La Scala's bass question?????

The JubScala is an interesting idea. However, by itself, it will not cure the boominess problem. You did mention re-orienting the speakers etc and I certainly agree with that advice. As far as the sub goes, yes that will extend the low frequency but it will not cure the "boominess" if that is being caused by the room itself.

You now mention that these La Scalas are no where near the sound of the Klipschorns you used to have (we did not originally know you had Klipschorns). Yes, that is true and they never will. The Klipschorn is a big cabinet and smaller cabinets can't compete.

-Tom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OB, here we go again, which is why I don't hang out here anymore Gees! Of course I put them up for sale that wasn't the question but you knew that! The question was where did you get the idea the whole thread was posted with the intent to sale. I think if you reflect a little you will understand the natural progression here, it would make much more sense to list the speakers online in a couple of places rather than complaining about the speakers and then try to sell them. But again you knew that, your just trying to start trouble. Please go bother someone else[li]

Nice pictures of the JubScala, I thought you would show me the jub bass bins LOL not the tweeter. I bet they sound great.

All the best, Guy

Please go bother someone elseLightning

GROW UP , Why the lead in to the Selling of them, that's what you had in mind when you posted it! Do you even know the sound of Boomy Bass? Those were your words, not mine, you started the thread, people gave you suggestions, but you respond by asking $500. for them ...... PLEASE go play your Blues through your La Scala's .....................

This will be my last post I'm not going to play ping pong with you here! Dear kind sir (OB) please reread the entire thread before you start in on me. I tried all sugjestions including checking seal, gaskets and woofer etc. etc. etc. Please have a nice day [:D]

Nice pictures of the JubScala, I thought you would show me the jub bass bins LOL not the tweeter. I bet they sound great.

Ideally, I'd like to have Jubilees, both the bass bins and the 402 horns, but they're beyond my budget at the present time and they're a bit bulky. The JubScalas are a relatively compact and inexpensive way to approximate the Jubilee sound.

As for distortion, the low bass region is the least critical in that regard. ........... Distortion from tweeters is easy to hear, from woofers not so easy, and from subwoofers fairly difficult. Put your ear to the grille of a sub and see if you can pick out any distortion. I sure can't.

When the string of a bass instrument is plucked (if it has strings, of course), most of the "pluck" sound is in the mid-bass or higher and doesn't come from the sub at all. The deep resonances of the instrument may come out of the sub, but if the pitch and impulse response are faithful to the sound of the live instrument, a little distortion from the sub will not be bothersome or even audible in most cases.

I completely disagree with your first statement. Distortion products from woofers are easily in the audible frequency range and I hear them readily. Some distortion from tweeters is inaudible. The 2nd harmonic of 7500 is above my hearing range these days.

"Speed" is not applicable to subwoofers. The sound of "speed" comes from higher frequencies. So, I do agree with the second statement.

• Moderators

This will be my last post I'm not going to play ping pong with you here! Dear kind sir (OB) please reread the entire thread before you start in on me.

GOOD BYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............. I hate ping pong So I guess you'll play with yourself !!!!!!!!!!

OB,

This is completely unnecessary.

playntheblues,

I apologize you were treated this way on our forum. It is not the norm, and I hope you reconsider and stick around.

Thanks

As for distortion, the low bass region is the least critical in that regard. ........... Distortion from tweeters is easy to hear, from woofers not so easy, and from subwoofers fairly difficult. Put your ear to the grille of a sub and see if you can pick out any distortion. I sure can't.

When the string of a bass instrument is plucked (if it has strings, of course), most of the "pluck" sound is in the mid-bass or higher and doesn't come from the sub at all. The deep resonances of the instrument may come out of the sub, but if the pitch and impulse response are faithful to the sound of the live instrument, a little distortion from the sub will not be bothersome or even audible in most cases.

I completely disagree with your first statement. Distortion products from woofers are easily in the audible frequency range and I hear them readily. Some distortion from tweeters is inaudible. The 2nd harmonic of 7500 is above my hearing range these days.

"Speed" is not applicable to subwoofers. The sound of "speed" comes from higher frequencies. So, I do agree with the second statement.

Distortion from woofers is certainly audible in certain frequency ranges. I'm just saying that as the frequency goes down, so does the audibility of the distortion, to my ears at least. When I put my ear to the sub, I hear something deep, but it needs to be heard with the woofer at the same time to be called music.

As for "speed", would "accurate transient response" be a term that sounds more correct to you? If a sub has poor transient response, the sound would be dull when compared to a live bass sound.

I agree with John Albright (see my avatar). My MWM "subs" have the same low distortion and transient characteristic as the LaScala, but all 4 of them run off the MONO sub out of my AV receiver for 2.1 stereo (IOW, they get the .1 signal). They are crossed at 150 Hz, which is the only way I could tame the 150 Hz. peak coming from the LaScala (this could be the blues guy's problem).

My current setup has way more definition, detail, and impact than my Khorns ever did (for 30 years, mind you).

"Is there an easy fix here or not? "

EQ. You need to pull in the fairly broad peak they have around 170hz. Some hear that as 'deep bass' (the old BBC trick) some hear it as boomyness or conjestion..etc.etc.

Shawn

John,

"Distortion products from woofers are easily in the audible frequency range and I hear them readily. "

From what I've seen distortion is more readily audible in the bass range then it is elsewhere. Likely because of the frequencies involved.

Shawn