Re-capped forte II networks

Brac

He all, having a bit of knee surgery tomorrow. Thought I would recap my forte II's while I'm laid up. Just wondering if anyone else has done this, and if they took any pictures....

Otherwise Just wish me luck with the knee and the networks...

Best of luck with knee surgery and trust you will have a quicker recovery than me. I had a total knee replacement last October done in South Africa. It is just starting to work well now. Given the price, I expected it to be like a Rolls Royce engine but it sounds more like a Yugo.

Wilson

I recapped the crossovers in my Forte I's a couple months back, I'm not sure how different the Forte II's xovers are from the I's. I replaced the caps with Sonicaps from a kit Bob Crites sent out to me, a real nice improvement over the stock caps. The hardest part was figuring out that you have to desolder and unwind the wire wrapped around the binding post, once that is done you can remove the board from the binding post cup, desolder the old caps, then I placed the new caps in the board and made sure they were placed properly then soldered them in, I placed a little silicone under the caps to keep them from vibrating loose. I used a desoldering wick to remove the old caps and had one of the circuit board traces lift up a bit, it wasn't a problem but if I were to do this again I would like to try a solder sucker instead of the wick, I had to use the wick several times to remove the solder on the trace that lifted up. Take your time and look at everything to make sure it is correct before soldering. When done give it some time to let the caps break in. Good luck and hope your running around again soon.

Phill

I am one of those who believe that effect of the cap (and the Iron Core inductor, for THAT matter) used in the woofer low-pass filter approaches negligible. Others will vigorously jump up and down and disagree ... and that is all right. I spend my money where "I feel" I can (hope to) TELL a difference (imagined or real). Certainly NOT as pretty as some other's handy work.

[;)]

I am one of those who believe that effect of the cap (and the Iron Core inductor, for THAT matter) used in the woofer low-pass filter approaches negligible. Others will vigorously jump up and down and disagree ... and that is all right. I spend my money where "I feel" I can (hope to) TELL a difference (imagined or real). Certainly NOT as pretty as some other's handy work.

Wink

Ah, yes, gotcha.

Jerohm, What is the part I put the box around? I know it's a Coil, but what is the difference between the old and the new? I got the kit from Bob but it just has caps. I'm trying to swap out the electroletic since I have i them but not an easy fit....

post-28352-1381937435713_thumb.jpg

Jerohm, What is the part I put the box around? I know it's a Coil, but what is the difference between the old and the new? I got the kit from Bob but it just has caps. I'm trying to swap out the electroletic since I have i them but not an easy fit....

It is the .16mH inductor. It is a foil type; some swear BY them ... and others AT them. The (Sonicap) CAPs Bob sent you, SHOULD BE the most audibly critical. Anything else is a personal choice. I used a dremel cutting wheel to add a slot to the circuit board to accommodate the one lead (the other wraps over the edge to the bottom of the board - See the first photo I posted). I also drilled a hole to fish a tie-wrap through.

Part of the reason I used the foil inductor, was that the .16mH part is NOT ALL that easy to find ... and that the seller would provide the custom value (I needed) at little to no cost.

Just something you MIGHT want to ponder; if you are receptive to drilling additional holes, you could probably move the BLACK (electrolytic/Polys?) (110uF) to the board without much of a fuss. The connection to the 2.75mH inductor might be a bit of a creative challenge, but access to the Negative(-) is a breeze.

post-4037-1381937436529_thumb.jpg