Westerns

callmeishmael

I work for the company that sets all of the video sections for Wal-Mart and can vouch that Once Upon is $5 at some of the stores and will now be located not only in some $5 dump bins but also in their "inline" sections. That's just their A-Z main library of older titles. Usually right after New Releases. One of my favorite little-known westerns is the offbeat Johnny Guitar. Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McAmbridge & Ernest Borgine...the good guys wear black...the main antagonist and protagonist are both female...not your typical western by a long shot.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I should have it today from flix but will probably buy it too.

Our local WW dumped the dump bins and now (thankfully) the $5 section is neatly racked in a cube display. Only complaint is that two of the sides are hard to browse because they face the aisle.

My favorite is a western, but not in the "cowboys & indians" sense - it takes place right after WWII.

"Bad Day At Black Rock."

Directed by John Sturges (The Great Escape) and starring Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Ann Francis, Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine & Lee Marvin. Sound score by Andre Previn.

"A very superior example of motion picture craftsmanship." - Pauline Kael

James

n

• Moderators

John Wayne movie where his redhead wife gets uppity about him drinking beer so her chases her through the town to give her a good spanking!--McClintock?

Yup, that's McClintock, but with a "!" at the end instead of a "?" [:)] Maureen O'Hara was the red-head, and it also starred the woman who played Lily on The Munsters. I believe she passed away recently....

Oh, and someone mentioned the Trinity movies....boy, those are so bad, they're good. Horrible dubbing, horrible acting, but just horrible enough to be campy and funny. I had an ex who loved them.

My all-time favorite western is Pale Rider, followed closely by Unforgiven. Red River was good also....but I'm a big Montgomery Clift fan.

Two more recent ones that didn't get wide release both with Tommy Lee Jones:

"The Missing" with Cate Blanchett, a very gritty story with an incredibly evil and ugly Indian witch doctor. Cate and Tommy chase a bunch of very cruel bandits through some very rugged country with the help of Indians.

and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada , where Tommy chases a killer to make him do whats right to honor his Mexican victim. Again --very rugged country, and Tommy is brutally forthright--

Both great westerns showing enlightening clashes of American, Indian, and Mexican cultures-- grittier than Unforgiven--

icon-quote.gif
theryugobuddy:
John Wayne movie where his redhead wife gets uppity about him drinking beer so her chases her through the town to give her a good spanking!--McClintock?

Yup, that's McClintock, but with a "!" at the end instead of a "?" Smile Maureen O'Hara was the red-head, and it also starred the woman who played Lily on The Munsters. I believe she passed away recently

*Yvonne DeCarlo.....Fabulous Actress!