Progressive scan DVD

wife-said-no

I went to look at a PS DVD player today to replace my normal DVD. The sales associate told me that PS only works with HDTV. Is this true? I thought that it took the normal interlaced scan of an analog TV and scanned it faster to get a better quality picture. Can someone please clear this up for me?

Mike

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

quote:

Originally posted by wife-said-no:

I thought the only requirement is that you have a component video(Y,Pr,Pb).

Nope, you also need a TV capable of supporting a 480p signal.

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 8000

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

quote:

can u run ps vid thru most a/v receivers or pre/pros? or do they need special ins/outs? what are the required specs on these?

No you can't run progressive scan through an a/v receiever unless it has "wideband" component inouts and outputs.

quote:

I thought the only requirement is that you have a component video(Y,Pr,Pb).

Component outputs deliver to your monitor the three "RGB" as it was originally recorded on the dvd. Component video is output as an interlaced signal on a dvd player that has component video outputs.

If you have a dvd player capable of Progressive scan, then progressive scan takes the signal to the next step. However you have to remember that the video is recorded as an interlaced signal on the dvd...so a progressive player converts the interlaced video over to progressive after it is line doubled. Ultimately, what is supposed to happen is that a progressive video is a smoother more film like image.

Eric.

------------------

Certifed Legend Maniac :

6 KLF-20 as mains, surrounds, rears!

1 KLF-C7 center!

All powered by Denon AVR-5700 (soon to be updated to Aragon Stage 1 !)

whoa!! video on dvd is recorded as progressive scan, and a ps dvd player allows that native ps signal to be shown as 480p, thus not 'converted' to interlaced, thus preserving the picture quality by not taking it thru a conversion process-this is my understanding-. to display 480p, you need a hd ready or hdtv that can display 480p (most do). i chose not to go w/ a ps dvd player, even though i have a sony hd ready tv that will display 480p. my tv takes 480i and upconverts to 960i, i'm happy w/the picture quality, and haven't seen a real difference w/ a ps dvd player. any component video connection will pass 480p, as long as it will display or output 480p; wideband component video is needed to pass a hdtv signal (720p or 1080i)

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

quote:

Originally posted by wife-said-no:

So, back to the question, what is the point of the component video(Y,Pr,Pb) plug on my TV. It is a Panasonic TAU pure flat 32" TV. I don't beleive that it is capable of more than 480i. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

Mike - Component video is the best signal transfer mechanism of the 3 generally in use - composite (the old single RCA plug connection), S-video, and component. The reason is that component video keeps the color signals separated as they travel from the source to the CRT gun(s) of the TV. It allows the TV processor to present a more accurately colored picture. So you will likely notice improvements just by using component inputs on your non-HDTV TV, big improvements is you are using composite and smaller if you are using S-video.

Composite and S-video combine the signals to a much greater extent than component, and require the TV processor to "decode" them.

Doug

------------------

My System

video is basically 5 'elements'-horizontal and vertical 'synch' signals and red,green,blue 'color difference'signals. the less you combine these signals, the purer the signal w/better picture quality as the result. a recently noted exception: i ran 3 composite video cables (33 ft.) as a component video cable, along w/s-video and 1-composite cable for my lcd projector...the s-vid looks better than the component!?! since my receiver doesn't have component vid switching, i'll try s-vid/vs./component to the hd sony 36 and see if component looks better than s; if it does, i'll hook the component out from dvd to the tv... progressive out available ONLY through component vid out. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!