RF7 Dilemma

bignasty27

I don't think the RC-7 is ported, I have the RC-35 and it is not. If that is the case, then no, you should be ok as long as it is as close to the front edge as possible. Most center speakers are designed to be in a tight space.

Glad it made a digfference.

Later

I don't think the RC-7 is ported, I have the RC-35 and it is not. If that is the case, then no, you should be ok as long as it is as close to the front edge as possible. Most center speakers are designed to be in a tight space.

Glad it made a digfference.

Later

Ummmmm.................you are quite mistaken here. The RC-7 is proted in the back, and the RC-35 is ported in the front, next to each woofer.

Q: Where exactlly is the foam supposed to be located inside? Mine is along the bottom and extends up toward the driver, just covering the bottom of it a bit. Is it supposed to be tucked all the way down below the driver? Does it really matter much? I know, if it sounds good, don't mess with it. I'm just curious.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure, don't have RF7's, but anywhere is better than over the port.

Glad they are sounding better, experiment a little with placement, it makes a big difference especially with a ported speaker, good luck.

I was thinking about moving them around but the problem is that they are in my basement in a custom wall unit I made especially for the RF7's

[:o]

thanks for all the suggestions.....

I managed to take them out of the wall unit and sit them just in front of it. WOW..what a difference. The bass was there, little details that were not there before are now. Everything came alive. Even my wife noticed the difference right away...

[Y]

Hello:

I'm just about finishing a new home and have the following laid out in a non-dedicated HT room. RF-7's, RC-7, KS-7800's surrounds and CDT-5800 backs. I want the RF-7 as close to the front wall as possible. Take a look at the pic. I was planning on using a VERY short 90 deg elbow on the back of the RF-7's port to re-direct the air up (which I have plenty of room). Hopefully a 6" elbow won't re-tune the speaker. But it will definilty allow the speaker to still breath. I plan on using a plumbing type fitting to get the air up. Should I even try it or will I get bad results? I'll be in the home in about a month.

Jonathan

MediaPlanklipschRF7sBot.jpg

After reading the entire thread....I, too, think it's all about speaker placement. Regarding your hardware...I have the RB-1080 from Rotel specifically for driving the RF-7. This is a well treated subject on these forums, and the choice is sound and very complementary to the RF-7. Current requirements of the low-impedance swings of the RF-7 are easily met. The Acurus for surround, and center is way more than enough. The Adcom pre/pro...well I just don't have experience with it, but I don't see it as a major bottle neck either. It looks good on paper.

My RF-7s are sitting "free and clear", more than 20 inches from any wall (or cabinet for that matter) and sound great with the Rotel amp. I would stick with what you have....a "receiver" would only interest me if it had a bunch of bells and whistles that I really need...but I would still use my external amps anyway....separate power supplies, transformers, etc...is great to have for getting the last bit of detail. You also have a potentially dynamite 2 channel playback set up with the separate 2channel amp dedicated to your RF-7 mains. Depending on the source material, I'm often more impressed with the 2 channel output alone than I am with multi...again, it depends on the source.

Bottom line, you've got the right equipment. Follow the advice so well given so far. Get those babies out in the open! check polarity!! get a SPL meter and get the output balanced!.....check room furnishings...tweak...and then rebalance again. That great sound is in there somewhere!

Roger