Testing new center channel speaker

Mudkicker

Hi

I bought a KV2 from Ebay and i got it today.

I wanted to test the speaker but i have yet to receive my Home Theatre Receiver.

So I hooked it up to my 2 channel amp to the A speaker , right side.

I poped in a cd and there is A LOT of distortion. The vocal is clear but the music is mostly distorted.

Please tell me that its because i did something wrong.

Thanks

Mud

Hi

thanks for the reply

when i push the woofers in, they both make the same sound, i cant really explain it but its like a deep scratching sound.

how else can i test this thing? i am hoping that its because i tried it on 2 channel amp....could this be the problem?

Mud

If you get scratching sounds by gently pressing on the woofers, they are shot! The voice coil windings are burnt, the distorted sound at any level would be another good indicator.

The KG 2.5V or another KG 2.5 would be the best center channel choice not the KV-2 for a pair of KG 2.5's.

Sorry, but that's not likely at all, JackDalton. Better chance of hitting the Mega Millions. Interesting first post to make, though.

Mudkicker - you've been sold a blown speaker. Pretty good chance the seller knew it, too. My opinion would be to make 1 attempt to resolve the issue with him via ebay messages (so there is a record). If it is not resolved to your satisfaction, do not hesitate, and open an item dispute immediately. Did you pay via paypal? Open a dispute there as well. If you otherwise paid by credit card - contact the issuing bank and have them reverse the charges. Folks like this are what has turned ebay into a crapshoot and cesspool of lawlessness... sususudio!

Thanks for all the replies.

Its the first speaker that i buy off the net and look what happened. The weird thing is that i was VERY paranoid about the whole purchase in the first place.

Worse case scenerio, i end up being stuck with it and get screwed......which will probably be the case, then, would it be something that it can be fixed? Is it even worth fixing (the cabinet and cover is MINT)?

If so, how much would it cost?

Thanks

Mud

The KG 2.5V or another KG 2.5 would be the best center channel choice not the KV-2 for a pair of KG 2.5's.

I agree, however, based on my first and only experience with buying a used speaker, i highly doubt that will happen. I guess that i will have to figure out what Klipsch products are currently available that would best match up with my KG 2.5's.

Any suggestions?

Mud

The seller wants no part of this. I even suggested that we split the repair cost and still they won't budge.

I opened up a Dispute on Paypal...we'll see what happens.

The cabinet and cover are in excellent condition. I paid a total of $82.00 for it. It will cost $38.00 to replace each woofer. Both need to be changed. So if i take that route, the total cost of the KV-2 will be $158.00. Is it worth it? How much did they cost brand new? How much does a current model cost that is the closest match to the KV-2.

Thanks for all the help on this matter.

Mud

Mudkicker - I'm not sure how much they were new but I would imagine quite a bit more than $158.00. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few go on eBay for $125.00 not too long ago. At least you'd have nice new woofs in yours.

Despite what my pal srobak (the ambassador, gracious welcomer of new members) says, damage in shipping should not be completely ruled out, though it is very possbile they are blown. A search on the forum seems to indicate that shifted magnets would also be a possibilty, Probably worth opening them up for a look.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the auction say regarding the working condition of the speaker? If it was clearly stated as-is you might be scewed. If that's not the case, what is the sellers reason for taking no responsibility? How was the speaker packed?

By the way, I'm slowly building a surround system myself. Picked up a pair of Chorus II's a few months back (for only $300.00!). Got a pretty good deal on a KLF-C7 center and a KSW-15 sub more recently. Now waiting for the right deals on rears and a receiver. I having a hard time with having to cough up as much, or nearly as much, as I paid for the Chorus II's for a relatively small pair of rear speakers. But they are evidently in strong demand.

Currently running a Yamaha RX-V592 that I got for $30.00. The Chorus II's blow me away. Every time I fire them up I can't believe how great they sound (I haven't had a decent system in a long time). The sub is a fun addition but haven't been able to utilize the center yet. The reciever only does Dolby Pro Logic and it sounds way better in regular stereo mode.

Thank you, sir. Great bunch of characters on the forum, and a wealth of knowlege. Decent taste in speakers, too.

Regards,

Art

(JackDalton is just a username I tend to use. When I was young any time I traveled my father always made me make a person to person to Jack Dalton (Jack was never there) to let him know I got to my destination safely)

I just sold a bunch of K-1016-SV 5.25" woofers used in this model on ebay for $15.00 each NOS. Sorry but I'm out. Makes a good little center channel. Don't know if the K-1076-K 5.25" I've got would work as a replacement. Can't recall if it's an 8 ohm like the 1016. If so you might give it a try.