Speaking of CD's; what about MP3's?

#1 Kinda Simple Way - load iTunes or whatever and point it at the library (load music if required) on your storage device. Plug a cable into headphone out and split to two RCA's and input into receiver.

#2 Less simple - same as above but if using:

PC - ASIO or bypass Kmixer output into DAC into pre/recvr/amp

MAC - USB output into a DAC into pre/rcvr/amp

The hard drive will probably still spin for iTunes or the Media player unless you put that onto flash or similar storage. It will probably still spin some as boot disk.

The flash may not give you "simple" ultra portability across media players if that's a goal.

Spinning storage is still most cost effective isn't it?

Bit hard to determine precisely what you are after, but after reading the responses...

MP3 is not a high fidelity format even at its highest settings. If you are satisfied with it don't worry much about what you play it on.

If you are simply looking for convenience, use a PC. Since I don't know how interested you are I am going to minimize the details. In my case, I built a fanless (read: silent as an amplifier) music server and use Card Deluxe as DAC. I use it as the reference standard for my location recordings. IMHO digital reproduction doesn't get any better than that. If you've seen any of the reviews here of my recordings it seems to work reasonably well. As someone has mentioned, FLAC is really the only lossless compression scheme that is widely supported. Given the cost of storage these days, I just use wav.

Beyond that summary, I strongly recommend a RAID 5 backup for your music files. Ripping a couple of hundred CD's is only mildly amusing the first time. It totally sux the second...

Let me know if you want details.

Dave

What I'm after is a way to use flash drive through stereo because the CD skips due to vibrations of kick drum when I play. It's been an ongoing issue for some time. I think the computer solution is probably the best (e.g. headphones out to RCA's in), but I wish they just had a cheap $59 to $159 solution rather than dedicating a whole computer for such a limited purpose.

If quality is not an issue, then just plug any ipod clone in to the preamp and use mp3. Otherwise, the computer solution is indeed best.
Car systems are starting to show up that have USB ports and can display the contents of music files on various USB compatible media. I expect to see this in preamps before long. Of course, if you have a high end preamp you like, this may not be a low cost or desirable solution either.

At the moment, the PC/high end sound card is the only way to access the highest resolutions (beyond CD...24/88.2 and above). It is not optional for the hard core, won't settle for less, serious bucks in the system audiophile.

I record my most precious LP's to high res digital and most ears would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Many are improved in that I either edit (for those with only a few) or process to remove clicks and pops and use DBX while recording to restore dynamic range.

I don't believe in right or wrong in this hobby...just what warms your ears.

Dave

"What I'm after is a way to use flash drive through stereo because the
CD skips due to vibrations of kick drum when I play. It's been an
ongoing issue for some time."

As an alternate look at getting a portable CD player. Some/many of them have memory buffers to reduce/eliminate skipping from vibrations.

Shawn

For me it is painfully obvious. MP3 at its most minimal compression level sounds lifeless at best. For a party with rock and roll, it can be tolerable. However, for acoustic instruments or anything with signficant finesse or harmonics, it just sucks the life out. Once the compression starts to go up. it starts getting grainy.

Even 16/44.1 wav files must be recorded with great care to be adequate for audiophile tastes. 24/88.2 is the first level at which I find it difficult or impossible to detect digital artifacting.

JMHO.

Dave

Not a lot of time at the moment, but the skinny:

All mp3 are compressed by disposing of information that is within the audible range. 'nuf said for an audiophile.

Cd's are recorded at 16/44.1. Nothing within the audible range is disposed of, but there is a "brick wall" at 22 khz and zero energy above that. Some debate it, but many of us have no doubt that, while above audibility in themselves, these harmonics influence the audbible content and their absence leaves something out of recordings of acoustic instruments rich in harmonics.

24/88.2 stores nearly 4 times as much information as 16/44.1 and extends frequency response out to 44 khz. Now we are getting in to audiophile territory.

There are two PCM levels above that, 24/176.4 and 24/196. Anybody not satisfied with that should be hunted down by Torchwood.

I record at 24/176.4 for location work, and my LP's at 24/88.2.

Dave