Static on felt mat

mowntnbkr

For an ESD mat to work, there would need to be a path to ground, and the ground strap has to pierce the mat, so not practical. I would guess an anti-static mat specifically designed for turntables wouldn't have a path to ground per se, but would probably be constructed of a material resistant to building up a static charge. I suppose if you had a conductive mat/platter/bearing/suspension you could tie that to ground, thereby eliminating ESD build-up......um, yeah, look for a discwasher ant-stat gun as suggested.

The ESD mat to which I referred would sit on a surface next to the turntable (or anywhere for that metter!) with a soft non-abrasive surface on which to set the record. Likewise, a grounded ESD wrist strap could also be useful (although I have never messed with it) in discharging static charges ona record.

I also would NOT be using a felt pad if I was worried about static on a turntable! I mean, why essentially have a strong static generator is your goal is to avoid static?

Of course I suppose one could play with a humidifier or any of the myriad ion generators out their to saturate the surrounding area - and if you were successful, without burning down the house, you might not have to worry about static in the vacinity of the TT. (And no, I am not sure what the effect would be on a magnetic cartidge, if any.)

It seems to me that you shouldn't be getting static build-up on your records as a rule. Fighting it before rather than after it builds is preferable, so a Zerostat seems like a backfill to me. I agree with the above comment that a felt mat is a real static-generator, and you should use something else. I think if your mat doesn't generate static electricity, you won't have it, or have to worry about draining it away.

The TD160 appears to be belt-driven. I know that rubber belts driving acrylic platters can build up a lot of static, and the solution is to shake the belt inside a bag with talcum powder. Works like a charm in my experience. The Thorens' drive and platter pulleys are probably metal, however, so probably not a solution in that case.

Also, is the humidity in your house extremely low, so that you get a lot of sparks jumping when you walk around the house? I can get episodes of big vinyl static when that happens at my place.

Larry

On my Technics turntable, the static buildup varies from none at all with certain records, to a little bit with most, to an extreme amount with a few records that almost glue themselves to the mat. Variations in ferrous material content? I have no idea.

The mat is a Plattermatter, one of those thick Sorbothane-type ones. I always use a carbon fiber brush to clean the disc before playing it and those brushes are said to remove static along with any dust.

I have a dumb question related to this. Can static buildup on vinyl discharge through the stylus/cartridge (and subsequently through the rest of the system)? I quite often get a loud pop when I drop my tonearm down on a record. The pop occurs sometimes before the stylus touches the vinyl and sometimes a second or two after finding and tracking the groove. I have connected to different pre/amp combos and the popping is still prevalent.

Oh, I forgot to add...there is no felt mat or similar. Just acrylic platter.

-PB

Yes, I definitely get that kind of pop if static has built up enough. Probably jumps from the vinyl to the stylus/cantilever or cart body. Acrylic platters seem to store static electricity but not drain it away because they're non-conductive. For me, that's the time to drag out the cotton gloves and the plastic baggie with the talcum powder, take off the belt and put it in there, give it a few shakes, shake the belt after you take it back out, and remount. The side of the platter can get a little powdery when you put the belt back on, but it works for me.

Ah, interesting. What kind of Basis table you running Larry? I have a Basis 1400 with RB250 tonearm (with wire mod, no counterweight mod). I ran the system for about 6 months on SS receiver with no issues (at least I never noticed), then switched to Blueberry/VRD combo and almost instantly had pops. I've since switched back to a different SS reciever to see if the problem followed, and it did (but not near as prevalent or loud as with tubes). I thought it was going to be a grounding or cart related problem.

So just to clarify, you suggest putting talc on the drive belt only? Seems odd that it is the culprit, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

-PB

I have a dumb question related to this. Can static buildup on vinyl discharge through the stylus/cartridge (and subsequently through the rest of the system)? I quite often get a loud pop when I drop my tonearm down on a record. The pop occurs sometimes before the stylus touches the vinyl and sometimes a second or two after finding and tracking the groove. I have connected to different pre/amp combos and the popping is still prevalent.

Oh, I forgot to add...there is no felt mat or similar. Just acrylic platter.

-PB

That would freak me out.

What kind of Basis table you running Larry? I ran the system for about 6 months on SS receiver with no issues (at least I never noticed), then switched to Blueberry/VRD combo and almost instantly had pops. I've since switched back to a different SS reciever to see if the problem followed, and it did (but not near as prevalent or loud as with tubes). I thought it was going to be a grounding or cart related problem.

So just to clarify, you suggest putting talc on the drive belt only? Seems odd that it is the culprit, but I'll give it a try.

Basis Ovation, an older model. Now I'm not so sure about the cause if they only came after you switched to the BB. Still, I need to powder my TT belt every year or so. Static apparently is caused by the rubber belt working against the acrylic, and the powder acts like a lubricant.