Best Grammy "real moment" in my opinion..

IndyKlipschFan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument that Ms Winehouse has some serious problems. But as recently as a few months ago she was also a great singer. Maybe she even will be again, or maybe this is the end of the line. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I'd like to bring this topic back to music again. Has anyone besides soundbound watched these clips? I would love to hear some comments--especially if they are actually about the music.

Amy the very young jazz singer:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0

Amy unplugged (caution-explicit lyrics):

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/Amy+Winehouse/concerts/orange/Articles/AmyWinehouse.htm?isfa=1

Amy with her band in London (caution-explicit lyrics and drinking on stage):

http://msninconcert.msn.com/music/AmyWinehouse/en-ca/artist.aspx

triceratops

I'll stick my neck out. Stylistically she has it down pretty good. Her diction though is not that great, she slurs too much. Her voice could pack some more punch, it needs more support from the diaphragm. One thing I always listen for is can a singer hold a note true and steady for a reasonably long time. When they avoid doing so they are hiding a deficiency. You see that in amateur contests all the time. Her band is very competent, which helps a lot for the overall presentation. I would put her at freshman or sophomore level at a very good music school, showing promise but needing further instruction and polish. For comparison find a copy of Al Jarreau 1965. This album is basically a grad school project in which he sings standards. After listening to this, you will get an understanding for what I'm saying.

I would put her at freshman or sophomore level at a very good music school, showing promise but needing further instruction and polish.

Thanks, oldtimer--I think that is a pretty good call. She has limited music training. FWIW she attended a performing arts academy in England called The Brit School, but dropped out to start singing in clubs as a teenager.

I think folks who like her are mostly responding to her rawness and emotionalism, rather than her technical refinement. I actually like her songwriting and her lyrics--although the only way to pick them out is with a lyric sheet (LOL).

I think folks who like her are mostly responding to her rawness and emotionalism, rather than her technical refinement. I actually like her songwriting and her lyrics--although the only way to pick them out is with a lyric sheet (LOL).

Yep, I think I fit that quote.

Thanks for the CD info John. I'm going the BestBuy later today with the kids and will try to find that version of the Back to Black CD.