Anyone have a toyota Rav4 or a honda CRV

merkin

I'm looking for another vehicle. I like the looks of both but was wondering how they perform. I want 4x4. I will use it to pull my jet ski with some also. It needs to be able to cruise down the interstate at near 80 mph for hours without sputtering. I now have a Yukon xl which I am keeping to pull my boat and family vacations. I just need something smaller and better mpg for around town and golf outings and such. What kind of milage do they actually get, not just the ratings? I have been leaning towards the toyota since I can get a V6 which I think will give it more pep and will pull the jet ski better. The V6 has just as good milage ratings. I haven't test drove either yet though. Do either have any quirks or problems?

Thanks

Keith

Are you looking at brand new or used? If I remember correctly, the newest RAV-4s are ridiculously fast + powerful if you get the 3.5 V6. I'm thinking the 4 cylinder might be as much of an interstate cruiser as the 6.

I have a '99 Honda CRV and love it. It has 106K on it, and I expect another 100K. Sorry, but no experience towing. I think the newer CRV's have around 165 hp. Mine, and I assume the new ones, have "on-demand 4WD" which means that if the front drive wheels lose traction and start spinning, then up to 50% of drive is transfered to the rear wheels. It does this via sensors automatically; there is no driver control of this. On the highway I get very close to the EPA estimate, about 27 or 28 mpg, and about 21-22 in city. Extremely high reliability; Consumer Reports survey data indicates that, as of about 2005, the CRV (along with one Lexus model) are the most reliable vehicles on the road. I have had to do nothing except scheduled maintenance.

When I was shopping for the SUV, I looked closely at the RAV4; the only thing I did not like was the absence of a rear bumper; today's models may have one.

There is at least one CRV owner's forum [http://www.hondasuv.com/members/]; it's basically a love fest, similar to the Klipsch forum. [:)]

Wuzzzer,

I'm looking at new or near new. The towing isn't that far except once a year we go to lake of the Ozarks or Table rock, which are only 5 to 7 hours. Rest of the time I just have to tow the jet ski to the river which is only 4 miles away. Thanks Richard I was also wondering about reliability.

Rosalie, my wife, has got a 97 CRV. We have been loyal Honda owners since 1985. This vehicle is the most underpowered, gas guzzling, Honda we have ever owned. I have had 2 waterpumps replaced, a radiator and of course the timing belt changed. $3000 in cooling system problems in the last 4 years.

We purchased an 08 Accord Wednesday to replace this vehicle. The 97 CRV has got yhe 4 cyl and it is my belief, that the engine is under way too much strain to run effectivly. I think you would have a hard time running 80 MPH with a jet ski in tow with my wifes CRV. Of course this is our experience. Your mileage may vary.

Rosalie, my wife, has got a 97 CRV. We have been loyal Honda owners since 1985. This vehicle is the most underpowered, gas guzzling, Honda we have ever owned. I have had 2 waterpumps replaced, a radiator and of course the timing belt changed. $3000 in cooling system problems in the last 4 years.

We purchased an 08 Accord Wednesday to replace this vehicle. The 97 CRV has got yhe 4 cyl and it is my belief, that the engine is under way too much strain to run effectivly. I think you would have a hard time running 80 MPH with a jet ski in tow with my wifes CRV. Of course this is our experience. Your mileage may vary.

If I am not mistaken, 97 was the first year of the CRV, and, according to my dealer, the most common complaint of owners was that it was underpowered, maybe only around 125 hp. Honda tweaked the engine, and by 99 (my model year), it was up to about 140 hp. The new ones have 165 hp, and maybe a whole new engine design.

My experience as a reference point: When I drive over the Appalachian mountains on I-40, at 75 mph or so, on rare occasions on 2-3 mile-long steep inclines I have to down shift (I have 5-spd manual transmission) to 4th to maintain speed (75 mph would put it around 4000+ rpm); in 5th (3500 rpm), there is not enough power (torque?) to maintain 75 mph.

Merkin, you should look at the Honda owners' forum I mentioned above, and will surely find threads relating to towing; if not, post your question there.