alternative to expensive pre-pro

mbajner

Instead of buying an expensive A/V pre-pro

How about using a good receiver?

Currently using my Yamaha RXV2095 as my pre-pro

my amp is an Anthem MCA50

Thinking of getting the Yamaha RXV863 to use as a pre-pro

It does:

Full support for HD audio formats ensures maximum enjoyment of all high definition sources. Other advantages include full HD 1080p video upscaling with 3 HDMI inputs, HD Radio™ tuner, as well as exclusive Yamaha features such as Pure Direct,YPAO sound optimization and four SCENE buttons.

So is this idea worth it?

The reason I asked is that this Yamaha is priced right ( under $1,000 ) and does a lot compared to way more expensive Pre-Pro only units

Was looking at an Anthem AVM50 which is not cheap by any means

As I mentioned, running a Yamaha receiver currently as a pre-pro and I am satisfied with the results so far. The separate amp really made a difference in sound.

Looking for arguments for going with a totally pre-pro only unit compared to this alternative.

I want the video conversion and the latest Digital sound fields that are out there.

Hey if you use the receiver as the pre, doesn't the receiver amps still run and generate heat? I mean I realise its not interacting with the speaker, but of you use the a receiver's pre amp section's volume control to turn up your exterior amp running the speakers, its also running the receiver amp correct?

Hey if you use the receiver as the pre, doesn't the receiver amps still run and generate heat? I mean I realise its not interacting with the speaker, but of you use the a receiver's pre amp section's volume control to turn up your exterior amp running the speakers, its also running the receiver amp correct?

When the receiver's amps aren't being used, they'd be generating very little heat. For instance, if you have a 7.1 receiver, but are driving only 5 speakers for a 5.1 system, the two unused channels are receiving no signal and are idling. In my 5.1 system, I have external power amps for the main speakers, so the 7.1 receiver's power amp is using only 3 of its channels, powering the center and surround speakers.

Since the power supply is usually the limiting factor with receivers, using fewer channels also often means more power available for those channels. One popular "7 x 100 watt" receiver tested at 55 watts per channel when driving 5 channels, but 132 watts per channel when driving just 2 channels in 2-Channel Stereo mode.

BTW, there are a number of forum members successfully using Yamaha receivers as pre-pros or preamps.