Forte II and the right Amp

Anult

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the Klipsch family through my recent aquisition of a pair of Forte II's. First of all - they sound awesome....

But, I have two questions:

- The passive radiator on one of the speakers has a slight tear on it - less than an inch long. Will this affect the sound? If so, can this be mended or does it need to be replaced?

- I currently have them plugged into a Krell KAV 300i. In addition, I have a Rotel RB-980BX that I could hook them up to as well - any thoughts on what would do the Forte's the best justice?

Oh, and one more question, I have a $99 Coscto special CD/DVD combo player, and OBVIOUSLY I need to get a quality dedicated CD player. Any suggestions for the best deal out there, either via eBay, CL or new?

Thank you in advance for any insight!!!

Cheers,

Dirck

Dirck,

Congrats on the Forte II's. Excellent speakers.

On the tear in the PR, it definitely needs to be repaired. Probably can get by without replacement. Others will chime in on this, I'm sure for good advice.

I don't know why it wouldn't work to cement a patch on the inside. As long as it's sealed it will be fine, I think.

On amps, Forte's will sound good with about any decent quality amp.

Surprisingly, inexpensive DVD/CD players can produce some impressive sound. I listened to a state of the art theatre speaker demo in the engineering dept at Hope and the source was an Emerson DVD. There is a whole world of quality CD players out there if you want to go that way.

What's your CD player budget?

Hey Anult, Welcome aboard ............. If it's the passive radiator in the back of the speaker, I've got a story for you !!!! I know where you can get 2 radiators, the catch being, the dust caps are dented, just dented, for the shippings charges. They are free, you pay for shipping ..... he changed them because of the crushed dust cap, they work just fine ...................

Comments in CAPS (EASY TO READ....)

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the Klipsch family through my recent aquisition of a pair of Forte II's. First of all - they sound awesome....

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

But, I have two questions:

- The passive radiator on one of the speakers has a slight tear on it - less than an inch long. Will this affect the sound? If so, can this be mended or does it need to be replaced?

MEND IT. GO TO HOME DEPOT AND GET SOME LIQUID LATEX, OR THAT STUFF TO DIP WRENCH HANDLES IN. TAKE A SMALL PAINT BRUSH AND CAREFULLY BRUSH THAT ON THE TEAR. LET SIT FOR 24 HOURS. IT WILL BIND AND SEAL THE TEAR.

- I currently have them plugged into a Krell KAV 300i. In addition, I have a Rotel RB-980BX that I could hook them up to as well - any thoughts on what would do the Forte's the best justice?

HARD CALL... KRELL? I WILL DEFER THAT TO OTHERS INASMUCH AS I USE OLD VINTAGE SANSUI AMPS.

Oh, and one more question, I have a $99 Coscto special CD/DVD combo player, and OBVIOUSLY I need to get a quality dedicated CD player. Any suggestions for the best deal out there, either via eBay, CL or new?

SAME ADVICE. I USE TASCAM PRO EQUIPMENT FOR DVD AND CD, SO THAT WOULD NOT BE A FAIR THING FOR ME TO CHIME IN ON.

Thank you in advance for any insight!!!

Cheers,

Dirck

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!!

Funny you should post your question. I just bought an RB-980BX this week and have it hooked up to my Forte IIs as we speak! It sounds very, very nice with them.

I just purchased a Cambridge Audio CD player this week too. I don't have it yet (thanks to UPS sending it to the wrong place, but that's another story) but they have a great reputation. Many people love their 640C Azur model which occasionally dips to the $250-$350 range on eBay and Audiogon.

I know that Krell makes very nice equipment so you probably won't experience too much of a change going to the Rotel.

I briefly used a Krell KAV-300i with my KLF-20's and Chorus II's. To me and in my system, it was not a good match. It was very digital, rigid and on the bright side. It reminded me of when I first bought my Klipsch KLF-20's and paired them with an Adcom pre & amp. It's like getting put into a body cast and then trying to get your groove on.

Then the good folks over here introduced me to tubes.....ah.....I'm in love! [:D]

A few suggestions in no particular order:

1. Upgrade the xover networks

2. Get a integrated tube amp

3. If budget is limited, look at the OPPO to upgrade your source/CDP

Thanks vman71!

How can I tell if the xovers need replacing? Can you recommend a good source? They sound pretty good - possibly a little garbled as I push the system into the stratosphere, but that could just be my eardrums melting....

This forum rocks - again, thanks for your input everyone!