Diana Krall's very first CD

RFP

Well, this has probably been discussed a g'zillion times before, but here I go anyway...

I realized that my Diana Krall "collection" did not include her very first CD... "Stepping Out." When I set out to remedy the omission, I found that none of my local retailers had a copy, so I turned to the auction place... found an "as new" copy for a buck ninety-nine. Score!

Even at the "first listening" I realized that this "sound" was exactly the reason for my decades-long audio quest(s)... Through all those heat-the-house tubes, Klipschorn bass bins with TAD equipped Trachorns and JBL 2404s, this CD is truly magical. This CD has one of the best recorded pianos I have heard (and with a Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand in the same room, we know exactly what a piano sounds like!!).

So, if you don't already have this CD (although I realize that I may be the last person on earth to finally get a copy), fine one and buy it. See if about two and a half minutes into track 2 "Straighten Up And Fly Right" the piano isn't fantastic!

Have a happy weekend all...

Rob

Well, this has probably been discussed a g'zillion times before, but here I go anyway...

I realized that my Diana Krall "collection" did not include her very first CD... "Stepping Out." When I set out to remedy the omission, I found that none of my local retailers had a copy, so I turned to the auction place... found an "as new" copy for a buck ninety-nine. Score!

Even at the "first listening" I realized that this "sound" was exactly the reason for my decades-long audio quest(s)... Through all those heat-the-house tubes, Klipschorn bass bins with TAD equipped Trachorns and JBL 2404s, this CD is truly magical. This CD has one of the best recorded pianos I have heard (and with a Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand in the same room, we know exactly what a piano sounds like!!).

So, if you don't already have this CD (although I realize that I may be the last person on earth to finally get a copy), fine one and buy it. See if about two and a half minutes into track 2 "Straighten Up And Fly Right" the piano isn't fantastic!

Have a happy weekend all...

Rob

You ought to hear this on Jubs...it's really good.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/20164.aspx?PageIndex=3

Chris

Feel free to discuss Diana Krall anytime. I have owned From This Moment On for over a year and I love her voice. At first it did not get very much play time but the more I heard it the more I really really enjoyed it. I recently purchased her new Best Of and can't stop listening to it. It also has the DVD which is a nice bonus as she is very easy on the eyes. She is a wonderful piano player and she sounds sooo good on the Belles with tubes aglow. After seeing her on the DVD I was thinking that she was alot younger than what she is (43) still younger than me. Also I was surprised to learn that she was married to Elvis Costello. I just started searching for Stepping Out, I hope I can be as successful as you. Enjoy!

You ought to hear this on Jubs...it's really good.

Chris

Obviously, I am a person of weak character and questionable morals, because I really try hard not to start these "My Corvette is faster than your Porsche" arguments, and I don't seem to be able to resist once someone else does! So, knowing full well my multitude of faults, I'll go ahead and allow myself to be suckered into this...The "meat" of the music - especially this particular music - occurs above 400Hz. Now, although my Frankenspeakers are not Jubilees, they do boast Tractrix mid horns and those stunningly superb TAD 2001 drivers. The TADs, with their nearly-as-light-as-air beryllium diaphragms – are capable of delivering most incredible detail as well as unbelievable split-your-skull power. They easily present the [ever so slight] sound that Diana’s piano’s sustain pedal makes when her cute little foot presses down on it! They also deliver those full bore riffs and runs with authority and grace. The uber-highs (what there are of ‘em) are handled by the JBL 2404s… which are known for all the right stuff. The bass, well, it’s tight and true… owing no doubt to the fact that the Klipschorn bas bins are snuggled well into corners that were purpose built just for them… using ½” drywall over ¾” plywood. In a word, a solid backing for the final expansion of the bass horn.“It’s really good on Jubes?” I gotcha covered, big boy.

Sometime, I’ll tell you the story about the Kia Rio that pulled up beside the ‘Vette… revving and rocking and itchin’ for a race!

Feel free to discuss Diana Krall anytime. I have owned From This Moment On for over a year and I love her voice. At first it did not get very much play time but the more I heard it the more I really really enjoyed it. I recently purchased her new Best Of and can't stop listening to it. It also has the DVD which is a nice bonus as she is very easy on the eyes. She is a wonderful piano player and she sounds sooo good on the Belles with tubes aglow. After seeing her on the DVD I was thinking that she was alot younger than what she is (43) still younger than me. Also I was surprised to learn that she was married to Elvis Costello. I just started searching for Stepping Out, I hope I can be as successful as you. Enjoy!

If you are into that kind of foolishness, her "Best Of" album is available on vinyl. I love it!

