DIGI-KEY: note to self, never use again...

Trey Cannon

• Klipsch Employees
Digi-key has the some of the nastiest CSR's and hidden cost that I have ran across. $4 for parts, $5 for orders less than $25, $15 shipping on less that 1oz package. RMA shipping back ($4) and the total credit back $4. SO I am out $24 for doing business with them and have no parts to show for it. Makes you want to beat someone about the head and shoulders. Call to arms: NEVER use DIGI-KEY.

I miss the local Radar electric consumer counter. That was the only decent brick and mortar joint for electronic parts in this area. I could go in there and order large amounts of carbon film resistors up to 2 watts for dirt cheap. They had Nichicon electrolytic capacitors in limited voltages, but lots of values. There was shelves with trim pots, caps, resistors, heatshrink, etc, that they were always blowing out. It was nice. I go get parts on a friday for a weekend project.

Then they shut it down....dunno why.....people bought stuff.....business call ordering and consumer online ordering only.

That leaves one Radio Shack in town that actually has parts bins. And a very lame selection at that. Limited values, voltages....they didn't even have the little 3 dollar ALP's dual ganged stereo pots. Ain't even worth going there.

So I'm down to ordering electronic parts online. It's a rip-off...mostly....

I paid 7 bucks shipping from partsConnexion for a box that weighed about a gram. Considering the distance from Canada, I 'spose that ain't that bad. I think the standard US rate is $4.50. It was the 4 dollar international postal MO, the 70 cent stamp, and the good 2 week wait that sucks. (Gotta get PayPal staightened out....the fee was only 93 cents for payment.)

I would guess the larger metropolitan areas may still have brick and motar stores for electronic parts, but ain't around here anymore.

We have a couple of brick and mortar places still in Chattanooga, but they aren[t open on Saturdays, so you would have to get there during the week, which is hard for me. We had a third one that was really good, until the owner retired. The new owners started fixing it up and even carrying more stuff... then one day it was gone.