Is it time to upgrade receiver

Youthman

• Moderators

Ok, got the itch to upgrade my receiver but really want to hold out and be patient to get what I really want.

I have a chance to get a like new, very well taken care of
Onkyo TXSR703 7.1 with an iPod dock for $300.

Pros: Has DTS (my HK does not), Pre-outs, more power than my HK, HDMI (didn't check if it was switching or not and is probably 1.2), Ultra Select 2

Cons: Doesn't support new HD formats, no HDMI 1.3

Probably would make a great 7.1 receiver to get my theater started, could always upgrade to a newer receiver in a year or two when prices would come down even further. Talk me in or out of this deal. [:D]

• Moderators

Any thoughts or comments? I am also purchasing a bunch of nice furniture from this guy at a great price and will be buying it all tomorrow so I will need to make a decision by tomorrow evening. Just trying to decide if I want the Onkyo or not so if you have any advice, I'm all ears.

• Moderators

I don't know anything about it except in your link, for $300 it looks like a good deal to me. You could always sell one of them later or both if you want to try something different down the road, I would try it.

• Moderators

Seems like a good deal to me too. I have several movies that are in DTS that I have not been able to take advantage of. One of my DVD's will not even play in stereo or DD because it is DTS encoded. I can only watch it in prologic (Yuck). I would sell my HK for probably $100 so that would reduce the cost of the Onkyo even further. Then if I wanted to upgrade to the new receivers or even go with separates I would have that option. I'm leaning towards purchasing it...just wanted to get a few objective thoughts about it.

Hope this link works:

http://shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Receiver

Since you are thinking about going used, get a Onkyo refurb, the 605 has the latest tech like Dolby True HD, DTS HD, LPCM...DD and DTS are lossy, TrueHD is lossless, its like going from an MP3 to as good or better then CD quality. 705 better still, 805 is the best bargin when they have them for $600 or under. 705 and 805 pass 1080/24p (505 & 605 might just never researched it) if you have a projector that suports this or a TV that does, you WANT this.

I bought a 304 refurb and haven't had a problem with it, and it is powering 8 bass shakers. Look to Amazon for 805 deals as well, that is where I got mine at. You will have Blu-ray sooner then you think, and the sound and video will never be better with a newer receiver that only costs $100-$300 more. Oh and the 705 and 805 have 8 point Audyssey...big thread on AVS receivers forum about Audyssey if you get through most of it and don't believe that it is a must have feature remind me to bonk ya on the head.....

• Moderators

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. You have me thinking again. Right now, I only have a 2.1 setup. I have a center but am in the process of selling it and my CF-2's so I can use that towards the purchase of the RC-64. At that time, I will have a 3.1 setup. Probably will not go to 5.1 until our house is built and we move in, possibly even after that depending on available funds. I know I am looking at just short term here. By then, we will have absolutely debt free except for our house payment and should be able to purchase one of the top end receivers or go separate. This is a temporary receiver and in my mind, spending the extra $100.00 plus shipping might not be worth it because I will have it less than a year and right now, we don't watch too many movies and I have a 32" CRT TV so HDMI, Blue Ray isn't an option until we move into the house and have my dedicated theater room. Does that change your view or would you still personally go with the Refurb 605?

• Moderators

I should have never posted this topic. [:P] Yes, difficult decision. What to do. Only have a few hours until I go pick up the furniture and need to decide on whether or not to get the 703.

One thing that the 605 does not have that I would like to have is Pre-Outs for external amps. So even if I bought the 605, it would be a temporary setup until we have the theater room. The 703 has pre-outs, and HDMI, just not 1.3. I think I'm still leaning towards the 703. I have a guy that wants to buy my HK for $100 so I don't see how I can go wrong with $200 invested into the 703. Is my logic correct or am I missing something?

• Moderators

I don't know why you can't see them? Um...maybe it's because they aren't there. My bad. Maybe I was thinking about 7.1 instead of HDMI. Either way, I won't be buying a Blue Ray until we move (1 year down the road) and have no use for HDMI at this point. So I'm not thinking that it is a deterent by not having HDMI. Even the 7.1 isn't needed for now since I only have a 3.1 application.

