dry rot?

rynoinaz

I've never had a problem with Klipsch drivers. In fact (except for my original store bought Klipschorns in 1979), that very problem is the reason I sold all my JBL's some years ago and now pretty much own nothing but Klipsch. Heat and especially humidity in Florida just killed the foam woofer surrounds. There is also a weird bacteria down here (it's true!!!) which lives in humid environments eats the oxide binder on reel tapes. That same bacteria also loves JBL foam surrounds. I was not aware of that until all of my reel tapes (Ampex GM and Maxell) started disintegrating in about 1994 for no reason at all. I was at a musicians store to order some more tape in Palm Beach and they told me about the problems they were having with reel tape oxide disintegration. They had finally figured it out and also noted that the same thing was affecting alot of JBL studio monitors/ control room monitor woofer surround foams. That same bacteria tries to eat the plastic handles on all of my old 1980 vintage Craftsman screwdrivers. Once a year I have to clean off the bateria poop which looks like a greasy white coating. It does not seem to affect plastic made lately.

i have various klipsch models (forte II, quartet, kg 4.2, kg 4, kg 2, kg 2.2v). i noticed what looks like cracks starting to form on the rubber surrounds of the 4.2s. i live in arizona. what i see on the 4.2 surrounds, a hot and very dry climate (10-20% humidity most of the time) and the fear of losing the service of any of my other klipsch prompted my question.

as goofy as it may sound i was thinking of something like armorall for protecting, preserving rubber surrounds......hey, works for tires! before i attempted it i was wondering if there were others with any experience doing something like that.

thanks for your posts...any input is greatly appreciated.

Groom (doing my Duke imitation)

You live

ina swamp?Wink

Oooohhh .....

get it Right, O.T.

itsa ... " Inna" ..swamp ..Big Smile

'Itsa' (or might as well be) a swamp... ground water is only 3-4 feet down... House is built "old time Forida" stype, as in up on beams with footer and 2' crawl space underneath. This house stays really dry, but it was the others we lived in before we bought this one that had mildew runnin' up the drywall on the north side of the house, stucco fallin' off, etc. They "wuz" built "northern yankee" style on a slab; which unless you have a massive thick pad and about a 20 mil thick vapor barrier.... you are going to have problems...