Heresy I crossover rebuild

kg4guy

I had some extra parts around so I put them to work.I had two extra 2.5 #14 solen air core inductor and a bunch of 1.8 Kimber Kaps so I replaced the stock 2uf's with the 1.8 Kimber Kaps and added a Dayton .22 uf film and foil by-pass cap to come closer to the 2uf,not sure If needed to put the .22 in but I had a few of those as well so why not, The high end sound is much nicer now and as far as the low end I am not sure but I know the Heresy II uses coil inductors so it must be a better way to go but unless you want to spend the money I think the stocks are ok .

The Solen aircores are a big plus after listening and comparing the two ,one with new caps and old woofercoil to the one with new caps and new Solen aircores made the old bass sound muddy.

I had some extra parts around so I put them to work.I had two extra 2.5 #14 solen air core inductor and a bunch of 1.8 Kimber Kaps so I replaced the stock 2uf's with the 1.8 Kimber Kaps and added a Dayton .22 uf by-pass cap to come closer to the 2uf,not sure If needed to put the .22 in but I had a few of those as well so why not, The high end sound is much nicer now and as far as the low end I am not sure but I know the Heresy II uses coil inductors so it must be a better way to go but unless you want to spend the money I think the stock ones are fine.

Nice job but take the Dayton's out. You generally want to bypass cheap caps with better ones, not the other way around.

I just rebuilt a pair of crossovers in some 20 year old B&W's and the factory installed caps were close to the values in the schematic, but not that close. the 1.8's should be fine.

If you want some high quality caps that are relatively inexpensive, try Clarity Caps. Research them on Tony Gee's site.

It's depends on which Dayton's he used -- they do make a .22uF "bypass cap" which is film & foil. I agree he probably didn't need them since the Kimbers always come in a bit high anyways -- but what the heck -- they're in there now. I think the differences between the good metallized types is overstated, something I've been guilty of myself in the past. If you're going to pull out something like the Kimbers, might as well go for broke and go pure film or something like v-caps or mundorf oils.