WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? HELP NEEDED

DU73

Hi

I just brought PS3 for use of BlueRay

Trying to get sound to my AV Yamaha receiver

Used HDMI cable for picture

OPtical for sound

Though sound through optical is not working, therfore no sound to Klipsch speakers

I have tried to go into the PS3 setting to check if I need to select optical and I cant even find this.

Any suggestions ?

Arky - you remembered. Big Smile Yes - sounds better I think but still thinking of power amp. I haven't been able to test the sound properly as when I hooked it up it was late so I could not really test the sound. I will test it later this morning. It's 6.28 am now.

Jordan - thanks, that is where I found it. I think because optical setting is like optional on PS3 you then have to go into system settings to select it.

Question. it is giving me the sh!ts. because I am so pedantic - I brought the movie Ratatouille to test the sound and pic and the TV screen is like only half. Like I see the full pic in widescreen but the top and bottom is black, I don't mind seeing a bit of black on top and bottom but this is like half a screen. I have played with the PS3 settings but cant seem to fix. My TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX7OA. On some dvd's I have tried the screen is good like normal but on others it is like Ratatouille. ANY SUGGESTION TO FIX THIS.

Found it - it's ok.

This is tough - I have never owned a ps3 or xbox - did have an Atari once.

I had to tell the PS3 that I have a 1080 tv (whatever that means) then had to 'upscale'? the video output to normal or wide

Well after 10 coffee's and many headache tablets and up many hours I finally got there.

I must sound like a true dummy to all you tech guru's but to me this is complicated stuff.

I think I am still stuck in the 80's

I had to tell the PS3 that I have a 1080 tv (whatever that means) then had to 'upscale'? the video output to normal or wide

1080 is High Definition and so is 730. It indicates how many scanning lines on the screen are used to make up the image, as compared with the 525 lines (or is that 480?) of regular NTSC TV, the type used in North America.

Also, you'll get taller (wider?) black bars on the top and bottom of your screen with certain movies that are extra-wide.

Guest srobak

I brought the movie Ratatouille to test the sound and pic and the TV screen is like only half. Like I see the full pic in widescreen but the top and bottom is black, I don't mind seeing a bit of black on top and bottom but this is like half a screen. I have played with the PS3 settings but cant seem to fix. My TV is a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX7OA. On some dvd's I have tried the screen is good like normal but on others it is like Ratatouille. ANY SUGGESTION TO FIX THIS.

On several movies you will not be able to. While your display is 16:9, most movies are shot in 2.40:1, and only some are converted when going to DVD press. You will get a letterboxing effect with those movies.

Thank you for all for your responses.

Well I finally had a chance to test the sound quality and yes it is much better than what I had so I am very happy with that.

Problem is with the PS3 that I am experiencing is that although it has optical and HDMI outs you can only choose one at a time, my receiver does not have HDMI, so I have the optical to my AV receiver and the HDMI to plasma, so if I want to use my Klipsch I have to go into the PS3 settings and switch the sound from HDMI to optical everytime and then back to HDMI when finished.

I don’t know why you cant have both the outputs selected. Maybe I am doing wrong.

Thanks for that, at least I know now that only one sound output can be selected at a time. That is what I might have to do just keep the optical selected and run the sound through the AV receiver.