DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TOSHIBA HD-1,HD-2,HD-3

iwillwalk

The differences in the HD-A2 and the A3 are minimal, as the A3 was simply an update to the 720p line of HD-DVD players. If you can find the A-20 or A-30 for similar prices, then you are talking. They will play HD-DVDs and upconvert to 1080p. Having said that, they are not neccesarily automatically "better" than an Oppo. I tried out my newly acquired DV-980H at 1080p on a friend's 65" Toshiba DLP watching the bank robbery scene in Spider Man 2, and it looked STUNNING, much better than any HD-DVD upconversion I've seen a similar sized screen. I guess you can say the HD-DVD players are "better" in that they will play the now-defunct HD-DVD format discs. But then, most Oppo players will play SA-CDs and DVD-audio discs, which are still being made. To each his own.

For under $90.00 what difference does it make ? It's a dis-continued DVD player not matter what number you put on it ....... as far as that goes, Wally's-world has $28.00 DVD players that will play anything, anytime, if cost is big factor ................ hold on a little longer, Toshiba will be flooding the market to move their warehouse stock ................ Cheaper doesn't mean Better ..............

I have a couple of nice HD DVD's also and would like to get an inexpensive player so I can appreciate these discs. Is there a level of quality in these discontinued HD players that would make them only a moderate increase in quality over playing on a standard player or is the difference so stunning that even on a budget HD player I'll notice a difference?

Colter,

It typically depends on your TV. My A2 is 1080i max output but my TV is supposed to have one of the best 1080p upscaling chipsets that were available when I bought it. A lot of people who have had several HD players have said that ultimately the A1 (First HD-DVD player from Toshiba) was their favorite. Build quality, sound quality, etc was the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE found a hd-3  for 89.00

a hd-2 for 85.00

& a  dr-400 89.00

so  what is the better of them

at that price i can put one in each room

and there all better than oppo........ 

According to who? I'm not disputing that it has some flexibility over the oppo (in that you can play a dead format), but the oppos got some of the highest scores ever at Secrets of HT and Hi-Fi on the benchmarks. Plus I would be willing to bet...now I am an unabashed oppo fan...but I am willing to bet that an oppo will kill the tosh for audio.