Time to go shopping ...

Deang

Tony:

My Sharp LC 32GP1U has a specification of 6,220,000 dots, (1920 x 1080 x 3dots). This is taken out of the manual page 55. Not sure what they mean by "dots". Probably something else to confuse the public.

JJK

My Sharp LC 32GP1U has a specification of 6,220,000 dots, (1920 x 1080 x 3dots). This is taken out of the manual page 55. Not sure what they mean by "dots". Probably something else to confuse the public.

Since no one responded, I figured I would clear up the confusion.

Yes, it is meant to confusion, and sound better. Doesn't it?If you think of it in the the LCD sense, it takes 3 dots, the RGB componets, to make one pixel. Pixel being able to reproduce the the 'color pinwheel' vs an individual channel of the RGB scheme.

Like Tony mentioned 1080P is a standard 1920x1080 pixels which is the ~2million pixels. Granted you can make/find monitors that have a larger resolution, but you won't have content to fill it.

• 1 year later...

A lot of movies, especially Blu-Ray, are recorded in their original theatrical width and height, which is not 16:9 like all HDTVs are. If you see a movie that's encoded with around a 2.35:1 ratio it will have black bars unless you zoom the picture on your TV or player. If the aspect ratio is around 1.85:1 it won't have them.

Video games are made differently because they weren't originally intended to be played on a theater screen.

• Moderators

when i play cod MW2 on ps3 i have no black bars :) When i watch Blu-Ray Transformers ,Wild Hogs, Dark Knight ect ect.... i do why is that ??? ANYONE

Check out this article on Aspect Ratio Explained and this info on Aspect Ratio. Your screen is likely 16:9. When you watch Transformers, it is in a wider aspect ratio (I believe it's 2.35:1 or 2:40:1. The image fills the width of your screen but to keep the image proportional, the screen isn't wide enough to fill the top and bottom (thus the grey or black bars). Some TV's will allow you to stretch the image height (bad idea) or stretch the width (again bad idea) since they both distort the image and make the characters either tall or fat. Unfortunately, until they come out with a cinescope LCD or Plasma, grey bars are here to stay.

• Moderators

Interesting that that a Thread from May ,2008 would get revived..........................

To me that never matters....except when people post to an old thread in the Garage Sale asking if the item is still available. [:D]

If there is an old thread and someone has a question or comment regarding it, the information is what is important, not the date of the information.

Do note that some movies like Dark Knight and Trasnsformers have an 'IMAX' version on blu-ray. The movie is 2.35:1 except the IMAX scenes which are the 16:9(1.87:1), so your black bars go away. You may not even notice it changing sometimes. This throws off the projection guys moreso. :-)

Wow this is a blast from the past. A 42'' 1080p plasma for $1500. Lol now you can get the 58'' for that price. DeanG you have a dif tv now or the same one? For anyone who does not like the black bars i have found a solution that works for me. Get a bigger tv!! (just realized how much i would like to go bigger from my 52'')

• Moderators

dgoreck is right on the money. It frustrates me since I've got a 2.35:1 screen, when Dark Knight switches to the IMAX scenes, the images goes off the screen. In my screenshots below, the first two are in the standard 2.35:1 aspect, the bottom two images are when it switches to IMAX.

batman.jpg

• Moderators

For anyone who does not like the black bars i have found a solution that works for me. Get a bigger tv!! (just realized how much i would like to go bigger from my 52'')

Bigger TV isnt' the answer. You need a TV that has a wider aspect ratio. I'm not sure they make a cinescope TV but I haven't looked either. Most LCD and Plasma's are 16:9 aspect and even if you went from a 52" to a 65", you still will have the same aspect ratio thus still having to look at grey bars.