Upgrading Speakers Advice

acsether

I currently have a Panasonic 50" plasma, PS3 for Blu-ray, Pioneer VSX 816 and the Quintet synergy 3's and the Sub 10. I know it's not the best of the best but I came from a home theatre in a box and I love them. So I think i'm ready to upgrade. My question is i'm going to start to upgrading the speakers a pair at a time can you do that with this speaker setup. If so which speakers would you start with Center ,Fronts, Surrounds or Sub. Also what selection of Series and models would you recomend.

Thank You

Adam

Tell us about your room size and budget.

Honestly - I highly recommend looking into buying used Heritage. Get Heresy's all the way around and you won't look back. If you can afford it go with cornwalls...

I believe what I've heard is the best sound comes from having the same speaker all the way around, and you can get way more bang for the buck buying used heritage than new reference (and the sound is... well - better).

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Adam! I cannot comment on the heritage line since I have not heard them myself. Sadly enough, appearance means a lot to me and I have personally never liked the "old school" look on speakers. I much prefer the style of the Reference Series and have listened to several of the higher end Reference Line and absolutely love the sound they produce. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

As mentioned, budget, WAF, space, ratio of music/movies, room size and even personal preference all play a role in determining which setup would be best for you.

If you want to upgrade a "pair at a time". If it were me, I would purchase in this order: front speakers, then center, then sub, and lastly the rears. Definitely consider the used market. You can usually find someone that has the upgrade bug and is wanting to move above what they have and you can get a good deal on their used setup which might be perfect for your upgrade needs.

I actually was in this same predicament a couple months ago. I was at first only looking into buying some small bookshelf speakers. Then the bookshelfs kept getting bigger, soon I was looking into floorstanding speakers. In the end I was in between the RF62s and RF82s. I bought the RF62s,RC62, and a RW10d. I said what the hell, go for it. Im glad I did and these guys on this forum helped me alot,[:)] youth,cough cough. lol

Anyway, go with what you can afford now. Buy the best everything. Dont settle, then you will have that I wish I did syndrome. I would definatley start with the fronts and receiver. then center. The center is basically your MAIN speaker. 60-80% of the movie track comes from it. Then sub to finish it off. You can always evaluate this setup and make sure you want rears. If you do, save for them.

Welcome to the forum!! You'll get the best HT bang for your buck with a center channel and subwoofer. Match your L and R's with your new center as your budget allows. Remember, your center channel will determine what your other ft speakers will be, so put some thought into it.

My room size is probally 14 feet by 12 feet. Budget wise thats why I want to do it in increments 200 to 400 a set or less i will look into used I want the best bang for the dollar I love to watch blu-ray movies, watch Football, play video games listen to music and watch tv all pretty equally. I like to listen to everthing loud especially movies. I want to feel like i'm in the movie.

Thank You Adam

My room size is probally 14 feet by 12 feet. Budget wise thats why I want to do it in increments 200 to 400 a set or less i will look into used I want the best bang for the dollar I love to watch blu-ray movies, watch Football, play video games listen to music and watch tv all pretty equally. I like to listen to everthing loud especially movies. I want to feel like i'm in the movie.

Thank You Adam

Thank You Adam

• Moderators

I actually thought I was responding to each persons comments. LOL

[:D] It's all good. If you want to reply to someone's comment, when you hit reply, just click on the "Quote" button above and it will insert the HTML code into your post. Then add your comments after it. If you just want to quote part of what they said, highlight the part you want to quote and hit the "Quote Button". Then add your comments after it.

Hi and welcome

I also was in the same boat – upgrading to Klipsch reference line, first I brought the receiver Yamaha 7.1 then fronts and centre 35’s then rw12 and then finally and just recently the rs35. Took approx 2 years to complete, very happy tho. Please be wary, as I almost got caught out, if you leave it to late to complete your HT setup you might find that the speakers you want next could be discontinued and may find it very hard to find what you want. This almost happened to me with the RS35, I hunted and hunted them down, then finally I found one pair that was x-display model. I was so greatfull. I suppose if you can not find you just have to go to the new model J

I have never heard the Heritage line either but apparently they are very nice. Don’t go over your head, as previously mentioned spend what your budget allows.

budget, smudget, what kind of crap are you guys feeding him. I want everyone who "when the time came" said "to hell with the budget" to stand up like real men and admit it. Don't tell him to stick to what you could'nt stick to. I know Damn well I'm not the only one who set out to buy a $400 pair of speakers, and brought home a pair of KHORS, and a $400 pair of speakers...........

Here is how it works, you spend way over your budget, but tell yourself (or you sig other) "it's OK cause I'm gonna sell the gear that this is replaceing". Think of it like "the checks in the mail"

Now for some advive for your "$200" budget, buy a pair of Forte or Forte II mains. I promise you will be happy!!!!!!

Till the next time.

I have a question of whether this would be a good deal and is it going to be that much better than I have right now or hold out. I found someone selling their 5.1 set Klipsch almost brand new hardly used. The set up is The SF-2'S , SC-1,SS-1'S AND A KSW 12. So I know these are the last model speakers . I went into Best buy and listened to the new F-3's, C-3, S-3's and the KSW12 and I LOVED THEM. He is selling them for 900 bucks I think I can get them for a little less maybe. Then I went to vanns.com and pretty much found the same set up except for they were SF-1's and everything else was the same for 950 brand new. So I guess my question is am I going to be happy with the performance of the speakers and are they that much better than the quintet III and ksw 10 i have now. As you can see i'm really confused LOL[&][:D] please help me with this decision!!!!!!!!