JL Audio Fathom f113 vs. SVS PB13-Ultra

Kain

I still wanna know why paul you said square ports are better than round ports. Especially since circles have less of a surface area comparatively to a square of the same contained area. What that basically means is a round port has less surface area internally and thus less friction in which to induce port noise.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul -

Nice response, looks like it took you all night to "right" such a large paragraph. I don't even want to imagine how long editing took you.

I wouldn't say anyone is jealous of your sub, I know that I personally am not. I also will admit that it is a very nice sub, just not for the money. Seems to be very over priced, but in the end the sound is not bad. If I was going to put a lot of time and effort into a new sub I would definitely go with an IB sub. I think the reason people started bugging you about it was because of the reasons you gave as to why it is superior. Unfortunately, you don't seem to know what makes the sub high end and the result is that you sound very ignorant while trying to defend it. The square ports remark is classic, I would love to know your logic behind that one.

So by all means, try to live it up with you JL sub. In the end I truly hope that you are happy with your system and wish you years of great joy listening to it.

Take care.

I think that most people would feel that the square port is probably worse for distortion than a square port just from looking at the shape of it. A port with a square cross-section is much more susceptible to turbulence than a round port.

In grad school I did extensive modelling of plasmas passing through differently shaped objects (and around objects). The purpose of this was to model the effect of inserting a probe into the plasma to measure various plasma parameters. Plasma flowing through a tube with a round cross-section produced far less turbulence than a tube with either a square or a rectangular cross-section with rectangles with high aspect ratios being the worst. Due to the similarity between the plasma being modeled and a fluid like air it is to be expected that the same would hold true for air moving through a port of either of the previously described cross-sections.

I think that most people would feel that the square port is probably worse for distortion than a square port just from looking at the shape of it. A port with a square cross-section is much more susceptible to turbulence than a round port.

In grad school I did extensive modelling of plasmas passing through differently shaped objects (and around objects). The purpose of this was to model the effect of inserting a probe into the plasma to measure various plasma parameters. Plasma flowing through a tube with a round cross-section produced far less turbulence than a tube with either a square or a rectangular cross-section with rectangles with high aspect ratios being the worst. Due to the similarity between the plasma being modeled and a fluid like air it is to be expected that the same would hold true for air moving through a port of either of the previously described cross-sections.

I'll see if I can't find that website again, but some dude online posted some really interesting results concerning port air velocities. And just like your plasma experiments, round ports work much better. Flaring seems to help a bit too.

I also came across another website or paper or something (it's been too long for me to remember now) that talked about how a single port works better than multiple ports. Ultimately, I think in both cases it comes down to maximizing the surface area to circumference ratio (or however you wanna describe it).

I've always found it interesting that SVS continues to use multiple ports...

Also, passive radiators don't suffer from any of the port noise or power compression issues...

SVS/HSU and any(all) variable tuning subs perform best in the native tune,all ports open. As soon as you start blocking ports to lower the tune you compromise high SPL SQ. As port noise will be added ,no way around an underported low tune at hugh SPL.

This is why you better have a lower native tune using apropriate porting.

The use of multiple ports is exactly for various tuning configurations.

I'm no scientist but common sense says that port noise should increase/decrease with the ratio of circumference to area of the port mouth. Two 3 in ports carry a total circumference of 18.84 in while the area they provide is only 14 sq in. A single 6 in port carries the same total circumference but allows an area of 28.26 sq in. My powers of reverse engineering at this time of day aren't allowing me to figure how large a single port would have to be to allow the same area as the 2 3 in ports :)

• 3 weeks later...

It is the same story everywhere you go...

a $5,000 Camaro with $5,000 worth of engine and suspension mods might go as fast 0-60 as a $230,000 Ferrari

or a $10 case of beer will get you just as drunk as a $2,000 bottle of whiskey

Some people are fine with the beer and Camaro even if they could afford the better options, others find it worth the cost to buy the whiskey and Ferrari event if they can't afford it. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Doug

I don't think that Beer and Camaros and Whiskey and Ferrari's are good combinations.

I would advise people who have these questions in the future to ask them in forums that deal with numerous brands. As the bias and lack on info results in garbage that followed in this thread.

The thread starter asks about Ultra13 VS f113 and the thread ventures to commercial VS DIY...nothing to help the question Ultra13 VS f113.