Alternative Speakers to Promedia???

ETFBlade

THe Video Logic DigiTheater DTS, but don't know where you could find them, and i think they are over priced, personally.

The LogiTech Z-560 is a great alternative to teh PM 4.1's, the only speaker system I would compare to the 4.1's. It cost $179 i beleive.

Wait till you can test these on your new computer though.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

5.1 systems, you cant beat the pros right now, for under $600, which is the videologic dts. I've heard good things about them, and I'm assuming Justin hasnt heard them, so he can't say that they are overpriced. The Megaworks will be an alternative product, same price, but I read that the 2.1 had trouble at high volumes from gamespot, but 3dss said they were fine. It is clear that they sound amazing though, the midrange is better than the xfire, which is indeed a hard thing to acomplish. Have to wait for them to be released.

when you assume, you make an .... Smile.gif

no, i have not heard them, but spending that much money for a 4.1 computer speaker system is ludacris to me. i would rather shell out a little more and get a real system, well not a little more but you know what i mean Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

If you wanna run up a bill, get a reciever and get some real speakers...Bose are amazing, but then again, I dont wanna dish out 1500 either...Also, some other 4.1 mentionables...The Altec Lansig 4.1 THX set is pretty nice. My friend got those through gateway...err dell

This message has been edited by Talon on 01-21-2002 at 02:27 AM

bose amazing? LoL!... don't say that in the home audio forum! LoL! dell not good to you? man, you are way off base with me! LoL!... love dell, hate bose Smile.gif ohwell Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

oh i see Smile.gif (about dell that is)

i used to like bose, like not love. that was till i got my v2.400's and heard how they blew away the system my friend had, like a $2000 bose lifestyle system. then, i REALLY got into the audio world and found more and more out about bose... and thought less and less highly of them.

quote:

Marketing can sometimes be the most misleading source of propaganda about a particular product, especially when it is aimed at the average neophyte consumer of home audio electronics. Many consumers buy audio products based solely on the advertisement, name recognition, and product reviews. At the very best case in this scenario, the consumer may actually decide to demo the product briefly in a noisy showroom focusing more on functionality and appearance rather than fidelity. For this reason, I have come up with a comical approach to counteract the misleading hype you may be continuously bombarded with regarding "Cubed Speaker Systems" by {marketing, salespeople, and/or audio consumer magazine reviews}.

Here's the Top 10 list:

1) If you like your bass Boomy with poor extension with unwanted vocals as a bonus from the so-called paper cone "Subwoofer" , then these are your speakers.

2) You gotta love those 2 ½" inch "Cubed" Satellites that are made from space age paper which are too small to accurately reproduce midrange, yet too large to produce accurate treble extension.

3) They suffer from high frequency roll of (-3dB) at 12Khz with emphasis at around 7Khz to give the illusion of treble in a noisy showroom to a passing consumer. The result is bright fatiguing treble.

4) If you like boomy, hollow bass, than these speakers deliver, with their cabinets constructed from the lowest grade particleboard with no internal bracing on the "Subwoofer".

5) The frequency gap of about 200Hz between the "Subwoofer" and "Cubes" assists in helping the listener to discern and localize where the "Cubes" and "Subwoofer" are located incase they disappear from your vision temporarily.

6) The small footprint allows for easy placement in any room décor making the wife happy, while yielding clock radio sound performance. You can buy multiple systems and place them in every room for clock radio "sound every where" if you have a few grand burning a hole in your pockets.

7) When you become so fed up with their poor sound quality of these speakers after a few months (worst case amount of time) you utilize the "Subwoofer" as an excellent, but expensive door stop or foot stool. The cubes, after pulling out the $2 paper cone drivers, will serve well as cup holders or coasters.

8) They yield similar or worse fidelity as speakers from respectable manufacturers costing 1/3 the amount. They pretty much make any competing speaker sound really good.

9) If you buy a particular model of these speakers today, in five years the replacement model will have gone through several series changes indicated as a Roman Numeral at the end of the model. However, the internal components and sound characteristics will remain unchanged so you will not need to upgrade, unless of course a new color is offered. Now that's progress!

10) You can buy these speakers at almost any department store making it easy for you to return them after a few days of painful listening.

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001636.html

and my favorite link about Bose... http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/bose.htm

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by Talon:

Well...at least I can admit I stand corrected.
Frown.gif
Justin, you suck.
Smile.gif

Glad you have seen the light Smile.gif sorry to burst your bubble about BOSE... aka BlOoSE Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Be careful if you get the Z560's, I had some last friday, used them for about 40 minutes and the amp fried on me, and im not the only one that has had this problem, Im takin them back and getting some promedias, apparently the amp construction in the Z560 isnt quite up to par according to a HT guy i talked to, who used to carry both, then dropped the Logitechs because of numerous returns on this issue, he claims the return rate of promedias is much lower, in fact only one case of an amp problem at all.

------------------

Bleedings ears are not a problem, but when your eyes explode you might want to turn it down some.......

Wow, I had no idea people were having that problem. Now I'm a little reluctant to buy them at all, let alone off of an online store... Too bad logitech doesnt have a tech support forum like a certain speaker company i know, lets see who was that again? Well maybe I'll just save up for the Klipsch's after all...

i have been reading more and more posts about this in various forums... i am going to just stick to Klipsch.Biggrin.gif

------------------

-justin

To answer the original question...

VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS is THE best choice.

I had this system before I ordered my SiroccoPro.Great subwoofer,clear midrange and imaging like the Loudmedias can dream about.Plus a nice DD and DTS decoder to boot.

Great system,big power and sound quality only very few can match(often costing more).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The full retail on the VL DTS is $600(can be found for less online if you look).

Since the DTS has a built in decoder you can send the digital signal from the DVD or sound card and the DTS will take care of the rest.

Its one fine 5.1 system...for the PC.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The Videologic Sirocco Crossfire is a 4.1 system less than $500.

The Videologic DTS DigiTheatre is NOT a gaming system. They do not have >2 channel inputs. The Videologic DTS DigiTheatre is for DVD movie playback ONLY. It can do 2 channel - but why pay the extra money?

You are paying a premium for Videologic speakers because they are imported from England. They are better. Their electrical contacts are all gold plated for one thing.

For shootouts go to 3Dsoundsurge.com

One reviewer bought the Sirocco Pros (a $900 2.1 system) after receiving a free set for a review. There are 2 reviewers for that web site. One German and one Cannuck. They are substantially more knowledgable than anyone else out there.

and they now have a comparisoin of the like top 5 multimedia speaker systems all in one! i read the whole thing last night... quite long but worth it Smile.gif

------------------

-justin