Yet another set of wall boards for Khorn

Klewless

I have a very bad room for my Khorns and have always wanted to put backs on them. Have seen the work done by many people but do not have the resources to do what most people have. I could have gotten someone to do it for me, but wanted to try something myself.

I cut what I shall call "wall boards" 17 in X 38 1/2 in. That is wide enough to overlap the front grill about 1/4 in and pass the tailboard by about an inch. Not critical.

The height put the wall boards just even with the bottom of top hat.

I used 3 four inch eye bolts and 2 five inch eye bolts to attach them to the bass horn. The tail board has three horizontal pieces which attach it to the horn onto which I bolted the three short eye bolts. Did the same thing with the long eye bolts to the boards which attach the grill frame to the bass horn. The new wall boards bolts are in tension pulling them toward their mount points. The bass bin was not compromised in any manner.

I positioned all eye bolts to extend perpendicular to the wall board and poke through them long enough to put nuts on the eye bolts from the outside.

I did each hole/eye bolt combination separately, ie. custom fit. It worked better when I attached the 2 front grill frame eye bolts first. Lots of removing and replacing the wall boards but I did not trust myself to try doing measurements and drilling all holes at one setting. ( It turns out that would work after all. )

I really like the results. Now I can rotate my Khorns to face me, rather than 10 feet in front of me!

At my levels of listening, which can be pretty loud but not unreasonably so, without any vibrations of the new wall boards. They effectively touch the Horns where the actual walls do.

PS. Klipsch could easily make a kit to do the same thing. It would be better with a heavy metal bar to anchor to the tail board from the inside and turn forward to follow the wall board to which bolts or machine screws could be put into them.

Thanks for listening.

JP

• 1 month later...

Obviously I do not know how to properly format my images to fit. If anyone is willing to do it for me, I will be happy to email them. There are 6 images total. I have what the developer gave me on CD from my 35 mm camera.

Otherwise, sorry I cannot show my pictures.

Picture quality is not the best because I used film that was too slow for my light. But they are good enough to see what I accomplished. I am still very happy with the sonic results.

"Preview" on my mac mini has no problem displaying the images and it allowed me to create them in reduced resolution in jpeg format.

jp

I noticed on my Khorns when I angled them towards me to get the right sweet spot that I actually lost some tonal quality or definition in the upper bass. In my room, it seems that having the Khorns against the wall had an overall better sound that angled away a bit. I don't know why this is and I'm not done experimenting, but I was suprised on how much the sound changed with just a few degrees of movement. I have a rather small listening room, so maybe that is a big factor. I still think enclosing the bass bins is the way to go!--kevin

post-28686-1381937394429_thumb.jpg

IMHO, I think that although enclosing the backs solves the "fit's in a corner problem", in order to obtain the bass, the bass bin requires at least 28-24" extension on the "false wall", or an extension to achieve the proper bass. Probably why so many of the enclosed back versions have "wings". Even with an enclosed back, placement into either a corner (at least more or less) or having "wings" is probably the best solution to retain the bass level.

I agree that nothing beats having the correct room. However I am not one of those people. My room has long enough corner walls but the problem is room width. The Khorns are simply too close together. So the outside edge of each Khorn still touches the wall in the standard fashion; only the inside edges are about 4 to 6 inches away from the front wall. I had plans for adding a continous hinge to the "errant" sides with a board which can swing like a door to transition to the actual front wall. Have not tried that yet but probably will one of these days.

My improvement is not in the bass but in the "imaging" and "upper bass". I use a powered sub woofer for the really deep bass, which has not suffered in my case.

• 3 weeks later...

That's fine Klew- you follow the general rule of the 60th of having both 'tips' of the grille within a few inches of the walls. As GLA mentions, some reinforcement from nearby walls is still necessary. The backs give you the abiltity to better aim the Khorn for best soundstage.

The issue with distance from the corner is not low bass drop off, but a 'suck-out' around 250 Hz. Just pull your Khorns out from the corner about 18" and you'll see what lack of boundary does. Not pretty.

• 2 years later...

If the purpose of adding wallboards is to improve the sweetspot location which comes into question when attempting to adjust/set a KHorn in a corner, why is it necessary to extend the backboard as far as (most) everyone has done?

Seems the issue is getting LF energy past/around the backboard and from firing that LF into the wall is the issue. If so, would not adding 12" or so of back/wallboard, (say) out to the top hat forward return edge accomplish basically the desired result of pointing the LF energy forward?

Or am I out of bounds thinking once LF sound waves get a change of direction, they are not going to modify their (basic) re-directed path without intercept.

Where was it I visited a church and was witness to the whispering wall?

Gary