3 Channel Demonstration Information Needed

Somehow I misplaced the handout that was passed out as well as my notes that I made during the demonstration.

So, if anyone can post or send me a copy of the handout, it would be much appreciated.

Also, a list of the equipment that was used for the demonstration would be helpful as well.

Thank You in advance!!!

JJ

"Doing this on my Lexicon should be a snap.... All I need is some time"

Very easy (under a minute), it can do that and so much more. You haven't scratched the surface of what the Lexicon can do if you haven't really tried it on music yet. :)

Which Lexicon do you have? Let me know if you have any setup questions.

Shawn

Shawn, that was quick. You must have a bot programed to flag you whenever someone posts the word Lexicon [:)]

I have an old MC1 with the latest upgrade chip, and LOVE IT. I think it took me about 6 months to really learn what the lexicon can do. My 7.1 Logic 7 sounds way better than any others I have ever heard... not to brag or anything. Other than the usuall imaging between the sides and rears and the front 3 array, I have amazing imaging between my sides and mains also. I would take an old used Lexicon over most brand new other brands.

I have a lot of open spots to play arround with a new 3CH program [:)]

JM

Nahh, I was just following this thread since I have been using more the 2 channel stereo for a long time.

A v4 MC-1 is a really nice machine. This is a fun trick I did with one a couple of weeks ago...
DSCN0002.jpg
That is a MC-1 accepting 6 channels of SACD digitally.

If you want to try 3 channel stereo similar to how the mini-box works that is dead simple on the Lexicon.

Use the Music Surround effect, in effect adjustment set Center Steering to None and it will perform a passive mono fill. Then just turn the fader control all the way to the front to turn off the surrounds or in the Effect Adjustment you can turn the side and rear levels down all the way to shut them off.

After you try that for awhile then go back into Effect Adjustment and turn on some center steering and hear how the changes the sound. I prefer a steered center over the passive fill as it reduces the comb filtering on vocals between L/R and makes the imaging far more stable for listeners out of the sweet spot.

Then after you do that for awhile bring the sides/rears back up to get the ambiance in the recording coming at you from the proper directions.

Then try Music Logic........

Have fun,

Shawn

If anyone is looking for a single LaScala for a center channel, I will have a few original single LaScalas for sale in the Garage Sale section (1 black lacquer and 1 oiled birch). I also have my original resistor box to create the "mono in the middle." It's the one PWK came up with and was using in his home. I just made one modification. I put a potentionmeter in the center out so that you can change the attenuation (mine was at around -4 db).Email me.

Excellent Feedback guys!!! Thank You!!

I need all the 'Electronics' advice I can get so keep the suggestions coming on what to use for this adventure.

I've been wanting to do this for some time but kept putting it off because I wasn't convinced that it would make much of a difference to justify the cost and time. Now that I have actually heard a 3 CH set-up, the project is not on the back burner anymore.

In anticipation of setting up a 3 CH system, I've acquired the speakers (2 KHorns and a Belle) and also purchased a resistor box that DRBILL had made.

My initial thought was to use all 'Tube' amps to pull this off but due to having a run of bad luck with Tube amps, I'm switching my game plan to utilize Solidstate Amp(s) and DSP processing.

Now its time to get the basement squared away to make this all happen.

Thanks

JJ

For the last 8 years or so iI have been using a Merdian 561 for my 3 channel setup. Nice small preamp/ processor. It has around 12-15 major sound processing type. "Trifield" is the setting that I use 98% of the time. It gives a very realistic 3 channel soundstage from any 2 channel recording. You can pair the 561 up with any type amplification.Solidstate or tubed. Whatever floats your boat. I'm using 3 Baldwin mono tube amps, all 6l6 driven. Original cost for the Meridian was around $5000 new, You can find one e-bay for around $500-$600 now. Couldn't be happier with my audio equipment and none of it is for sale now.

It's neat to see additional interest in this!

As Shawn mentioned, the Lexicon will work really well for this and provide a great amount of flexibility and fine tuning. I built PWK's 'minibox' center channel box a few years ago just on a whim one early Saturday morning, and it changed the way I listen to music. The addition of a third derived center channel was far and away the most significant updgrade I had ever made, and it cost me nothing.

Shawn let me borrow a slightly older model Lexicon to help me learn what's actually possible with surround sound, and we purchased our own shortly after. Two-channel listening still sounds good to me, although I find it less natural and realistic than our carefully tuned 5.1 Klipschorn, Heresy, SVS, system. Some claimed that it is simply sitting in the middle of the combined crosshairs of five loudspeakers, and that description couldn't be more inaccurate. The sense of subtle envelopment and acoustic space can be pretty amazing.

There are times I wish I hadn't sold our La Scalas in order to use three identical speakers for the front stage, but the Klipschorns and Heresies are not bad at all, and seem to work better here in terms of domestic compromise with audio and room decor. ;)

Have Fun!

Erik