Good Wife Needs Recommendations for Husband's Birthday Present

gizmogirl256

Hoping someone can give me a couple of pointers for my husband's upcoming birthday. We're finishing our basement and putting in an HT system. He's a Klipsch fan and currently has 2 R-5800-W for the fronts and 2 CDT-5800-C for the rears. I could use some suggestions on the center and sub(s). We've wired for having 2 subs (but I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible). Any help is greatly appreciated!

We'll need the center and subwoofers. I'm holding off on the receiver until he really figures out what he wants. So looking for the right match for the 5800s. I've seen RC-52 mentioned for the center but have no idea on the sub. I wish I could say an unlimited budget, but reality want to get the most bang for the buck. Trying to be somewhat practical for his rather large man-cave project. [:P]

• Moderators

Feel free to ask all the questions you need.

Maybe this will help with the numbering scheme:

R = Reference
C = Center
B = Bookshelf
F = Floorstanding
S = Surround
52 = Two 5" woofers
62 = Two 6 1/2" woofers
83 = Three 8" woofers

Thus RC-62 = Reference Center with two 6.5" woofers.

I'm not sure that Klipsch makes a non-inwall center that is timbre matched to the R-5800-W's. With that in mind...if you are using the R-5800-W in wall speakers for your mains, they have an 8" woofer in them. Usually a matching center speaker has a slightly smaller speaker than the main speakers. So the next step down from 8" would be 6.5" which the RC-62 has. The RC-52 has two 5" woofers. I have heard the RC-52 with the RF-82 main speakers and it sounded very weak with the RF-82's in my opinion. I think you would experience a much more pleasant sound from the RC-62 than the RC-52.

or an RC35 which can be had for under $300. The RC35 is last years model of the RC62. same thing in my opinion. My dad just got one and it sounds great.

sounddistributors.com and ask for eric. he is the one that hooked me up with a package.

I wouldn't wan't someone guessing at what I wanted from the audio realm. Just tell him he's free to use $X toward getting whatever he needs for the project. He gets to choose what he wants.

There's nothing worse than getting that perfect piece of equipment that you don't want. Best bet is to always let the man choose the toys on his own for maximum enjoyment.

LOL. That's kind of the conclusion that I came to. Don't mess with the cars and the stereo equipment! I ended up printing out the thread, packaging it up and presenting it to him. I just couldn't commit and he was amused. I'm thinking we'll end up going with the RC-35 and a couple of the RW12s.

an RC35 which can be had for under $300

You have no idea how lucky you are in America in regards to Klipsch prices.

The RC35 cost me just over a $1000 over a year ago. I get stuck with al the duty, insurance and transsport costs.

For the price I paid for my system I recon I could get a 5.1 system full of Heritage Cornwall's. Well maybe not, but close to it anyway [:'(]

My wife has bought virtually all of my gear for me. She fishes around for ideas on the exact thing i am looking for, model, etc. Then she gets it all set up.

She does the same for me. Told me the exact Louis Vuitton purse she wanted, so I just had to go get it. That way I don't buy the wrong thing...

It works for us anyway.

Paul