Westerns

callmeishmael

I saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence this weekend, and I had forgotten how good some of the old western are. I also saw The Rainmaker which stars Burt Lancaster, Katherine Hepburn and Lloyd Bridges, a lesser known great flick. It is not really a western, but close. But there is one western I have been wanting to see for years. It is The Hanging Tree with Gary Cooper, Karl Mauldin and a newcomer, George C. Scott. It was supposed to be released on DVD two years ago but never appeared. Come on Warner.

Amazon has a synopsis of these movies if you are interested.

Seen any good westerns lately?

I spotted 'Once upon a time in the West' in the Wally Wurld discount rack the other day and made a note to check for it later (I try not to impulse buy). On my next trip it was gone ...

I recall seeing it for a film studies class that I took to fulfill my basketweaving requirement in Engineering school and had an odd desire to watch it for entertainment 25 years later, maybe it will come up again.

The Western Channel or TNT Saturdays!

*****Shane 1952 starring Alan Ladd, Jack Palance & others of equal note!

*****One-Eyed Jacks 1960? Marlon Brando, Karl Mauldin

As a kid the local cinema/drive in was where it was at! Western Channel brings it home

I spotted 'Once upon a time in the West' in the Wally Wurld discount rack the other day and made a note to check for it later (I try not to impulse buy). On my next trip it was gone ...

I recall seeing it for a film studies class that I took to fulfill my basketweaving requirement in Engineering school and had an odd desire to watch it for entertainment 25 years later, maybe it will come up again.

Fonda as a bad guy.....cool!

WestWorld? Yul Brenner as a android gone beserk! Richard Benjamin, as himself!

Sergio Leonne, King of the spaghettis westerns. Did them better than jsut about any American. That's a great flick but an even better one (almost as good as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is "Duck You Sucker", James Coburn and Eli Wallach in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. Give yourself a treat and check it out.

Hey guys, don't forget the ultiamte western, "High Noon".

Sergio Leonne, King of the spaghettis westerns. Did them better than jsut about any American. That's a great flick but an even better one (almost as good as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is "Duck You Sucker", James Coburn and Eli Wallach in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. Give yourself a treat and check it out.

Hey guys, don't forget the ultiamte western, "High Noon".

Will do, off to Flix ...

My bad I meant Rod Steiger. Have I mentioned you'll love the music.

Rodsteiger's best role IMO was as Joy Boy in the 1965 movie The Loved One. Here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1qwnGCXCQ .

Theatrical trailer for the 1965 satire "The Loved One" starring

Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, Anjanette Comer, Milton

Berle, Margaret Leighton, Tab Hunter Liberace, Roddy McDowall, James

Coburn and John Gielgud. Directed by Tony Richardson.

Screenplay by Terry Southern.

"For A Few Dollars More"......My mule may get the crazy idea that your laughing at him. Now I'm sure if you men were to apologize (sic).....

"High Plains Drifter" .............This place is gonna look like hell when we've finished......I reckon so......

What was the movie's name with Henry Fonda and this (European) actor, that slaps the gunfighter then draws his pistol..then holsters..then slaps...etc.

A commercial was made.....from a clip...

I'm not that big a fan of old westerns, but two "new" ones I recently got through Netflix were quite good: The Jack Bull (1999), with John Cusack, and Monte Walsh (2003), with Tom Selleck. Both have very good stories and spectacular scenery. Surprisingly, both were made-for-(pay)TV. I would reallly never have guessed that, as the production values were equal to any theatrical western I have seen. I have heard that the original Monte Walsh, with Lee Marvin, is good as well.

What was the movie's name with Henry Fonda and this (European) actor, that slaps the gunfighter then draws his pistol..then holsters..then slaps...etc.

Is the actor's name Terence Hill? I think the movie is one of the "They Call Me Trinity..." westerns. I think he made 2 or 3 of those movies. The link below is long, but I think it is the one you may be talking about. FF to about 9:00 mark for the slapping. There is another scene from one of the other movies that was used for the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9gfIoRmoc&feature=related

Is the actor's name Terence Hill? I think the movie is one of the "They Call Me Trinity..." westerns. I think he made 2 or 3 of those movies.

Exactly(Terence Hill), thanks! I believe I may have seen just the one with Fonda. Guess I'll have to find the 2 other's, cause very funny dude.

I saw the classic John Wayne western 'Sons of Katie Elder' on HDNET last week. I must say the Duke looked pretty good in HD. Im glad they are starting to put the older movies out in HD. I remember watching the old westerns as a kid because that is what my dad ALWAYS watched. I really didnt care for them then, but have grown to enjoy them in recent years. Of course the John Wayne and Eastwood westerns are the best.

I verified that WW has Once Upon a Time in the West for <$10, but it was listed as online only, which is odd because I know I saw it in the store. I put it on my Flix Q, but I am tempted to order it.

Close up shot of Bronson and Fonda's face with those innocent looking blue eyes......Shades of....Good,Bad& Ugly.

Has anyone seen The Hanging Tree? Karl Mauldin makes a great villan. George C. Scott plays a drunken preacher in a memorable performance. And I cannot fail to mention Maria Schell, older sister of Maximilian. hubba hubba! Check out the title song by Marty Robbins. Was up for an Oscar. This movie is as good as High Noon and it should be released on DVD. It is a shame it is not.

I work for the company that sets all of the video sections for Wal-Mart and can vouch that Once Upon is $5 at some of the stores and will now be located not only in some $5 dump bins but also in their "inline" sections. That's just their A-Z main library of older titles. Usually right after New Releases. One of my favorite little-known westerns is the offbeat Johnny Guitar. Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McAmbridge & Ernest Borgine...the good guys wear black...the main antagonist and protagonist are both female...not your typical western by a long shot.