Earthquake Super Nova WOW! What a SUB

toussi1

I have had my Earthquake Super Nova MKIII-12 for 3 days and its been amazing. I am only using it for music. I never new the amount of bass i was missing in certian songs. This thing goes deep and i mean deep. I have heard alot of low end subwoofers (had KSW-12) and car subwoofers, but nothing i have ever heard came to the sheer presence of this 70 Pound 15" Cube Monster. According to the manual, you can reach 100dB @ 10HZ, 108dB @15Hz, 128dB @30Hz. I don't even want to test it too loud incase i cause some kind of damage to my weak constructed room/house. I know every body talks about SVS and how great they are, ok, but the SVS ultra is so much bigger! SuperNova for its size, its unbelivable. I actually had a chance to speak to the designer of the sub. According to him this subwoofer surpasses the sunfire, and he claims their is no better subwoofer at any cost. For you audiophiles, this sub is not boomy to me at all. I couldn't stand listing to music with the KSW-12 I had because it sounded so 1 Note. Not anymore, bass is acurate smooth deep and flat in repsonse. You can tell this is a quality sub when in the box you find a Birth Certificate with about 6 signatures of the people who put it together and tested it and a graph displaying its response measured.

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

TOUSSI1,

hOW much did it set you back.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Very impressive, not quite as loud as the svs from what I read at audioreview, but it was between 660 and 2500 dollars. I'll have to wait for theear's opinion, at $660, this is in my price range.

Edit, went to the main website, not as good as svs in 20 hz volume, but at 25 its 115, it really drops off past 25 hz. But it is $2000, so you can throw an extra $300 for more placement flexibility, and louder subsonic frequencies. I have no idea how tight this thing is.

This message has been edited by Btrigg on 01-17-2002 at 08:08 PM

I sold my klipsch KSW-12 and got about $300 for it and then bought the SuperNova for $590 - A STEAL BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. I know where to get it for $625 still brand new MKIII-12 - I keep listening to my musican and keep saying WOW! And trust me, I know good bass; you can call me a bass freak. I like my bass deep and clean.

I have never head the SVS, so i cannot say its worse or better. But again i say that i would rather have a 15" cube in a corner than a 3 FOOT high cylinder. Further more, for the price i paid for the unit, i couldn't have gotten an SVS Ultra any how.

------------------

Be careful when comparing the *specs* on a subwoofer to the actual measurements of a subwoofer published by a professional in the industry.

the mkII-12 was match by a single tn25 in the WSR review showdown published a while back.

if you can get them at 35-40% retail(which would be far below dealer)...and it's not a theft issue...seems like a great deal though.

TV

See what you did...

"But again i say that i would rather have a 15" cube in a corner than a 3 FOOT high cylinder."

When you make posts like these be sure you know how to hold your ground.TV will show up in a flash and start disecting your subs with some TN comparo tests. Wink.gif

I call HSU and SVS creations ...OIL BARRELS with bass!

cwm27.gif

What is sure they cant be beat in a price /performance contest.And its also obvious they are BIG,you know what they will say "teakes as much space as a Sunfire Signature..."sure does and its as high as the Empire State. LOL

Wink.gif

I know per cubic inch my Sunfire subs are champs of SPL down low.The Velo SPL and HGS series being good competiton. Smile.gif

I still will get several SVS.WHY? Performance is AWESOME.And most audiophiles will think these are bas traps! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The Ear, you didn't say anything about the earthquake. Have you ever compared it with your sunfire? I hear it smokes it.Cool.gif - "After the police left my house (apparently they received reports of an explosion somewhere in my neighborhood), I picked up the pieces of broken glass (no joke) and inserted the True Lies laserdisc into my LD player."

"To put it plainly, the Earthquake SuperNova is quite simply the most amazing subwoofer I've ever tested."

------------------

per the WSR piece

EQ12

20hz/98dB

25hz/106dB

30hz/113dB

Sunfire mkII

20h/104dB

25hz/104dB

30hz/109dB

Contra

20hz/115dB

25hz/116dB

30hz/117dB

the little subfire cube even beat the bigger EQ-15" driver model by 2dBs at 20hz.

There's a big difference between a manufacturer spec and published performance....at 35% of retail though...the EQ is a definite steal(I hope not literally).

TV

>>>But wait. What version of the Super Nova did WSR test?<<<

I dont know.

>>> The MKIII has higher output than the older MKII.<<<

Maybe...how much a dB or two max though? If the driver,enclosure and amp are the same...and all they did was move the PR...it's not going to mean that much really.

it would be cool to see Tom Nousaine put one thru it's paces though...maybe you can ask EQ if they plan on submitting one to him?

TV

Actually the MKII and MKIII look identical in even the driver placment. The MKIII however has an updated passive radiator. The MKIV is the one with the new 180 deg driver placment. They also removed the bass boost option from the amp and made the cabnet a tiny bit smaller. All i know is its a good sub, maybe not an SVS killer, but something that should be included in all those reviews. It could possibly come second or third in subs in under 2k.

------------------

TV,

Thanks for the info,this should shut ForrestGump.

104dB from a tiny 12" CUBE at 20Hz! HA how about that Gump.

And the Sunfire Signature gives a good 3-4 dB more at 20Hz.Who can beat Sunfire on real sub bass in with tiny cubes? NOBODY,while Velodyne SPL and HGS come near they dont shatter anything at all.

A real sub should be strong at 20Hz ...who cares how loud it can go at 80Hz or more?Just Gump and a few dreamers.

Sunfire is still king of low if space is limited.

Thanks again TV,it only shows class to post these specs.I am sure Gump will claim otherwise cwm1.gif

The Earthquake is a very good compact sub.Never said it was not a good sub.Around $600! Its a steal,a true bargain...almost a must buy at this price.

But the best subs should be the new SVS SS and JBL Ti-K sub.AWESOME I cant wait to order these this year(as soon as The Sub Fund is near full).

TheEAR(s) Now theears