Comparing My Klipschorns with My Cornwall (clones) on VRDs...

Yesterday I moved some stuff around and hooked my new Cornwall
(clones by Speakerfritz) up to the NOSValves VRDs, BlueBerry MkI and
Heart CD player...some observations...

I noticed that the Corns
are not as efficient as the K'Horns...my K'Horns (AK-4) is supposed to
be 105dB efficient and I am unsure on the Cornwall clones by
Speakerfritz...checking Klipsch's information they may be anywhere from
98.5dB to 102dB...I just need to kick up the volume a little bit for
the same level sound...

I think the Klipschorns have more middle
presence...it is difficult to A/B these speakers as I don't have any
speaker changer and need to listen for a bit to one, then power down
and cool off the Tubes and listen to the others...as I had other things
I needed to do I only got to listen to a bit of the Cornwalls last
night and this morining beofre work...

The bass on these
Cornwalls is really a delight...I am not yet prepared to say better but
it almost seems deeper than the K'Horns...an unexpected plus.

I
need to do more critical listening and would like to get your feedback
on this or if you see any flaws to my logic that could improve my
listening experience...as always!

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry...posted this in Home Theater Forum for some reason...thought I hit 2 channel...

I believe the crossovers were built to B-1 specs and the mid horn is
a K-700 like the new Cornwall IIIs and not the older style K-600
Cornwall Mid...perhaps the difference in mid "presence" (...and know if
I use anything that sounds like an audiophile term it is by accident Wink ) is the difference between the K-401 K-Horn and the K-700 mid horn???

Bill

Your comparing your Corvette to your G.T.O. ........... Both powerful cars, The Corvette, (Khorns) alittle more refined, better suited for Classical or Acoustic material, maybe light Jazz along Musics winding road ...... The Goat,(Cornwalls) more straightline performance, Rock, maybe some heavier Jazz, bottom end driven musical freeway ....... Aren't the Cornwalls considered Khorns when you don't have proper corners, seems I've seen that written here before. I hope you enjoy them both, and bet they sound great driven by VRD's ......... Just enjoy Bill, Klipsch offers many choices, there's a speaker for everyone, Jubilee's up next ????? .................. ENJOY, let the music take you away ............

OB...I like them both...just sharing my perceptions...not saying I am right or wrong...just sharing...I really like these...the price was too nice to pass on they have tremendous bass, I think speakerfritz designed them to have deeper bass than Cornwall IIIs...I am not sure but they do go deep...not sure if these will connect to 2 channel or go to Home Theater as mains (seems a waste but I have a hotrodded Heresy single I could use as a center from jorjen/Bob Crites/DeanG)...no jubilees...not unless someone wanted to trade for my K'Horns...[;)]

It is still very early (maybe 2 hours total) with these Corns so I have a lot of listening to do yet...

Bill

from IndyKlipschFan on the other thread:

I think the Klipschorns have more middle presence..

Go
back n forth between male and female vocalists. There is a BIG
difference. The difference is in the mids.. They are the most telling.

For a short time I had a k horn and Cornwall in my home office.. HUGE difference! Don't ask, I was playing!

Now
the Cornwall does almost go as low as a K horn too.... But "dynamics
wise" the K horn will walk all over it as well. It is full of life and
springs into action too. The negatives of the K horn? There are always 2 issues...

1)You have to have a great corner...(if the backs are not enclosed)

2) And have them in a room where your sitting you can enjoy them in the right sweetspot!

(And I am not even saying what is hooked up to them, but always better equipment and better sources of music helps too!)

Now
listen to either in a stereo pair over time... You know, after 30-60
seconds, and your ears calm down on the differences... BOTH sound
amazing!

Either way, you win!

while doing a search, I came up with this from j-malotky from June
19, 2006 on the differences in the Cornwall and Cornwall III...it seems
to agree with my early take and IndyKlipschFan's response as well

"Here is my opionion. The bass is definetly better in the 3, more natural sounding, less boomey IMO.

The
midrange in the 3 is more laid back. I think it is because the they are
using the K700 from the Heresy, not the original k600. There is
something lost in the smaller midrange horns IMO. I would probably do a
C3 bass cabinet and a K400 and make a cornscalla.

I prefer the midrange of the C1 and the bass of the C3.

Like Damon pointed out, the L2 is amazing sounding. I loved it last year and again this year.

JM"

Bill

Thanks for copying the thread here too.

Were talking shades of Grey here..... That is why most people who have K horns prefer to have a La Scala rather than a Belle in the center position. Is the Belle prettier...?? Sure, till the La Scala II came out. But the bottom line is, the La Scala is just the same mids n highs as the K horn... and it is different in the Belle. TIMBRE matters most in the mids n highs.

Same thing with the Cornwall.

If someone really bended that bass bin on the k horn to go more forward to you (You would have to seal the back, and add wings like the jube bottom I guess, lol) Then I guess people might use a K horn as a center too for the 3 way stereo music experience. Of course if you did this for HT That screen is gonna be quite high!

Sorry...posted this in Home Theater Forum for some reason...thought I hit 2 channel...

I believe the crossovers were built to B-1 specs and the mid horn is
a K-700 like the new Cornwall IIIs and not the older style K-600
Cornwall Mid...perhaps the difference in mid "presence" (...and know if
I use anything that sounds like an audiophile term it is by accident Wink ) is the difference between the K-401 K-Horn and the K-700 mid horn???

Bill

The Fc of the horn is not the only determinant of network topology. What drivers are hangin on the K701's? (you have plastic, not metal, right?)

Yes, it fits a stock cabinet, but probably would require a new motor board for this big horn. Bad news is that I don't know where to get any more of those horns. They are out of production.

Bob

I have listened to these another day...Norah Jones (Peter Malick Group The Deluxe Edition)...Sheryl Crow...Dave Matthews Band...my hearing is still picking up nice detailed highs...decent mids but a bit laid back...and TREMENDOUS bass...these are nice sounding speakers...they won't uproot the K'Horns but then they didn't cost near as much either...

Bill

Yes, it fits a stock cabinet, but probably would require a new motor board for this big horn. Bad news is that I don't know where to get any more of those horns. They are out of production.

Bob

That is sad cuz I would like to have taken that on...one day I'll hear your creation...

Bill