lascala's live sound?

lewis

The short answer is yes, but there are always qualifications.

Do you currently have some that you want to use? If so, what year are they, and have they had any mods made to them?

The older ones are rated at 100watts with 400 watt peaks. Since they are insanely efficient, it will partly depend on your venue AND the style of music being played through them. If they had Bob Crite's CT125 tweeters in them, for many places you probably wouldn't have much of a problem. Bob's tweeters are a drop in replacement for the LS K77 tweeters.

Bruce

Yes I do have a pair now. I believe there from the early 80's. We would be using them for older and newer Country Rock in venues that hold between 500 and 1,000 people. Do you know if we would be able to run any instruments through them or are they mainly for vocals only? Sonny

That is a pretty large venue. I am thinking you would need more cabinets to work well. You could run instruments through them no problem, but you owuld need multiples or the cabs.

I ran two pairs and a pair of MWM's for years and played up to 500 seat venues.

Really not enough for 1000 seat.

I ran everything through the system, including the kick drum. Maybe times have changed, and if you're relying on stage sound for the instruments and just using the PA for vocals and a little fill-in, then you'll be fine with a couple pairs of La Scalas and some subs. But not one pair of LS's.

Seems like every local live band I go to see these days is NOT using a sound man and the sound is aweful.

Greg

couple of pairs and some subs.

Yes, Klipsch KP-480 subs in particular.

For that setting, I'd put 200 watts per La Scala (4 of them). and 800+ watts per KP-480 (2 or more). Use an electronic crossover set at 100 HZ, maybe 120 Hz) for the subs.

You can run any and all of your instruments through the La Scalas. The bottom few notes of a bass will be weak as will the big drums without the subs.

You can calculate the sound level at any distance from them. The max practical level is 121 dB at 1 meter (3.3 feet). Ouch. The level drops 6 dB for each doubling of distance. 2,4,8,16 meters (53') is 6 x 4 = -24 d, or 97 dB max. (loud, but comfortable enough).

101 dB AVERAGE is about the practical AVERAGE limit. Knocking off 24 dB gets 77 dB, that's TV watching.

Knock off another 3 dB, or so for the absorbtion of people's bodies and you aren't as loud as table conversation.

Another pair of La Scalas adds 6 dB back.

So, if you're in a place big enough to hold 1000 people, a pair of La Scalas is not enough and 2 pair is looking marginal.

In a 1000 person hall, a single pair of La Scalas might be enough if they are only carrying voice and acoustic guitar. They look like they may be close to being driven into audible distortion even then.

A couple of questions: first, if a pair of La Scalas are adequate for a 200-seat venue, would that be in the case of putting out rock concert/dance club volume, or for "making a speech" volume?

Second, how would the design of the speakers be different if they were designed to be arrayed? Is it not as simple as adding more speakers to get more volume?

Second, how would the design of the speakers be different if they were designed to be arrayed? Is it not as simple as adding more speakers to get more volume?

Two LS should cover 200 for all but the very loudest (110+dB SPL) show. Arrayable speakers have less than 90 deg. horizontal coverage, usually 60 deg. or less. Flat-fronting a pair of LS per side will result in terrible comb filtering and spotty/uneven coverage.

Two LS should cover 200 for all but the very loudest (110+dB SPL) show. Arrayable speakers have less than 90 deg. horizontal coverage, usually 60 deg. or less. Flat-fronting a pair of LS per side will result in terrible comb filtering and spotty/uneven coverage.

Thanks for clearing that up, Don. Since my living room rarely has more than three or four people in it, my speakers should be well within their happy operating range, with headroom to spare, not that I was ever in any doubt. [H]

'Happy Operating Range' Cool We'll start using that as a new spec, it will be the HOR, er, well on second thought...

That makes sense. After all, the bass bins are Wood Horns Of Relatively Exponential Specification, aren't they? It's a wonder women allow their husbands to spend hours alone with them.

I understand what you guys are all saying, and I have seen the industrial LaScalas, but are they really meant for a larger audioance of 500-1000? It seems like people may use them in clubs and such, but if you where to do anything larger would it be wiser to go more on the real Pro route that is used in theatres? Those places hold anywhere from what 500-1500 people? Wouldn't they be a bit more on pair for live music per se? I'm not knocking the lascalas.

One would think Klipsch would have line arrays for these things, but seems they are more home/pro theatre centered.
Producing sound for an audution of 20, 50 or 100,000 is definately a different task then a 1500 person theatre.

I understand what you guys are all saying, and I have seen the industrial LaScalas, but are they really meant for a larger audioance of 500-1000? It seems like people may use them in clubs and such, but if you where to do anything larger would it be wiser to go more on the real Pro route that is used in theatres? Those places hold anywhere from what 500-1500 people? Wouldn't they be a bit more on pair for live music per se? I'm not knocking the lascalas.

One would think Klipsch would have line arrays for these things, but seems they are more home/pro theatre centered.
Producing sound for an audution of 20, 50 or 100,000 is definately a different task then a 1500 person theatre.

Klipsch make speakers for home use, for theatre/club use and for instore/business use that are all well thought of. Maybe they figure they have their fingers in enough pies as it is. As you suggested, speakers for huge concert venues are different from what Klipsch makes at present and it would probably be tough to go up against well-established manufacturers in that area.