Good amp for Forte II's?

MD1032

Hey all,

Well I recently posted (scroll down) a rather enthusiastic post showing that I got my Forte II's. So far, they're spectacular, but I definitely have a problem with my amp, my Harman Kardon 430 amp. This is a generally well-regarded amp, and it's easy to see why: the sound is quite good. However, it was obviously damaged in shipping because it is emitting a low-level hum and hiss. The seller is already in the process of getting a refund from FedEx. So, in the end, no damage done, I will have gotten this amp for free, but it's still not making me happy. The sound was noticeable through the B3's, and now that I have the Fortes, it's even more painfully obvious.

The question is, what do I do? I could try to fix the amp, but I am not an electrical engineer and only have basic soldering skills. I tried Deoxit on the pots and that didn't do anything. It must be coming from the amp itself because the bass, treble, and volume controls actually affect the sound. Maybe old caps or a bad transistor. At any rate, I seriously doubt it's worth the money to fix it as it was $75 shipped in the first place.

I could also just try to get another amp. This one's good, but I get the feeling it's just not the best I can do. It's just a tiny bit leaner on the bass than my parents' Pioneer SX-3700, but more detailed on the treble. I personally wouldn't mind a little more bass, though, and I'm guessing the reason it's a little lean on the bass has something to do with its age and this problem.

Anyway, I'd appreciate a recommendation from the pros here! If you think I'd be happy just getting another 430 that has a black background, that would do the trick, but if you have another recommendation, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

By amp do you mean receiver or just amplifier?

Either. I have a receiver obviously but I never listen to the radio or use a tape deck with it.

Actually, I was talking to a buddy on another site I'm on and he said I'd be better off just having the 430 serviced rather than risking getting a new one or something else. What do you guys think of that?

I am a big fan of Parasound and Rotel (9xx and 10xx series) if solid state meets your requirement. I am sure you can spend more, or less, with pretty much any 'high current' (generally impervious to load) amp with good results. This is an observation, from a purely digital (dsp) point of view, which may not "belong" on a 2 channel thread that hold analog near and dear to their hearts,but do not under-estimate the effect of the DSP source (i.e., the D/A processing of the preamp or device). DACs have gotten MUCH better (and cheaper) starting about 5 years ago. If you do all your D/A conversions in your preamp, make sure not to ignore its effect... it can be the MOST pronounced improvement