Shopping HDTV

colterphoto1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love a new plasma. Congrats on the purchase!!!

Thanks man, coming from you, I take it that I did well in my selection process. Steve Phillips said I did well. Now if I can get Picky's stamp of approval I can breathe again.

I got a strip style (kinda looks like rack mount component) surge protector from AR. It has the voltage readout too. Any good for $100?

I just did some algebra (and I thought I'd never use it past 9th grade)

Using this calculator to figure the diagonal of various ratio screens

We find that my 35" 4:3 screen would display 32" diagonal at 16:9, the 42" is built as 16:9 so the difference in effective movie diagonal is 32-> 42

About 45 minutes of algebra later, the old set is 437 in2 of usable screen while the 42" is 754 in2, that is a 1.7x increase in usable screen area!

Not bad for going from a 35 to 42" TV that only takes up about 5" more in total floor width!

• Moderators

Michael, your going to love the way it looks, with your Pink Floyd DVD.

" And the food was pretty good as well tonight! "

Now Roger, I know you were not thinking of the food !

Hey there's an Idea get one of them outfits for your ticket booth girl !

After a 10:30 WalMart run to pick up a necessary HDMI cable we got things up and running. I have to thank my very good friend Roger, for staying with this until we got picture, I was about insane with all the switching etc. This HDMI has a lot of rules. The Toshiba HD player would pass vid signal via composite or component just fine, but to get the HD disk to play, it had to have 720 output. To get digital audio necessitated the HDMI cable. Once the DVD-AVD player HDMI connection was made, the AVD-Plasma connection would not work via Component, it had to be the HDMI cable the best we could figure out.

To switch from either DVD player to the internal tv tuner now takes switching the source component on the AVD AND switching the input source from HDMI to Cable (antenna) on the TV- arrrggghhh

AND when I use the HDMI input, I LOSE any on-screen menus with my Yamaha. AND the volume display on the AVD itself is now no longer the -XX db, but a useless bar chart....

I have a lot of work to do, this is frustrating even for me. How does the industry expect John Q. Public to get through all this?

But it looks, well [:P] [:D] [:o] yup THAT GOOD!

I'm moving the subwoofers and neatening up some wiring today. Probably a call to Phillips is in order.

great, remote on Toshiba HDVD is inop, guess it's back to costco on Monday

[later that same morning]

I was going to delete the above but thought it would serve a purpose...

I have several new components and a few old and borrowed ones. There are three Sony remotes although both Sony DVD's are down and the 35" is gone. I found another Toshiba remote and THAT'S the one for the new HD DVD. The one I had been trying was the one for another DVD player that Harry O had loaned me (I was SURE that I didn't own any other Toshiba gear). So given the correct remote, things work quite well.

Proving that no matter how much you think you know about HT, we can all get confused..... [:S] [:$]

New Colter Rule - Rid thyself of excess remotes.

Now to program in the new components and try a few macros on the Yammie AVR learning remote [8o|]

Michael,

Have you looked at the Logitect Harmony remotes, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/?WT.mc_id=usym_/harmony_global&strf=Universal_Symlink. I purchased the 880 a few months back and could not be happier. All the set up is done on their web site, it saves your settings also, and it takes only a few minutes. You have to have all the components listed with model numbers but once that is written down everything is a snap. I don't know how I ever lasted before I get this, I use to have four remotes cable, tv, dvd, vcr, five if you count the cd player that has since been moved to the 2-channel setup.

James

I had gotten a Toshiba HD DVD [ now defunct] from Costco for $80. Came with 2 HD DVD's in the box and a coupon for 5 more. I figured that's $10 each for a player and movie titles. I consider it a 'starter' setup although the picture is terrific.

Samsung Plasma set came from HH Gregg.

Got em both the same week. I could not play the HD discs on 480p mode to my old 35" tv, so this was just the kick I needed to go full bore with HD. I'd purchased a Yamaha RX-V2600 with HDMI and upconverting last year so was pretty ready to make the transition.

Thanks James, we have a Harmony at work, and Roger uses a Pronto (I think).

I'm going to see how it goes with the Yamaha unit and macros but might very well step up to a universal.

Right now it's

Yamaha AVR

Yamaha DVD

Toshiba HD DVD (I'm keeping both in the loop to reduce wear on the HD unit)

Denon Cassette

Samsung Plasma

That's 5 that I'm currently using to some extent. (and another 4-5 lying about for some unknown reason)

(and another 4-5 lying about for some unknown reason)

Now that is the best part... [:P] For some odd reason I was the same way, I had a few that I didn't know why I still had them. It was like a stock pile of remotes, whenever someone came over they didn't know which remote turned on the TV let alone turned the surround sound on. Now it's just a push of a single button, technology what a great thing.

James

Michael,

Thanks for the explanation..............I am in the same "Remote Boat"................plus I need to let go of my Sony VCR and upgrade my Panasonic S29 DVD player with a newer Blu Ray Model. But that will have to wait, until prices come down some more............Good Luck.

Trey and Steve just stopped by for a little while to run the video test DVD's and check out the new system. I think they were very impressed with the black levels, color, and sharpness of the Plasma. Very little artifacting and the way I have things set up there is no screen glare. We moved the KLF-C7 on top of the old TV stand, which allows it to shoot over the coffee table better (it was on the floor inside the cabinet, previously was on TOP of the 35"), and this also raised up the Plasma about 11" so it's more in line of sight when in the first recline position.

The color is as good during the day with windows open as it is of an evening.

Thanks for coming by guys! It's sheer madness when you get three Klipsch Techs (Trey used to do Tech) in the same room! [8-|] [:o] [<:o)]