What Companies offer preamp/proccesors that support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

darthdave

Don't be to confused; its quite simple.

If your HD device doesn't require HDMI for HD audio and video output, as well, if your reveiver/pre/pro allows analog MPCM connections (DVDA, SACD) then you are set for the current HD codecs.

Per HD-DVD and Blu-Ray specs, the audio files are unpackaged/decoded at the player level, and then sent to the receiver/pre/pro for playback. Those packages if you will are TrueHD, DTSMA etc, which unpacked are nothing more than super high resolution PCM files.

I beleive there was talk that future interations of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray specs would allow for the audio files to be sent for decoding to the receiver/pre/pro instead of at the player level.

Hope that helps, and anyone else with more current information, please correct me.

So basically if the player has onboard decoding Im all set running it through discreet analog connections? I will be running 7.1 hopefully as alot of the new HD movies are coming now. I thought I read somewhere that there was a difference between hirez PCM and raw DTS-HD or DolbyTrue...... Most really new AV receivers tout onboard decoding as a superior option. Maybe someone was trying to sell me something. By the way I really appreciate all of the help from people who arent trying to sell me a product as I am really new to alot of this terminology and technology.

• 2 years later...

To the best of my knowledge, if your player will do the decoding and you have a HDMI input of any level on your pre-pro, you can hear any of the new sound formats. The sound should be identical wether the data is decoded in the player OR pre-pro.

Look at pre-pros from NAD, Integra and Anthem, depending on your budget.

How are you liking your D2 ? Do you know if ARC is available for the D1? Also, TV broadcast HD , are they including HD sound? I notice some HD channels are not even DD.

If True HD is not being transmitted yet, its really no big benefit to me, neither is HDMI.

How are you liking your D2 ? Do you know if ARC is available for the D1? Also, TV broadcast HD , are they including HD sound? I notice some HD channels are not even DD.

If True HD is not being transmitted yet, its really no big benefit to me, neither is HDMI.

I absolutely love my D2. It has performed flawlessly and has all the versatility and adjustments you'd ever need. On top of that, the sound is incredible. It was a large step up from the HK I had previously. I don't know if ARC is available on the D1 or not. It all depends on if it has the second board in it. You could most likely find out over at the AVSforum with a quick search. I'm also not sure if the new sound formats are broadcast or not. I do know that multi-channel audio IS broadcast in some form or another.

Sweeeet!! My Anthem should be here tomorrow. Your not helping my patience Smile

(Threadjack in progress)

What amp(s) are you going to pair it with?

I like the sound of B&K AVR with my 7s ...so I went with a B&K Reference amp. I did give a Cary 11 preamp a try, besides something being wrong with it, (audio drop out) the EQ sucked. I am not impressed with Cary Audio experience.

If im not happy with the Anthem, your to blame lol