I'm looking for someone in Texas who has a Tube amp I can listen to my speakers on.

bigdaddy

I'm actually bunking in at my BIL's place in Mansfield, just down 360. I would LOVE to come by and hear some Jubilees!! I work in Carrollton and probably drive by Mr. Carlton's place 10X a week, so it would be nice to meet him too.

All my SET tube gear is back in Hilton Head with the family (and the Khorns, Cornwall II's, Belles, Heresies, Danley TOP, etc, but my wife isn't complaining) so it will be a few months before I can show up with some quality low power gear (no flames, please).

Chris, just shoot me an email on the private messages. It should make its way to my Treo and leave a number. I'll give you a call. This weekend is pretty clear, then I'm heading to the West Coast M-F and back next weekend.

Dang ... Jubilees Wink

PS: I have 2 pairs of KG4's and they sound great with tubes ... or even better, try a Sonic Impact for $30 ... They'll impress you.

Chris,

You have a PM.

Chris A.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Daddy,

The original Sonic Impact Class T amplifer was meant for a computer speaker system or a desktop speaker system for a portable CD player or anything that has a stereo headphone or output jack. You could buy their own inexpensive speakers to go with this inexpensive amp. Their output power is low and therefore attracted the attention of high efficiency speaker owners. I have one and it does pretty well. It can be damaged very easily by too high a power supply voltage to it as well as over driving it. A friend of mine had one that lasted 10 minutes. He overdrove it. But keeping it within its limits has provided much satisfaction for many people. It originally cost about $30-$40. You supplied the battery power or transformer power via a wallwart. People said that a minimum 1 amp wall wart gave it the best sound and dynamics. The original version is not made anymore. An updated version is available, but I am not sure of the price.

You can read about it on the following website: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

There is alot of information on the web about them, especially modifying them to provide a better fequency response.

Wrinkles

I had a honey-do like as long as my arm today, but she gave me a kitchen-pass to head over to Chris's today and hear what all the fuss over these dang Jubes is all about. Just have to do laundry this morning, pre-pack, and see if I can find a CD or two in the car. EVERYTHING I own is back in Hilton Head.

Looking forward to meet Chris and Big Daddy [:P] Chris seems very nice, and he's sure kind to open his home to us.

Best wishes.

Chris

I'd like to pass along a huge "thank you" to Chris for his hospitable invitation and great spread that he put out for Rick and I. Chips, dips, spreads, sodas, cubes, stacks and stacks of CD's ... and of course, the JUBILEES.

I was trying to think of the best way I could describe them, but Rick said it at the end of our visit, and I thought it was right on. He said, "Those are really easy to listen to ..." I couldn't agree more. Ever have gear just scream at you and try to drill holes through your forehead? Well these are definitely not them. The two-way design and HUGE 402 horn just put out a seamless sound field that follows you around the room like Mona Lisa's eyes. The integrity of the music remains intact, and the emotional impact of the music is supreme.

Whether or not a pair of these are in my future is hard to say. If my wife decides to leave me someday, then definitely yes. I sure hope that doesn't happen because I love her dearly, and in the meantime, Klipschorns sound pretty durned good.

The Jubilees are just a cut above ... or better yet, entirely in a class by themselves.

Thanks again, Chris, for a wonderful afternoon. It was great meeting you. I hope to return the favor when we get settled down a little later this year. Bring the missus and Tommy too, a funny and wonderful Border Collie.

Chris

PS: Rick, let us know if Kansas is in your future. Best to you all.

I'll start again by extending my thanks, you really out did yourself. Here's my impressions on those big boys. When they were first turned on it's immediately clear how inferior my speakers are in comparison. They are stunningly clear and the imaging is as good as I've ever heard. I felt the bass was a little lacking to tell the truth(I'll get back to this point in a bit). We listened to a variety of Jazz and a little blues, some Allison Kraus(spelling?) No matter where you stand in the room you can hear both speakers clearly(ok maybe not right up next to one of the speakers). After a 1 1/2 hours he put in a cd designed to show off your systems bottom end. It was phenomenal. Clean tight Bass down as low as you can expect a subless system to go. So my initial assesment of lacking bass was probably more due to my being unfamiliar with the source material. I can't say I'll ever have a set of these because these damn things are big. Although not nearly as intrusive as I thought they would be. But then if I get the right Man cave I could change my mind. Again really beautiful sounding speakers. If you ever get the chance to hear them, GO. I just didn't have time to get a HT listen but maybe another time.

Thanks guys--I had a lot of fun.

My offer is still out there for Klipsch connoisseurs to
come for a listen. If you can make it to the D/FW area, just send me a PM and we’ll
make some plans.

Chris A.

Pulled off the Net -- I didn't write the following:

The Origin Of The Saying

In November of 1978, the world was shocked by the suicide deaths of 913 members of the People's Temple cult. Jim Jones, the leader of the group, convinced his followers to move to Jonestown, Guyana, a remote community that Jones carved out of the South American jungle and named after himself. Jones constantly feared losing control of his followers. His paranoia was the main reason he moved the cult to Guyana.

The mass suicide occurred after U.S. Rep. Leo Ryan of California and a team of reporters visited the compound to investigate reports of abuse. After some members tried to leave with the congressman’s group, Jim Jones had Ryan and his entourage ambushed at the nearby airstrip. He then ordered his flock to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Kool-Aid laced with potassium cyanide.

The mass suicide wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment decision. During the weeks that preceded the dreadful event, Jones had conducted a series of suicide drills, according to survivors. An alarm call would sound and every person in the camp would line up to receive a fatal dosage. These exercises in insanity proved that all of the adults at the compound knew what would be the result of their actions.

The People’s Temple did not start off as your average mind-controlling cult. It initially gained much respect as an interracial mission for the sick, homeless and jobless. Jim Jones did not manifest his darker side until near the end.

One lasting legacy of the Jonestown tragedy is the saying, “Don’t drink the Kool-Aid.” This has come to mean, "Don’t trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side." Of course, you would have to know of Kool-Aid’s dubious connection to Jim Jones to understand the proverb.

I must also give another kinder defination of the Koolaid reference. Tom Wolf had a book called the "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test", a romping good bio. on Ken Keasy & the Merry Pranksters. A more positive thought then Jonestown.[:D]

Cornman

I felt the bass was a little lacking to tell the truth(I'll get back to this point in a bit).

So my initial assesment of lacking bass was probably more due to my being unfamiliar with the source material.

BD, your comments address Chris's point about how these Jubilees have changed his listening habits. When you have such a revealing rig like his, you lose patience and run waaay short on satisfaction when listening to the normal compressed cr*p produced today. Sure it may sound fine on your car's FM radio, but put it in a hopper like Chris's, and it winds up sounding like ground beef.

When going to an all-Heritage system, I found exactly the same thing. The compressed stuff I listen to in the car. The well-recorded, wide dynamic, clear-as-glass recordings I'll listen to in the house. Unfortunately, of the 2000+ CDs I have at home, maybe 100 sound good enough to throw on my main gear, and 20 sound great enough to seek out, even if I'm not totally in the mood for it.

Go figure. Double-edged sword? Yep. Good?? Definitely.

Chris