Looking for a Cheapo Used Turntable

JoeRiff

I've been perusing Ebay for cheap used turntables. I’m not looking to spend much more than $100 for a used model. It will see little use and will be hooked up to my secondary basement bar system playing through my Sony receiver and Forte II's. I've been looking at a couple different brands like Technics and Dennon, but I don't have anything particular in mind.

Can anyone recommend any specific brands or models considering my price limits? Thanks.

Have seen those brands and others for as little as $10. to $150. recently on Craigslist. Any turntable you can find within reasonable driving distance to watch and hear it play, demo is a good candidate. That said, a Technics in playing condition with cart/stylus included, I personally would do the deal, seeing as how popular, read not uncommon they are nowaday. Saw a Rotel TT here in Fl for cheap while browsing this PM.

A stock Thorens TD-165 goes for approx. $100. I had one for a 2nd table a few years ago and was very pleased. It was just too bouncy for my room. It sounded better than both the Music Hall MMF-5 and VPI HW19 I had and blew away my old Technics SL-1800. It sounded great with every cart I ever tried on it including a Shure V15, Grado Green and a few others. Very musical TT and a real bargain for the money. YMMV.

As far as I know, it's now in the hands of forum member Colonial Hoo.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't know that a used Thorens could be had in that price range.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I've noticed a lot of auctions where they seller says that it, "Worked the last time I hooked it up years ago." However, the seller doesn't know if it still plays now, just that the lights come on and that the platter spins. They also will not guarantee that is works now. There is a pretty nice Marantz on Craigslist for $150 in my home state and also a Thorens on ebay with this description. I have been very leery of these listings, should I be?

You have to bear in mind that I am very ignorant on Thorens TT's. How does the TD-160 rate? From what I found it is a larger version of the TD-165 with some differently designed and beefier parts. I'm still not sure if a Thorens would be the way to go as they seem to be more maintenance intensive and I am using this in a partially finished basement, but I'm keeping my options open.

I have recently begun listening to LPs again. The Pioneer PL-512 is sounding really sweet. It's manual with a Circuit City clearance AT-1001 cart ($3.99). I've seen the PL-512 on Ebay for under $50.00. Just ordered a Shure M97Xe and can hardly wait.

Guest BobG

I sold a lot of the 160 when it was new (yeah, I'm that old). It's a nice unit though if you have bouncy floors, it's going to be a problem. Use a medium compliance cartridge and you should be fine. I cannot comment on how these are holding up after 30 years.

The floor is solid concrete, so I presume that would not be a problem as far as bouncy goes. There are a few 160 s on ebay right now that I'm watching, but it looks like it may be more money than I'm looking to spend.

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of Technics models out there and not very much info on the differences. I've been trying to do research with little luck. Most of them seem to be decent quality though.

You can spend a little more and buy a Technics SL1200 that is used and in good condition. If you don't like it, you can get your money back out of it.

I just bought a new Technics SL1210 MK2 (Sl1200 in black) from Musicians Friend. The price was very reasonable.

I had a Denon DP37 before. I should have kept it. Very solid fully automatic table. They show up on ebay for about $100 or so from time to time.

Here is a good deal:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1215400936