New Speaker Wire Recs

erikill

I'm in the process of upgrading from RF3-IIs to RF-7s. I am using a Denon 3806 current across some Monster XP wire (I believe). With the 7's I am planning on going with either a rotel RB-1080 or acurus A200x3. My question is what would you recommend. My EE classes would tell me go with the thicker gauge wire, but Monster doesn't list what gauge the M-series MCX stuff is (which looks like its mostly jacketed). I just need new runs for the front - but I will probably need to redo the backs which have to run across the floor (may be better than the 16 gauge RCA i'm using. Curious to see what you guys use.

Which version did you go with MCX1 or MCX2? It lists the OD as 11mm which 12 gauge would be 2mm wire diameter. I need to upgrade the wire since I was looking and noticed a good bit of oxidation in the clear wire. I just think I should get a spool and make my own lengths - I'm not trying to be pretty - even solidering the ends.

I'm assuming you are referring to this HD wire - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100598646 - That's similar to what I have now which is why I am worried about additional oxidation in the wire (and going with the heavy jacket wire. However price wise this isn't a big deal to do since 35 bucks and I can do all my fronts - and then maybe some rears w another spool.

Just a comment. While I do not have big issues with the article, I am a bit surprised by the comments regarding wire corrosion.

Throughout the article they (correctly) stress that the resistance is the primary focus of concern with wire.

Yet when they encounter wire that corrodes (supposedly due to the chemical nature of the insulation) the issue that takes center stage is the color!

A simple measurement of the resistance would have quantified their fear of the green color and one might have a real result of any degradation.

But since the fundamental issue of concern was suddenly forgotten amidst the panic over seeing something green, we are left with an emotional reaction and only our assumptions. And everyone knows that green wire conducts electrical signals worse than gold colored wire. [*-)]

But then we have a forum dominated by the thought that current flows due to the movement of electrons (it does NOT!) rather than via charge and a magnetic field! Oh well! At least we don't let physics confuse us.

What would have been nice is for some form of quantification (a measurement!) to have occurred!

Wouldn't it be nice if science was actually included in 'things audio'?

One can dream...

post-23237-13819361006408_thumb.png

Well I think the issue is more than the green is the oxidation which would lead to impurities in the copper making it not as conductive as possible. Agreed they should have taken a VOM and measured the resistance over the course of the 2 wires to see if it makes a difference, but the green insulation isn't as worrysome as on the wire itself (which my monster cable does isn't that sacrilegous to them?). However if the cable has a solid colored insulator you would be unable to tell unless you cut into the wire / redid the ends. But again there is more conductor to transmit the electrical current on (in the 12 gauge) so that will affect the wire (plus heat). I need to crack out my audio engineering book lol.

Anyone used Ghost Wire in existing rooms ? IOW applied it to walls, around corners and painted over it ? I first saw it in the thread re: new construction, but am looking for use in a finished room.

Here is a post that was on here some time ago, is this the one you are talking about? You might want to send him a pm and ask your questions.

James

Anyone used Ghost Wire in existing rooms ? IOW applied it to walls, around corners and painted over it ? I first saw it in the thread re: new construction, but am looking for use in a finished room.

Yes, the new "man cave" is ghost wired. It works perfectly. I ran it under the hardwood flooring and terminated it at about 2" above the molding. It's hidden at that point behind the speakers. That being said, I still have a partial spool of about 50' that I will use in the master bedroom in about 5-6 months when we change out the speakers and repaint the room. That ghost wire will be applied behind the molding/baseboard (new baseboards....).