• Moderators

Logical because you will have option to upgrade again later & kick the tires so to speak on this model Onkyo! In 6 months you may be back to a HK.

I really like the sound of the HK but wish it had a little more power (like 200 watts/ch). That would be sweet. She runs out of gas at high volumes on my RF-83's. But the sound that comes from it up to that point is crystal clear. I might get the Onkyo and realize I am better off with the HK and resell it. Who knows. My last receiver was an Onkyo TX-DS555 and really enjoyed it.

Logical because you will have option to upgrade again later & kick the tires so to speak on this model Onkyo! In 6 months you may be back to a HK.

I really like the sound of the HK but wish it had a little more power (like 200 watts/ch). That would be sweet. She runs out of gas at high volumes on my RF-83's. But the sound that comes from it up to that point is crystal clear. I might get the Onkyo and realize I am better off with the HK and resell it. Who knows. My last receiver was an Onkyo TX-DS555 and really enjoyed it.

Figured you must have heard Onkyo before. Yes, nothing like some headroom. Can't see where it could not be a decent move.

• Moderators

I picked up the 703 tonight. Unit is in pristine condition! Hooked everything up and manually set everything up. I did not get a chance to turn it up because everyone is in bed so I will give it a run through in the morning as I'm getting the kids ready for school.

Didn't get the mic so I emailed the guy to see if he had it somewhere. I'm pretty pumped about it. Has lots more features than my HK does. I had no crossover settings on the HK. On screen display is cool too...HK didn't have that either. LFE I didn't have on the HK. I'm like a kid at Christmas. New toys....Yippee! LOL. I totally think I made the right decision. As long as it does not sound like crap (which I don't think it will), I think I will be extremely pleased. Even looks cool with the blue led around the volume knob and the panel door that hides most of the controls on the front of the receiver.

• Moderators

Good! Am ready to hear you say that the Onkyo is not to bright, and detailed enough for your system/music, with abunch of headroom. Might take a couple or 3 days to scope out the hiddens.

Well, I have perused through the menu, much more options than my HK. At first, I totally did not like the sound. It does sound different than my HK. Before I came to this forum, I did not realize each receiver manufacturer has a unique sound. I am not an audiophile so I cannot tell you if it is warmer, brighter etc...just different. I definitely do not like the Auto EQ settings. Terrible. To me it sounds better with it turned off.

Headroom....oh yeah...I'm totally loving that. My HK gave out at loud volumes but the Onkyo I cranked louder and the RF-83's continued to sing sweetly without breaking up. I'm loving that. So far, I am very pleased. I will still have to spend some time with the settings tweeking it. I somewhat think that I am not hearing quite as much detail in say a live concert dvd. With the HK, every instrument seemed to stand out, unique and separated from the others. The Onkyo does too, but just not quite as crisp and bright. Maybe the Onkyo is slightly more laid back in sound. Not quite sure. A lot of it could be changed by playing with the EQ, Treble and Bass settings. On the HK, I always left the Treble and Bass knob in the middle. Will share more later after reviewing.

I had a 702 in an xtra room,nothing bad,it sounded ok and had good features.This is not a unit that's gonna do your speakers justice ,it can fill the spot till you upgrade.I had 83's,they were more forgiving than the7's,but even they will show any weakness in the chain.

As long as not disappointed in all regards. Check the manual if have one, but yeah, play with it, tweak,experiment, let it be different. Tomorow may sound new, or somehow diff.

After all, this is a new temp. Some people like the Onkyo. Nice feature is the headroom option. Heard mine hooked to an Onkyo at the store awhile back. Did not dislike, as I recall. Probably good to experience the Onkyo. Never know what will be next!

Will be interested to know your HT listenings findings.

• Moderators

I agree it is a temporary setup. My plan is to eventually buy a Parasound 5250 amp. Not sure what pre/pro or receiver with pre-outs I will use with it.

I only have a 3.1 setup now so HT listenings is limited. My center channel is still hooked up to the HK since it does not have banana plugs yet. A guy called yesterday and today about the HK and was supposed to come by tonight to look at it but he never showed. Once it is sold, I will add the center to the Onkyo. I briefly checked out a scene in Transformers with just the RF-83's and it sounded good. I'll let you know how the 3.1 sounds on it soon.