Anyone familiar with vintage Luxman

oldenough

Last Saturday we had our yard sale, my wife insisted I cut down some of my "inventory" or junk as she laughingly calls it.. So I decided no matter what it was if it hadn't been plugged in for a year then I would put it for sale. So out went half a dozen receivers, a few of pairs of speakers (absolutely no Klipsch), half a dozen turntables and assorted odds and ends. Things were rolling along nicely, stuff was flying out, money was rolling in. In comes a local guy I know from my thift store hunts, plus I bought some vinyl from him last year. Anyway he purchased two cheapo receivers for use in his garage. He then say's to me would I be interested in buying some stuff from him, my wife's ears pricked and she gave me that look....Yeah...You know.."that look". But when he mentioned Luxman we both bolted across the lawn and into his truck, with me screamin' to the wife..."i'll be back", I think I heard her say.."don't bother". Fast-forward to his garage.....he pulls a white dust cover off of the Luxman stuff. Now I ain't no expert on Luxman, in fact I ain't no expert at anything except peeing off my dear wife, but I figured this stuff is nice, and I can't afford it. So with my best poker-face I say's "how much do you want for it?...He says...I was thinkin' like...$350, to cut a long story short I'm outta there (quickly) 300 bucks lighter...guess where the money came from??? Yup.. Elsie's yard-sale money!!! Anyways I just got around to plugging this beautiful stuff in and giving it a listen...wow! this IS nice and it is real easy on the eye in its rosewood cases, five pieces, Turntable PD277 with Denon m/c cartridge...Int amp L-580..Graphic EQ...Tuner...and Cassette...The real clincher is that once the wife clapped eyes on it I was'nt so deep in the Doo-Doo as I had been. The amp is what really shines, it really makes my RF-5's sing. The T/T with the Denon cartridge ain't no slouch either, not sure what model it is (nothing printed on it) but from a little research it looks identical to the DL-103 but the body is white, couldn't find any info on the Amp so..any ideas...anyone??

post-21054-1381938171166_thumb.jpg

post-21054-1381939311778_thumb.jpg

Yeah...You know.."that look". But when he mentioned Luxman we both bolted across the lawn and into his truck, with me screamin' to the wife..."i'll be back", I think I heard her say.."don't bother".

LOL!

The Denon cartridge ought to have the model number printed on he bottom (side toward the record). If it's a 103D, I'd be interested in lightening your load a bit (just trying to make your wife a little happier, y'know!).

Nice pick up.

I owned that very integrated for quite some time. It went very well with my Chorus II's I had. I sold it on ebay for 550.00. So you got yourself a pretty darn good deal. That is some gorgeous equipment to look and listen to.

The one thing I can't figure out....why did this guy buy a crappy jvc receiver for his garage from me, when he had this out there??? I truly don't believe he knew what it was, I guess Luxman isn't exactly a household name to most.

It is 110 wpc @ 8 ohms if memory serves me correctly. Actually I'm pretty sure of that number. It is a very nice unit. And to have the complete set just makes it that much nicer.

It sold from 1976-1980 for 800.00.

Yeah...You know.."that look". But when he mentioned Luxman we both bolted across the lawn and into his truck, with me screamin' to the wife..."i'll be back", I think I heard her say.."don't bother".

LOL!

The Denon cartridge ought to have the model number printed on he bottom (side toward the record). If it's a 103D, I'd be interested in lightening your load a bit (just trying to make your wife a little happier, y'know!).

Hi Fini, had a good look at the underneath of the cartridge nuthin' printed there!! Well whatever it is it sounds really nice i think it's a keeper.

LOL!

Hi Fini, had a good look at the underneath of the cartridge nuthin' printed there!! Well whatever it is it sounds really nice i think it's a keeper.
Oops, maybe it's on the top of the cartridge!

The good news is you didn’t purchase the later “mid-fi” Luxman gear from the beginning-of-the-end Alpine/Luxman Electronics era. The bad news is your stuff isn’t in the category of their high-end gear either.

The LV-580 is a nice integrated. It looks a lot like its predecessor higher end brothers & sisters but it’s not. The tuner and graphic EQ are so-so, although they look nice and are built well.

The turntable, I hate to tell you but Luxman turntables, as magnificently well-built as most of them appear to be, they are terrible turntables. I had a Luxman PD-121. It was built like a Rolls Royce. Looked great. And it was by far the worst TT I ever owned!!! Feedback, poor isolation, the un-weighted rumble from the direct drive was atrocious. The arm is actually “OK”, made for Luxman by Micro Seiki I believe.

If the Denon pickp is a DL-103, then it’s a fine lower priced moving coil (MSRP $229).

Considering the price you paid and the condition everything appears to be in I’d say you made out pretty well.

Agreed Arto, I realized it wasn't of the high end category, but I have to disagree as far as the T/T I have here. Now while I can only compare it to my Rega Planar 2, Rb300 and v15 iii, without going into a drawn out review I would have to say the combination of the Denon cartridge and t/t does a very nice job that is very easy to listen to and extremely pleasant. How much of this is due to the cartridge...?? I think my criteria could of course be different to others, if I sit down and enjoy what I hear any technical faults that may be there are easily overcome. Once I can pull myself away from listening to this (two days now) I will try the dl 103 on my Rega....I'm pretty sure I won't be listening to the V15 as much now. As for the EQ, and Cassette player I wont be using them but there quite nice eye candy.

Agreed Arto, but I have to disagree as far as the T/T I have here. Now while I can only compare it to my Rega Planar 2, Rb300 and v15 iii, without going into a drawn out review I would have to say the combination of the Denon cartridge and t/t does a very nice job that is very easy to listen to and extremely pleasant. How much of this is due to the cartridge...??

I think a lot of it is probably due to the cartridge. I have one too, although admittedly I rarely use it. It may take some time to discover the turntable's inadequacies but I guarantee you they are there. Quite frankly, I'd put the Denon on the Rega. It's a much better turntable & I think you'll get better results from the Rega arm too.