Best Stock Crossover for K-Horns

Hi,

I purchased a pair of 1975 K-Horns in Oiled Walnut earlier this year. They have the AA Crossovers. I have replaced the Capacitors with high grade caps wth original values. My question is there a "Better Sounding" Stock Crossover Configuration that would require minimal wiring or Cap change out. I did some searches but nothing matching up to what I am looking for. I have changed out the factory wiring and installed Crites Woofers and tweeters. They sound great but just like to learn and listen. So please give me your opinion on this highly subjective subject!

Thanks!

Chuck

Chuck

It looks like yopu have everything that you need. Many say that the A's and the AA's are the best sounding factory crossovers. You can convert the AA to an A very easily. I can't find the schematic right now, but it is easy and if I remember correctly, just involves removing the tweeter protection.

When I have built A's, I added a fuse to the tweeter circuit. Go to ALK's site and use the same value that he specifies for his ALK universals. I have blown fuses before and have blown tweeters that were not fused. Trust me, add fuses. I just did a repair on a friend's tweeters that blew a tweeter from feedback. You never know when it is going to happen.

There is also a notch filter for the A's that is easy to add that takes care of a hump at 9khz (either from the driver or the horn, its been a while). I don't have the schematics handy, but a search should find it.

Thanks for the info!!! If anyone reading this thread has the schematic and the notch Filter info please forward it. There is always an new group of devotees that can benefit from the info. I appreciate all the response and help!

Chuck

A vs AA? it's going to be a "flavor" that will be determined by your ears. I use both, and in one instance use a BEC (Bob Crites) A/4500 crossover with his tweeters and a D250X midrange. That may be too bright to many, but it shines in the "center channel" with voices, etc in an HT set-up. I agree and also recommend that you "fuse" your K-horns; at a minimum, an in-line 2 amp fast blow fuse usually is sufficient.

A vs AA? it's going to be a "flavor" that will be determined by your ears. I use both, and in one instance use a BEC (Bob Crites) A/4500 crossover with his tweeters and a D250X midrange. That may be too bright to many, but it shines in the "center channel" with voices, etc in an HT set-up. I agree and also recommend that you "fuse" your K-horns; at a minimum, an in-line 2 amp fast blow fuse usually is sufficient.

There are a bunch of older threads where many would not uses fuses because they didn't want to add anyhting to the circuit. I always use them.

There are a bunch of older threads where many would not uses fuses because they didn't want to add anyhting to the circuit. I always use them.

The later K-horns use a 4 amp fast blow on the woofer door cup assembly. It saved my 87 K-horn pair's life when I had an amp short out (bad primary fuse and fuse holder assembly). After that "incident", I put an inline 2 amp on all of them. You can put a 3 or 4, but I don't use that much "volume" or power, and the 2's have never blown.