la scala project

JUBILATION alright!! It was great fun showing my 11yo son. I'm very jealous....I Love the way the grille looks and the complexity of the cabinetry was
as awe inspiring. Its so good to see a project from beginning to end
like this. the ideas i get!!!????

He powers those with some 8-10 watt amps, and from those who have heard them, they are awesome.

They are a clone, of sorts, of the Klipschorn Jubilee (about as close as you can get without Klipsch giving you a set of plans), which quite a few on here have purchased. They aren't in the regular lineup, but are a part of the cinema line of speakers from Klipsch. The cost is somewhere arount $7K a pair.

Bruce

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.netrez.net/broch_au_sp/images/map_australia_large.gif

I found it. I did not get that far north of Melbourne. I drove the coast to Canberra, then inland to Wagga Wagga, Bathurst, Dubbo and north before turning south back to Sidney along the coast. Being the uber geek I am and since I work for a large power utility here, I even toured a coal-fired power station on a lake in NSW. They recycled all of their water where we don't, here.

I need to come back for another visit.

Australia is such an incredibly dry place if you don't live in the tropics or the sub tropics. We are in the midst of an 11year drought and its looking like all hope is gone with regards the normalizing of the weather patterns. Ever since 1788 when Australia became a British colony we have had to cope with the cycle of drought and flooding rain. The British ruined this country by trying to make this country like well, Britian. They were very frightened by the endless forests and set about denuding the environment. They didn't understand, or care about the fragility of the ancient landscape and now soil degradation through erosion is as much a problem as drought. As the environment dried out, water available for evaporation and therefore rain substantially declined. Australia is geologically incredibly stable. The Mountains have eroded away and not forced up like in geologically active continents. The highest Mountain being only about 8000ft. This means that there aren't really high mountain ranges like America to "catch" vast amounts of water, though the whole of the east coast from the tip of Cape York(our most northerly point) to western Victoria has an almost unbroken chain of "mountains". The main advantage of such a stable continent is earthquakes are almost, but not quite, unheard of. You go to New Zealand for that........14000ft mountains and earthquakes very often.

The power station you visited would probably have been a part of the Snowy River Scheme of the post war years. It's actually one of the wonders of the industrial world. That's all well and good when it rains, however it doesn't much anymore. Red Energy, is my power provider, and their marketing strategy is "renewable" energy. Well it was very interesting to note that the Snowy Scheme is almost empty and they use(Red) cheap Off Peak electricity from poor quality brown coal to pump water to power their bloody turbines! That's how bad its got! Rice is a major crop and there is almost none planted and harvested in past years, farmers having zero water allocation. Nobody knows when or if it is ever going end. The worst drought since European settlement. Very bleak. The economy is booming due to the mining boom however.

You probably knew a lot of this stuff, John, this rambling being for those of you who here who may be interested!

P.

X

yeahhhhh, that's what i'm talkin' about. That's a pair of Mans' speakers. How fantastic.

When i was young(and stupid) as opposed to old(an etc)i would have turned up my arrogant nose at that amp. Now all i want to do is have some. Who has any ideas on good reasonably priced S/H mono tube amps for my lascala project? I want some that do good bass and good treble. Nothing esoteric, just a good honest amps. Now, y'all, i have NEVER heard any Hi Fi tube amps, just old radios, so i am definitely in your hands. I'm not a SE/PP/ULPPetc,etc nazi. the relative merit of any particular brand is what i'm after, regadless of the type of amp design. watts are probably irrelevant for our horns, yeah?

My lascala project is going to be 511/902/Crites cast woof/1" ply cabs/ALK ES600 Xovers and the bass mod, so far. (511 horns in transit from US)

Split LaScala with bass mod in the top cabinet, anyone?? how could you do it and keep the swivel airtight? we might have to think laterally, but i wonder if there is anything commercially available that might be adapted to do this. building or automotive industries maybe?? wood or ????

P

sorry john, i got carried away, again. You did state it was coal poer station not hydro!

hey that link you sent me to "more info on 911/511" thread sends me back here.

Paul.

Don't understand that. When I paste

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/103727/1049084.aspx#1049084

into the address window, it sends me to the other thread. I posted a graph of the predicted response of the 902/511B on top of an FH-1 with the crossover I designed and the tested response of a 902 on a 511B.

Last year was the driest year in 117 years for us. My company had to take several big generating units off-line because we couldn't run them and meet their environmental permit requirements for temperature because of low river flow. That happened during the summer of highest electricity demand to date! It got scary a few days.

Why don't you just build a separate top for the treble horn and turn it as needed. May I suggest a turntable bearing like this:

http://www.shop.com/Shepherd_TV09548_TV_6_Lazy_Sus_Turntable_-11115575-o!.shtml?trk=9

Excuse the poor picture, but here's how my tops looked before paint.

post-2142-13819373873614_thumb.jpg

I'm not a SE/PP/ULPPetc,etc nazi. the relative merit of any particular brand is what i'm after, regadless of the type of amp design. watts are probably irrelevant for our horns, yeah?

