Killin' me here

Gary W. Graley

'always, always, ALWAYS turn the gain down before engaging any equipment'

This is great for analog gear... but some equipment like my HK 645 AVR don't have this option. The volume doesn't do squat until there is power applied.

Simply turn volume down before disengaging power. It will either start back at that level or the preset power-on level (my Yammie RXV2600 has this too)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, and been to thoes guys already a while back, have tinnitus

so it sort of rings all the time anyways [:^)]

I'm looking at a Denon 3808, but at $1,700 I've some saving to do if

I even think about that, will check some more tonight to see whats what

it's the Billy Joel SACD The Stranger that really sounds weird right now

the voices are off in the distant for some reason, very odd.

The Lyle Lovett SACD Joshua Judges Ruth sounds ok, I've only the two

SACD's don't see myself buying many more of them.

G2

When turning on my Luxman int amp it puts the volume and input selector back to what they were when I turned it off. I always turn the volume down before I turn it off so it is a nice feature to have on the int amp.

I did one time hook up the left and right channel from my AVR into the Luxman amp and watched a movie with the Luxman volume at about half. Well forgot to turn down the volume when done watching the movie. Started a cd and my La Scalas got about 50 watts so I know how ya feel!

Yikes, I bet that was really loud!

Well, monkeyed around a little more, turns out my center channel wasn't

being engaged by the receiver, took a bit more fussing around but got that

back on and it sounds a lot better, too late right now to throw Billy Joel back in

but I think that will take care of how weird it was sounding, I hope!

Had Pirates 2 in there, that sounded very very nice, so hopefully I won't have to

figure out a new receiver, checked and saw my Sony's been running for about 6 1/2 years now

gotta last a bit longer!

G2

Thanks, and been to thoes guys already a while back, have tinnitus

so it sort of rings all the time anyways Huh?

I'm looking at a Denon 3808, but at $1,700 I've some saving to do if

I even think about that, will check some more tonight to see whats what

it's the Billy Joel SACD The Stranger that really sounds weird right now

the voices are off in the distant for some reason, very odd.

The Lyle Lovett SACD Joshua Judges Ruth sounds ok, I've only the two

SACD's don't see myself buying many more of them.

G2

Gary,

If the Tinnitus ever gets bad enough, maybe you could upgrade to a set of 50s CornerHorns with the wooden midrange horn, and make like Thomas Alva Edison did??

Roger

I had three little weddings, I mean daughters, and was fortunate while they were growing up that they didn't mess with the stereo. Back then I had a Sansui Integrated Amp and tuner with an Adcom power amp added a bit later, surprisingly when I went back to just the Sansui integrated Amp the sound seemed more detailed and open than with the Adcom, weird! Also had DBX Soundfield 100 speakers trapazoidal looking rascals but threw a nice image no matter where you walked in the room, wasn't as good for Home Theater when I got into that, hence the move to the Klipsch, which should last a long time if I can keep the grand kids outta there [st]

G2

G2,

I am a vast wealth of useless information D/T IQ of 148, I retain alot of crap. Anyhow, a little bit of history for you. I am sure you knew that Edison invented the light bulb. You may have known that Edison invented the phonograph. What you may not have known is that as a boy, Edison was a telegraph operator who worked on a train obtaining messages for the train and sending messages for passengers from station to station, and used that job to buy chemicals for his first chemistry set which he kept on the train. One day at a station, the train started to pull out before Edison had got back on the train and as he was running down the tracks after the train, the conductor reached over and grabbed young Edison by his Ears and pulled Edison over the railing of the Caboose by his ears. Edison heard a loud pop when the coductor did this. From that point on, Edison had Tinitus and progressive hearing loss. If you go to the Edison home and laboratory in Florida where he spent his latter years, on display is one of his old phonographs with a large wooden horn on display. If you look at the old wooden horn, you will see multiple sets of teeth marks in the wood that were left by Edison in his elderly conditioin as he had become deaf enough that he would bite into the wooden horn to transfer the sound into his head so that he could listen to music. A little bit of history, and hence my reference to the old wooden horned corner horns and your tinitus.

Roger

Now that is something I hadn't heard about!

Well I remember the day it struck me, not the date, but the day, we were removing leaves

around our Church, raking them up onto a tarp and throwing them into a deep ravine, our

Pastor loaned me some gloves he had from his garage, I slipped them on, started working

and felt a stinging bite on my wrist, looked down and saw a large mark on my wrist, I suspect

it was a large spider that was hiding out in the glove, within an hours time of that bite the ringing

started, I remember asking the Pastor what that noise was, of course he didn't hear it, I had almost

no sleep for the next few weeks as it kept me awake, now it's just annoying and I'm use to it some

what, but it makes reading a real pain, hard to sit down to a nice book with that, so my reading

has dropped off considerably.

G2

Well I remember the day it struck me, not the date, but the day, we were removing leaves

around our Church, raking them up onto a tarp and throwing them into a deep ravine, our

Pastor loaned me some gloves he had from his garage, I slipped them on, started working

and felt a stinging bite on my wrist, looked down and saw a large mark on my wrist, I suspect

it was a large spider that was hiding out in the glove, within an hours time of that bite the ringing

started, I remember asking the Pastor what that noise was, of course he didn't hear it, I had almost

no sleep for the next few weeks as it kept me awake, now it's just annoying and I'm use to it some

what, but it makes reading a real pain, hard to sit down to a nice book with that, so my reading

G2

G2,

No good deed goes unpunished!! What geographical area did this church reside in, and how long ago has this happened??

Roger

G2

G2,

No good deed goes unpunished!! What geographical area did this church reside in, and how long ago has this happened??

Roger

North eastern PA, just below Elmira NY, and at least 5 years ago

I asked the ENT doc about any connection, he just laughed and said NO, but it's a mighty

big coincidence and it was a large bite...

I've tried lots of things, cutting out caffiene, sugar, took some 'stuff' that was suppose to help

my wife got some drops for me that was also suppose to help, nothing yet...

and yep, no good deed goes unpunished [H]

G2

North eastern PA, just below Elmira NY, and at least 5 years ago

I asked the ENT doc about any connection, he just laughed and said NO, but it's a mighty

big coincidence and it was a large bite...

I've tried lots of things, cutting out caffiene, sugar, took some 'stuff' that was suppose to help

my wife got some drops for me that was also suppose to help, nothing yet...

and yep, no good deed goes unpunished Cool

G2

G squared,

That is too far east and north for a Brown Recluse, but it would have possibly explained a little.

I will try to take a picture of my knife late tommorow and get it sent soon. I would like some words on the back side if possible of the sheath. I like some of your butterfly knife sheaths. I really like some of the knives for sale on your attached link.... Prices for his knives??

Roger