Obviously, I am a person of weak character and questionable morals, because I really try hard not to start these "My Corvette is faster than your Porsche" arguments, and I don't seem to be able to resist once someone else does! So, knowing full well my multitude of faults, I'll go ahead and allow myself to be suckered into this...The "meat" of the music - especially this particular music - occurs above 400Hz. Now, although my Frankenspeakers are not Jubilees...“It’s really good on Jubes?” I gotcha covered, big boy.

Sometime, I’ll tell you the story about the Kia Rio that pulled up beside the ‘Vette… revving and rocking and itchin’ for a race!

Thanks, I'm not into street racing but I do open my home to folks that want to hear a pair of Jubs since they're pretty scarce in stores.

Shoot me a PM - let's set a date for a "shoot out" at my place. Maybe the "Kia's" have a chance in this story.

"Kia" Chris

Thanks, I'm not into street racing but I do open my home to folks that want to hear a pair of Jubs since they're pretty scarce in stores.

Shoot me a PM - let's set a date for a "shoot out" at my place. Maybe the "Kia's" have a chance in this story.

"Kia" Chris

Oh no, Chris, my refereces to the Kia Rio were not round-about snipes at you or your great stuff... rather a reference to my own reaction to those "challenges" (I told you I was of weak character!).

Streetracing? Oh no, not me!

Cheerz,

Rob

Thanks Cask05! I bought the one below 27 cents more because they are closer to my home. I hate waiting 3 extra days from the east coast.

I understand.

I buy a lot of CDs from Amazon Marketplace on a monthly basis...it's addictive...

Chris

...this being Texas, and I believe that I offered a deal...

What's yer answer there, cowboy?

"Kia" Chris

You betcha, Chris... I'd love to come over and hear your goodies! I'll shoot you a PM when things calm down a bit around here. This is one of (wife) Linda's "busy seasons" and with my parents (age 90 and 93) becoming more 'high maintenance' all the time, I'm pretty jammed up most of the time these days.

Anyway, maybe by the end of April we could get together... I'd like that! Have you met any of the other North Texas audio people? There are some really nice folks around here (of course, I'm not one of 'em!).

Got any photos of your "big rig?"

Have a super weekend

Rob

PS: I just sat there, completely awestruck, as the Kia "roared" off... I'm still trying to figure out that guy!!

Thanks so much for this...I read this thread on Saturday...went to amazon.com (thanks Cask05) and picked up a copy shipped for just over $6.00...best of all???...it was delivered to me today...I just ordered it Saturday afternoon...somewhere in Wisconsin to me outside Chicago in under 2 days (if you include Sunday)...AND it is everything you said...just like the other recordings...top notch...listening to it first on my BO$E in the truck on the way home (it was delivered to me at work...USPS) and now on a McIntosh MA6200 through BEC Heresys...nice!...THANKS!

Bill

A couple of years ago, I upgraded to a multichannel DVD-A and SACD player. Decided to buy my first multichannel disc, the selection was pretty limited but I went home with Krall's Girl in the Other Room.

Funny thing about musical taste. I must not have any. I couldn't force myself to finish the disc--and that's rare. Tried again later, same result. Life is too short to listen to that disc. Booooorrrrrinnnnnnggggg.

Any of you big fans wanna buy the disc from me?

I have that same CD...it was my first Diana Krall and I have to agree...I didn't really care for it...at first... but now I like it as much as the others...give it another shot or buy her first...or Live in Paris...I believe you will be a fan...unless you really hated Girl in the Other Room...(I didn't hate it...just thought...ehhhh...but now I enjoy it...by the way, I have heard from a lot of Krall fans that felt this way of that CD)

Bill

I have that same CD...it was my first Diana Krall and I have to agree...I didn't really care for it...at first... but now I like it as much as the others...give it another shot or buy her first...or Live in Paris...I believe you will be a fan...unless you really hated Girl in the Other Room...(I didn't hate it...just thought...ehhhh...but now I enjoy it...by the way, I have heard from a lot of Krall fans that felt this way of that CD)

Bill

That was pretty much my experience, too, Bill. I'll have to admit to really liking "Live in Paris," but I think that my absolutle very favorite "Diana Krall" is her 'combo' work... before the days of the full orchestra. I like the guitar work of Russell Malone or Anthony Wilson with Ms. Krall, but I dont "just gotta have it!"

On the other hand, "All For You" (If I'm remembering correctly) has no drum... even so, the pace is perfect and the Piano, Guitar, and Bass keep things moving along quite nicely, thank you.

--------------------

Now for something completely different... Have any of you tried the soundtrack CD from "Good Night and Good Luck" (Concord Jazz CCD-2307-2)? Dianne Reeves does some great work on some classics. There are "some differences" in the overall sound from piece to piece... perhaps recorded different days, maybe even different studios (but I doubt it). If you've tried this one, what do you think?

I like it! But, I'm an old geezer and really fomd of songs from that era!

Cheers to all,

Rob