I'm not a special tube nazi either! Whatever floats yer boat and sounds good to you is what it is all about. I have SET, PP and SS in the house, and it all osunds good. Yeah, the horns don't need a lot, although some do use a lot of watts. I think they are mostly deaf, though, and that explains a lot of it. [;)]

I have friends who live in Tasmania, moved over in the early '80s. They love it over there.

Bruce

well Bruce i wrote a message about Tasmania for you but its vanished.

It was rather long and i don't know where it went. into the ether probably! i wish it hadn't.

Maybe i'll rewrite it in the next few days but it won't be the same(it'll be a Joseph Smith)

p

yeah,

John id like to do the Bass Mod in the top cabinet if poss, AND have the advantage of split.

this could be tricky, as it has to turn and pass wind(hehe) if you know what i mean!

did you design a crossover?

If i do the Bass mod I don't want to do it on the bottom. puts the bass bin too high and looks yuk.

P

The corner reflectors are shown in the sketch below. The dimension I think should ve a bit wider is the 3 1/8" in the sketch below. Horns should expand more or less smoothly. If you do the math, the horn behind the doghouse is 3" x 22 1/4". In the corner it is 4 1/3" x 22 1/4". Then, beside the doghouse it is 3 1/8" x 22 1/4". Corner reflectors can help that, but there is little expansion from the back of the doghouse around to the "roof". FH-1s have the corner reflectors and respond adequately to 1k Hz.

The 902/511B responds quite well to 20k Hz and needs no tweeter. I would use Al's ES600 crossover, or something similar, instead of the ES500.

Weighing in... I now have the 2-way "Alt-Scala" (aka) "La Scaltec" (I think).

e.g. the 511/GPA 902-16A/ES-500
combination.

The ES-500's instead of 600 or 700's because they were
available to me at the moment. Pretty nice. The 20hz range of the 902
so far is a very nice change from the K-77 in the stock tops. I'd echo John about maybe trying the 600 or 700 (or 800?) crossover point. I suspect (suspect) that in combination with the attenuation of the ES HF section, that they might give me a push in the range I desire. No hard evidence or facts on this yet though. Need to tinker with an EQ and see what boosting where does as a quick/dirty test.

If running lower power, you may be interested in trying the universals or AP networks (if 2 way is an option with all of them), I would like to at some point myself if so.

I have not attempted to attenuate for the expected 600hz->2khz hump.

I do plan to try the corner reflectors and bass mod (on bottom) at some point.

Anyone have a comment on how secure the bass reflectors would need to be?

e.g. can I dummy some up and just pop them in with self-stick velcro strips, or do I need to screw them down tight right off the bat?

(If they weren't resonably nice looking/intact/stencilled PA bins, I'd have an easier time with putting holes in)

John id like to do the Bass Mod in the top cabinet if poss, AND have the advantage of split.

this could be tricky, as it has to turn and pass wind(hehe) if you know what i mean!

did you design a crossover?

If i do the Bass mod I don't want to do it on the bottom. puts the bass bin too high and looks yuk.

Not to be a pest, but the JubScala conversion adds 3dB to the standard LS bass bin's output (and more at the push of a button on the Dx38, if you feel the need for it), while correcting the existing hump in the upper bass.

Not to be a pest, but the JubScala conversion adds 3dB to the standard LS bass bin's output (and more at the push of a button on the Dx38, if you feel the need for it), while correcting the existing hump in the upper bass.

...and he might be able to get the Dx38 in AU (or shipped) for a resonable price.

Though fwiw, I think he's already got 511's on the way. Maybe the 3db still holds true. (?)

hi everyone!

still here, just laying low, been getting the messages(they're emailed) though. speak over the weekend. we're a day in front of you guys. eastern aust is +10GMT, so while its my Saturday you're all still at work. see ya Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My 511 horns rocked up in good condition. freight was a bit hefty at US$215 as the horns were only $139. what can you do?? Still A$380 not too bad as you can't get them here.

haven't really done anything with the project much as this computer (my gaming one) is dying, so i'll have to put funds towards another gaming one for my son (and me). That said, things arent so bad that i can't keep ticking along with this project, just a bit slower.

John what is the difference between an Altec 902-8A and a 902-8B. I saw your thread on the A and T variants here, but i want to know about the A and B???

I can't seem to find anything on google(easily) so the wealth of info that this place seems to be should have been my first stop really!!

see ya

Paul.

Paul,

I'm not sure of the differences between an 8A and an 8B. I ask Great Plains Audio (the survivors and tooling from Altec) about the difference betwen an 8B and an 8T and he said, "not much". 8Ts always came on short tweter horns. An e-mail to Great Plains should answer that question.