1940's Klipschhorns

jcoddish

That's an interesting drawing. Based upon the 'scale' shown, it's designed for a 12" woofer.

This was probably the experimental model described in PWK's A Low Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions which appeared in the October, 1941 issue of The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.

There is a wedge on the tailboard which for some reason was not incoprporated in the full-size Klipschorn. Since there are turning wedges at the top and bottom of the vertical horn section it would make sense to have a wedge on the tailboard.

Lee

John,

The University driver you mention was used over many years, but it could support the idea of these Klipschorns being pre-1960 or older. The cabinets look like they have been nicely decorated with veneer and trim, which is not a bad thing--they probably started life as plain, unfinished fir plywood, without grills or framework.

Regardless of when they were made, the fact that they match is great--and puzzling. One of the struggles in dealing with very old K-horns is to come up with a matched pair, because they were sold as singles and there were so many cosmetic variations. At some point someone obviously did all the hard work and matched these up. If they sound as good as they look and the price is right, you may want to go for it.

triceratops

Perhaps they came from a home or estate with enough room for two systems.

I don't know that I'd expect to find Klipsch type serial numbers on kits, especially if they were made by EV or somebody.

I would expect to see "hand built" electronics since alternatives would have been extremely limited.

What happened to Khorn '48? I would've thought he would have weighed in already?

Hello.

Have some new information. I spoke to the daughter of the original owner who had a memory of her dad "working on the speakers" around 1954 or 55. While her statement doesn't give me a firm date it does strongly suggest the speakers are at least 53 years old.

Here's my best guess at their history: The sealed bass cabinets appear to have been purchased from PK or a professional supplier. The top horn sections were assembled by the owner from a kit before 1955. How much before is hard to say. The fact that these speakers are a matched pair (stereo) suggest that they are no older than 1952 or 53.

Any other input would be appreciated. Please let me know if I can post any other pics or specs.

JC

Hello.

Have some new information. I spoke to the daughter of the original owner who had a memory of her dad "working on the speakers" around 1954 or 55. While her statement doesn't give me a firm date it does strongly suggest the speakers are at least 53 years old.

Here's my best guess at their history: The sealed bass cabinets appear to have been purchased from PK or a professional supplier. The top horn sections were assembled by the owner from a kit before 1955. How much before is hard to say. The fact that these speakers are a matched pair (stereo) suggest that they are no older than 1952 or 53.

Any other input would be appreciated. Please let me know if I can post any other pics or specs.

JC

That makes sense to me. Very cool.

From Klipsch Master Historian Jim Hunter:

"There were definitely some kits and plans sold early on. The experience with these led PWK to discontinue the practice. These units look like either kits or built-from-plans, with some artistic license regarding the rear panels. I do know that PWK supplied some enclosed-back K-horns for PA use at Edwards Airforce Base when LBJ toured in the sixties. The HF horn is either a “replica” or is a modified K-5-D. I’d like to get a better look at it. There was mention earlier in the post that the 12 Baldwin units were “assembled” in Hope. The mating of a completed woofer cabinet with an HF section was done in Hope on some of them, but the LF cabinets were listed as F.O.B. Cincinnati in the earliest literature. There were also quite a few K-5-D’s and K-5-J’s sold individually (more than LF’s)."

"The HF horn is either a “replica” or is a modified K-5-D. I’d like to get a better look at it.

Any advice/information would be appreciated. I had quickly removed the side panel to take the pic's posted on 12/30, if helpful I could work a little harder to show more. Is there a particular view of the horn that would be instructive/

John

• 9 months later...

Not sure what kind of info you are looking for...You did say that this was built from a kit.....so not surprising that there are some different things in this one.

The crossover has an iron core inductor and what looks like modern caps, and plastic colored wire.

Khorns of this era had large wooden spools with wire wrapped around them as inductors , and paper in oil metal can capacitors.

The only khorn to ever use sealed backs were the kits licensed to electro-voice during the 50's as well as the the 60th anniversary model sold in recent years.

I hadn't noticed the dates and was going to comment 'we've seen these before', which of course, we have.

Glad you're enjoying them. Jim Hunter is the final word on these, no need to dig further really. Just enjoy.

I'm sure some of the network gurus here would like to see a better photo of the crossovers and will probably advise to update the capacitors. This is sage advice.

Michael

Dont know how I missed this thread until now?

They do not look like my all orig 47 khorn or my 51 ect.

They look home made to me plus I don't see way for the sound to get out the back, they

might not even be folded horns?

btw I used to be khorn58 I should change it to khorn 47.

""They do not look like my all orig 47 khorn or my 51 ect. They look home made to me plus I don't see way for the sound to get out the back, they""

Agree ...the plywood used on the tops is a dead give away....vs veneered lumber core.