Would this work....?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the heck is minnesota anyway? Here in silicon valley we got 366 days of sun! [H]

Back a few winters ago I was near the twin city and the warmest day is about -10. A few times we got 50 below. How's that for hell?

Get the plates, do some measuring. You should be able to fit them in a van if you remove all but the front seats. Indy and I got 6 LS bass bins in a standard sized van one time. Just disassemble carefully and pack em in right with lots of nice blankies. I'd think the bouncing trailer would be worse for them them getting them snuggly in the van with you.

Get the plates, do some measuring. You should be able to fit them in a van if you remove all but the front seats. Indy and I got 6 LS bass bins in a standard sized van one time. Just disassemble carefully and pack em in right with lots of nice blankies. I'd think the bouncing trailer would be worse for them them getting them snuggly in the van with you.

As always, Michael knows his stuff. The nice thing about having the speakers in the van is you can keep an eye on things and be aware if anything shifts. You can't see what's happening in a trailer, so it could require a lot more stopping and checking and could be a bit nerve-wracking. If you get a decent-sized van next week and remove the seats you should be able to lay the khorns on the floor face down (or tipped on one back surface) with the tophats and side grilles removed. You would then have to fit the tops in wherever in makes sense.

In addition to blankets I use dense foam pads (like an exercise mat only denser) and lots of cardboard. I put foam down on the floor, then cover it with cardboard, then blankets--so there is nothing abrasive against the finished wood. You want to make sure that everything is filled in so it can't shift or slide. The problem with going a short distance is you've got to pack it just like you're going across country. You can't have too much packing material. Go very slowly on packing and you'll do great.

We'll be looking forward to the continuing saga...

Well, two days closer, but still not close enough.

Lest you all think I'm insane or a complete imbecile, nothing was ever said about not having insurance. The van owner still has it insured, my policy covers me in whatever vehicle I'm driving, and I'd written a repair ticket on it so I was also covered by the shops insurance. I wouldn't risk the potential repercussions of no insurance for a free pair of Palladiums. (Would I?) (No Peg-Leg jokes, please.) The van previously had handicapped plates on it, which stay with the owner, and he has it sold to an inlaw so had pulled the plates off it so he could go pick up his new van over the weekend. It was technicaly licensed, and he had written me a bill of sale, which would allow me to transport the vehicle without plates legally since you have 30 days after the sale to get new plates. It wouldn't have prevented me from getting pulled over and having a chat with Mr Occifer, but should have prevented any tickets.

Minnesota, you know, that place that butts up against Siberia? Three seasons: Almost winter, Winter and Road Construction. Of course Saturday by 2:00 the roads were dry again, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. They're talking 30's and potential snow all week again, hopefully it's decent this Saturday. Minnesota has a lot going for it, if you can get past the winters.

The van idea makes sense, but the one I had Saturday is no longer available and I'm not sure offhand who has a full size one I could borrow. My plan with the trailer was to have the speaker intact, one piece, on top of folded blankets to cushion the bottom, then strapped tightly to the wall of the trailer with more blankets between the speaker and the outside wall of the trailer. Cardboard around everything just in case, but not sure in case of what. The speakers would be over a foot away from each other, unable to move anywhere, cushioned on all sides. It's a lot easier for me to find a tow rig for the trailer than it is to find a van, and would make the move a lot easier if it didn't involve disassembling the speakers in any way.

Any opinions on my trailer idea when I still have a few planning days left before road trip #2?

Any opinions on my trailer idea when I still have a few planning days left before road trip #2?

Yeah, go for it, it'll work! That is why you have your straps! Van not available go for it with adequate vehicle to bring it back to the hacienda. Probably 90% of cabinet damage comes from moving large pieces but, you've got it to do.

You have and will continue to do your DD! Good Fortune!

I'm sure the trailer will be fine.

You DO want to take the khorns apart to move them, even if you put them back together again inside the trailer. Here are a few of reasons:

1. They will weigh less and will be easier to manage and less likely to get biffed (although they will still be plenty big and awkward).

2. Each top and side grill are each held on by two wing nuts a piece. That's it. They're made to come apart quickly and easily for moving.

3. You will need to unscrew the two spade lugs at the woofer door terminal and put roll the woofer wire up in the tophat before you take the tophat off.

4. The tophat removal may not be essential, but you really want to remove the side grills. They can get stressed and possibly broken if you don't.

Here are some additional notes on packing materials:

1. I would not put anything too squishy under the speakers. Just use a layer or two of corrugated cardboard. The reason is you want the speakers to be as stable as possible, not bouncing or tipping on the floor.

2. However you layer the padding on the sides of the trailer, make sure there is something soft against the finish and there is corrugated cardboard under any ropes or straps to spread out the stresses.

Safe travels!

100 miles? 10" snow? Piece o' cake!

Lemme tell you about the time I drove 1200 miles (each way) to North Dakota in December to pick up a pair of Klipschorns, starting the day after the biggest blizzard in decades. Made it 45 miles in 2 hours the first day. My neighborhood streets were still solid ice when I got back 4 days later. Or better yet, not.

Hope the trip was a good one. I can tell you it's worth the effort. I'm sure you will agree soon.

Tell all!

These sound really nice, Clark. [H]

More to come, kinda busy playing music. Safe trip, no damage during move, speaks were as represented by seller, everyone's happy. Last time I heard a pair of these was 1983, maybe 84. I've got 25 years of catching up to do. I'll be back with pics at some point.

Oh yeah. First disc I played, DSOTM.

Predictable? Sure. Can only have one first song, that was mine.

post-13504-13819366975798_thumb.jpg