., Good, EX , Cat. MS 6069

RCA Red Seal, "Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade", Philadelphia Orchestra, Ormandy conducts. NM Ex, Cat ARL 1-0028

Should be interesting to compare these last 2.

All were $1.50, almost 3 times my target price for LP's. I'm slipping...

Jeez, Oldtimer, just slip into his house and take it...if you can find it!

That E. Pluribus Biggs "Music of Jubilee" got me through the Viet thing...along with Firesign.

Yankovic? Mein Gott! I fear you may not have heeded my warning about the Swingle Singers.

Dave