Klipschorn or La Scala?

neo33

Well, today I found some very nice speakers from a guy local to me. He has about 7 or 8 pair of Heritage mostly Heresies. There is a very good pair of La Scala in Birch but painted black over with Alnico drivers and AA networks but no grills which he wants $650. There is also an excellent pair of early Heresy in Cherry that was made without grills with Alnico drivers which he wants $325. Are these good buys? Anyone care to comment?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neo, I would say good prices for both. If the LS are in good shape, you could have them refinished (assuming you wouldn't do it yourself). A set or Cherry Heresies would be nice... not a bad price if they are in good shape.

Marvel, The La Scalas is in very good shape, about 8.5 out of 10. There is no dings, the corner look sharp and the scraches are very mininal. The black paint looks excellent and covers the speakers well; he said he painted them with 3 coats. It gonna take a lot of work to refinish them in the origial birch, I think; for some reason I just don't like the look of black that much. The Cherry Heresies are in excellent shape almost perfect.

Neo,

When I first auditioned My KHorns in a Chicago suburban dealer, I tried to save a few bucks and auditioned the Las, Belles and Heresy. The KHorn's bass was the undisputed king. I had to have them. That was around 79 or 80, maybe 81. I have lived with my choice and have NEVER regretted it.I cannot be happy with less massive bass, one that to my ears is very natural. I think your room size is probably more suited ofr the KHorn than mine is. On my long wall, there's about 21 feet between the KHorns, 8-9 ft on the short wall. If you saw the post about the So Cal Hornhead thing I hosted, you'll see that I had them on the long wall. I've been in this house for about 2 years. Before that, I had a condo where there was the same separation of 20 ft between the horns. I guess I've gotten used to the poor imaging over all those years. We threw the KHorns on the shorter wall and then there was imaging. But I did notice a slight drop in the bass. Due to the room's layout, I will probably put them back on the longer wall and maybe look for a center channel. They block a set of doors my wife wants to open once in a while...

One thing which benefitted my KHorns a lot was replacing the stock crossovers with the ALKs, and Bruce Edgar (a horn designer himself) said that to his ears, the crossovers have overcome a shortcoming of the KHorn. I also dampened the squawkers with Dynamat and rope caulk.

If ya want the bass, go for the horns, son!

The black paint looks excellent and covers the speakers well; he said he painted them with 3 coats. It gonna take a lot of work to refinish them in the origial birch, I think; for some reason I just don't like the look of black that much.

Colour is a matter of taste, so what looks good to you is right. The black La Scalas show the dust a little more, but they also tend to look a little smaller in the room, especially in a dark corner. La Scalas aren't very tall and mine no longer look big at all, to my eyes at least.

• 2 weeks later...

A guy who is local to me had a very good pair of 1976 Birch La Scalas stained in walnut with alnico drivers, K-55 midhorns and AA crossovers. He wanted to trade me for my pair of Cornwall I. Is this a fair trade? Otherwise, he wanted $900 for the La Scalas.

Best thing to do is go over and listen to them. Price wise I think LS usually are more expensive than Cornwalls so a trade might be in your favor.

Someone else with better knowledge of the 76 LS might be able to give you a better idea. Are your Cornwalls stock or have you done any mods(reveneered, new crossover, etc)?

I did listen to these La Scalas and they are better then my Cornwalls in every which way even in a smaller room. The only think better about the Cornwalls is they are smaller and placement is much easier. My Cornwalls are stock unmodified. My understanding is that the K-55 drivers are the most desirable mid-horns in the La Scalas.