Elephant + paintbrush = "OMG"!

pauln

There are those that think the elephant has only been trained to paint and that he does not know what he is really doing... the addition of the flower seems to support that. There are those that say the sign languaging apes and the texting dolphins are also just acting out of carefully constructed behavior modification training.

The thing I noticed right off was that the elephant pauses for what seems like a moment of reflection before his first stroke of the brush - longer than before any of the other stokes of the painting. I suppose they taught him that, too?

What's going on in the mind of the elephant? How young a child could be taught the same thing? What would that child's idea be of what was going on? At what point does a behavior become complex enough that it is attributed to the actor and not the trainer?

I am not sure that I saw the elephant in that picture. That said I have seen nature films of wild Elephants tenderly touching and handling Elephant bones in an Elephant grave yard. There is intelligence in the wild, we are just to dumb to see it in many cases.

Linky

Of all the elephants that have taken up the art of painting, most have adopted the abstract expressionist school; but one has learned to do something amazing....

I prefer the abstract expressionism, actually.

How young a child could be taught the same thing?

Oh, God no! All children are "artists," until someone tries to teach them ART. Then it's the struggle to unlearn what's been taught. I'd prefer an approach where they're given access to materials, and see what comes.