7w SET DIY

Erland

Since my little 300B SET stereo amp has nothing in the way of Erland's iron and seperate power supplies, I've obviously never heard the full potential of my 300Bs, that much is certain! You've done some beautiful work...I know they even sound better than they look, especially thru those DIY Klipschorns! Did you design the Klipschorn cabinets yourself? They're absolutely wonderful![Y]

If you have more pictures of your finished monoblocks/power supplies and those Klipschorns, please don't be modest and post them! Any closeup images would be much appreciated (but don't go out of your way if none exist...we want you to enjoy listening to your system instead of taking more pictures of it).

Just curious...do you eventually plan on purchasing a third audio rack like the ones you've already got to add your amps/power supplies? Is it a concern for you to maybe take the units out from the bottom shelf where space is tight so they can breath better in a more ventilated rack?

Regardless, you have a magnificent layout, Erland...one you should be very proud of!

Enjoy.[8]

Thank you very much for all your kind comments regarding the equipment that I have built.

I will try to answer the questions that has been posted and post some more pictures as requested.

- Cost of the amps:
Total cost of the amplifiers is aproximately $12.000 in parts - Yes the nuber of zero's are correct. Tvelve tousand!
I was hoping to get below 10, but there are always "bits and bobs" in the end that increases the total.

-The reason for the wooden cabinets:
The wooden cabinets are made of MDF that was glued together and spraypainted afterwards.

The main reason for using wood was Gary, the designers recommendations. As some of you may know, Borderpatrol's commercial amps have wooden cabinets. I have been told that a amp with a wooden cabinet sounds better and are easier to get disturbance free.

As I personnaly are not to fond of the wood-look in my hifi, I choose to paint them black.

-Pictures of the DIY-Khorns
The DIY-khorns was presented with several pages of pictures on this forum last year. I will post some of them again - no probs.

-Rack
I am not sure what to do really.
I did not plan for the ASR Basis Exlusive RIAA to arrive at this point. I just got a chanse to buy it for a good prize, and there it was.
The plan was to have both the bottom shelfes avaliable for the amps.
I am considering to buy two more shelfes from VTI to enable the whole bottom section for the amps.
Regarding temperature, it's no problem. The way these amps are designed, nothing except for the tubes get warm.

-Starground
This again is done by reccomendation from a friend that have built similar amps.
A soldering point are screwed into the cabinet, and all wiring including the "iron frames" are connected to this point.
I have a switch to "lift" the ground point from the "socket-earth". It's normally wired like that, but I have tried with the switch activated. I could not tell any difference.

-If you could make something like that yourself with litle or no experience?
With all the resoureses on this forum awaliable - Sure!

Take the time to understand what you are doing - read books and ask questions.
When you get to that stage of testing - make sure you disconnect the power before you touch anyting.

Yes you are right - If you build something like this - the word "clumsy" are not the first she will reach for:)
But remember, it will alo set a entire new standard of what she will require you to fix around the house....

-To compare this amps with any low cost amps, tubes or solid state, is just unfair.
The reviewer Jason Kennedy has written a test of the commercial "litle brother" of these amps:

'Passion, grace and fire.'
Jason Kennedy Hi-Fi Choice Jan 99 - EDITORS CHOICE

'Uncommonly capable single-ended design with less colouration and more grunt than any of the alternatives- resolution guaranteed.'
Jason Kennedy Hi-Fi Choice Jan 99 - EDITORS CHOICE

' ....., I went back to my transistors. ....there was a congested quality, as though the system had picked up sinusitis.'
Paul Messenger Hi-Fi Choice Jan 98

The full review here:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~valveamp/BorderPatrolAmp.htm

- If this is a KIT?
No I am sorry.
As mentioned, Gary Dews designed the schematic for me. He also had the transformers and chokes built to fit the specs required accrding to this diagram.
For the rest, I bought the parts I believed in from different suppliers around the globe.
The transformer covers are from www.vt4c.com in Hong Kong. A lot of the internal parts like resistors, caps ea comes from www.partsconnexion.com

• Like 1