Thinkin about B&W

Jordan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan: When we shopped for our system, my wife and I reviewed 13 different brands of systems. I was sold on getting B&W 700 Series and then we listened to the Klipsch reference series last. Their dynamic range and clarity blew us away. When we discovered they were actually less expensive than the B&Ws and a lot more efficient, our choice was clear. We ordered RF-7s and built our Klipsch 7.1 system around them. We've had them 4 years and have never regretted it; not for a moment. Best of luck on your quest. You might a look at KEF, too (another manufacturer from the UK like B&W). -Glenn

• 3 months later...

I own B&W Matrix 801's with the woofer Zobel defeated, as in the "Van Alstine Mod".

Really, the Mod came from B&W in a tech bulletin to make the matrix 801 less "monitor like" in domestic environments.

I have owned Klipschorns, Forte's, Klipsch CF 4's and CF 3's, versions one and two, Cornwalls, Belles, and heresys.

NO Klipsch speaker even comes close to an 801.

Yes, they will play louder, so what ?

The 801 is in a whole nother league then the Klipsch speakers i have had the pleasure of owning, making them sound crude by comparison.

The Klipsch CF 3 and CF 4's version ones are the closest to the Matrix 801.

I find them musical on some recordings, but overall no match for a Matrix 801.

This is NOT to slam Klipsch either, I still own my CF 3 version ones!

On the Lansing Forum, I met an ex JBL engineer when I owned JBL L7's.

Turns out, he designed them!

When he found out I also owned Matrix 801's, here was his response.

"What are you doing with L7's when you have 801's" ??

He told me they had a pair in the JBL Lab, and he was "caught" several times listening too them.

He considered them as close to perfection as it gets in a speaker.

I agree.

I compare everything to the Matrix 801, much like DB Keele did !!

DB Keele invented the CD Horn, and is entirely familiar with Horn Speakers.

he owned 801's

Even Laurie Fincham the ex KEF engineer used them at THX Lucasfilm Labs.

In the time I have owned Matrix 801's, probably 15 pairs of high end speakers have come and gone because Matrix 801 revealed them to be the pretenders they are.

I currently own Infinity Prelude Pfr, Klipsch CF 3's, and Big Polk SDA SRS Speakers.

As well as some 200 lb Von Schweikert Prototypes the size of refrigerators.

NONE can challenge 801 for overall musicality.

DB Keele, in his Audio Magazine days, compared everything to the Matrix 801's.

Now, I SEE why.

Speaker taste is a subjective thing, use what sounds good to you.

But I suggest you listen to a good pair of Matrix 801's if you can, since you asked about B&W.

I have Klipsch Fortes and I own a pair of 1970s B&W dm-1400s I love my Fortes very much, overall I prefer them to the B&Ws. But I will say the B&W are excellent speakers. Mine are only rated about 86 db so are difficult to drive. but they are SMOOOOTH. The only issue I would have to say about them is they won't get very loud, and I like loud, realy loud. I want to feel the Bass when I'm really cranking it. But for low level listening the B&W tops the Klipsch IMO. Also not by much just a little and they won't go as low as my FOrtes.

I owned B&W 703's for a year or so. Really nice, airy sound with good bass, outstanding mids and a rising top-end response which could be good or bad depending on your ears and set-up. I just don't think they are that great of a value. When I got mine, the list was $3000/pr. That's a lot of money around our house. Energy RC-70's are very similar and about 2/3 the price. And if you like to turn it up very loud very often, well klipsch just has very little competition in that race -at least, for the money.

Bigdaddy and JDM,

You both hit the nail on the head. Pretty much my exact experience regarding B&W's qualities. I listen at about 75 db most of the time and when I "crank it" I may get to 90 db. My B&W's will get really loud, but they are the S800's and I have to use 700 wpc Classe Monoblocks (formerly 800 wpc Brystons). So, yes, dollar for dollar for the same volume they are way more expensive, but I bought them for their other qualities. I am kind of annoyed that they require such expensive amps, even though they are 93 db efficient.

The new Palladiums should be interesting if they can do the same thing (clarity and smoothness) with much less power. I have read some threads on impressions of the Palladiums and hardcore members here who swore that a new speakers could never be better than a K Horn were impressed by the Palladium's other qualities when they finally heard them. It reminds me of my experience when I first heard B&W's.

Jordon,

All the B&W's are fine speakers but until you put a nice tube amp with your Klipsch you just have not heard how sweet they can be. You'll need a good arc welder to drive most B&W's and they will sound horrid with an Adcom. Get a nice tube amp/integrated, play with the cables a little and your system will be transformed. Have fun, Klipsch or B&W's can be part of a good system, the B&W's will take more power and some work to get them right.

Thanx, Russ

Some Klipsch and Tubes do sound good.

My CF 3's seem to like big solid state better.

The Klipschorns and Cornwalls did like Tubes.

I like Klipsch, or I would not be here.

I like that lively sound, the 801's just do not have that w.o a LOT of power,

I guess that is why I own so many pair of speakers ?

Someone else posted that B&W and Klipsch have a different philosophy on sound, B&W is more polite, laid back.

Klipsch in yer face more.

I like both,, just like brunettes and blondes.

Depends on the music ?

My Infiniy Prelude PFR's are a good cross between Klipsch and B&W.

They are 95 db, image real well, and more up front sounding then the 801's.

But the Matrix 801's have THAT Tweeter, and it is special.

Plus,a well set up pair of 801's image like few other speakers in that they disappear.

Watching TV, I swear it is rainin outside from another room.

The 801 really is a good speaker, and can sound real when the recording allows.

But so can Klipsch's with the right stuff in front.

I WISH one pair of speakers did everything ......

I actually use an adcom amp and that is what my B&W were hooked up to. They sounded just fine to me. But that is the reason for all the different brands. We all have different tastes. Like an earlier poster said the type of music makes a difference as well. For lighter stuff the B&W are the better speaker(just barely). When I want to watch an action movie or listen to something extremely Dynamic then the Fortes definitely get the nod. I've heard the 800s and the 801s from B&W and I'll say they are better sounding than the Jubilees I've heard but then the price reflects that if I'm not mistaken. I actually don't know what the Jubilees cost but I know the 800 cost 11,500 ea.

I actually don't know what the Jubilees cost but I know the 800 cost 11,500 ea.

So, $23,000 pair verses $7,000 pair (before xover expense)

Here, salestax is 9.25% so the sales tax alone ($2,127.00) on a pair of those B&W's would buy you a third of a pair of Jubilees lol.

They better sound better!! but do they sound three times better?

(I'm just a poor boy)

Bigdaddy,

Jordon has RF-7 and an Adcom 5500, not the best match IMO. My brother had 4 of the big Adcoms, with both my old Infinity RS 2.5's and with 3.6 Maggies. The Adcom was a bit harsh in these set-ups. Matched to a horn speaker, I'm not sure I would like the result. The Adcoms are good bang for the buck and it sounds like you have them working with your B&W's (tube pre-amp?). The electronics that Jordon listed (did he list his current pre-amp?) suggested that he did not have a good match for RF-7's. If I was in his situation, I would be looking for a nice tube pre-amp and some good Kimber copper interconnects and speaker cables before I would change the loudspeakers.

Thanx, Russ

Bigdaddy,

Jordon has RF-7 and an Adcom 5500, not the best match IMO. My brother had 4 of the big Adcoms, with both my old Infinity RS 2.5's and with 3.6 Maggies. The Adcom was a bit harsh in these set-ups. Matched to a horn speaker, I'm not sure I would like the result. The Adcoms are good bang for the buck and it sounds like you have them working with your B&W's (tube pre-amp?). The electronics that Jordon listed (did he list his current pre-amp?) suggested that he did not have a good match for RF-7's. If I was in his situation, I would be looking for a nice tube pre-amp and some good Kimber copper interconnects and speaker cables before I would change the loudspeakers.

Thanx, Russ

I heard Adcoms with B&W Matrix 801's. Really unpleasant (harsh) sound. I lent him a paior of Bryston 7B ST's and they sounded just as bad (and similar). Well, it was January and even in the desert it gets cold. The Brystons were very cold to the touch from the ride over. After they reached room temperature the Brystons just smoothed out and bloomed. Moral, you can do much better than the Adcoms. If you don't want to spend much there is a Forte Model 3 on Audiogon right now. Nelson Pass amp for $500.