What Receivers are you using?

dr.hugme

I guess the problem is I can't demo the different receivers at the dealers because the new stuff is what they are using.

I had the chance to demo the yamaha 1800 vs the pioneer elite 91 and i prefered the 1800 i know it's not the 94 or 92 but it didn't seem as clean sounding the highs were rolled off.

The Denon will be my next test as their is a dealer that carries it and klipsch also.

I know you have to listen before you buy I just want to make sure the list is short for auditioning.

I also notice a lot of rotel and klipsch are a good match... but i would prefer the lower budget of the receiver and the newest options. at least for now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i was looking at the sony ES 4400 that is comming out. not the regular line

I had a regular SONY receiver, good HT, but poor 2 channel, tried a pair of La Scala's, got rid of that Sony shortly after. The ES line is a better grade of receiver, much better than the lower end models. You won't get a lot of praise for SONY on this Forum ..... but, remember buy what best suits your needs, you know best, and it is your money ........ I am happy with the Yamaha .....

Jay, is that Denon Ultra THX ? I agree on the crown, its pumps out some serious bass, it makes my RF-7s come alive, I can understand why people can use them with out a sub.

Unfortunately no they are not ultra thx.... I was/am looking at the onkyo 805 that has thx ultra II which is priced pretty well against the competition. Denon tends to outprice itself in the face of competition. But having the crown and the denon 2910 also makes me want to stick with denon.

oldbuckster

Thanks for all the help I know the Yamaha 1800 and 3800 seem nice but i was wondering am i just paying for features at that price.

or could i go lower and still get the same sound quality.

the second thing i was wondering is how they compare with the RF5's vs the newer ones. as pointed out the newer line sounds different

When you decided on the yamaha did you compare it to the Denon?

Sorry for all the questions...

When you decided on the yamaha did you compare it to the Denon?

Long story about Denon ........... Tweeters had one advertised at one price, went to the store to buy it, they said they only had one, and it was sold. Never stated limited quanties in the ad, got no where with them, contacted Denon about what they were doing, Denon Rep. said they didn't care, wasn't up to them how Tweeters conducts their business .............. So, enter VANNS ..... running a close out on that Yamaha, so I bought it. Suits my HT needs, just fine ................. can't compare RF5's, I own Cornwalls, and Heresy II's ........ check out vanns, good service

try these www.vanns.com ... www.wildwestelectronics.com ... www.outlawaudio.com .. Take your time, shop around

I don't know if Yamaha changed their amps in their receivers over the past 4-5 years but when I bought my RF-7s the Yamaha receivers out at that time were very bright to me. The Harman Kardon was much warmer on the RF-7s. I think the new Klipsch are a little more laid back then the RF-7 so maybe it's a non issue these days but back then it was widely known that Yamaha wasn't a great match for RF-7s and I guess RF-5s fall into that category. Try to demo some receivers if you can. It's possible that the newer Yamaha's don't sound as bright either, I'm a bit out of the loop on the latest receivers.

I really like Marantz with the legend series. Different speaker thatn the reference for sure. I did a demo with the legend series and a Yamaha receiever and found it harsh to my ears. That was when the legends wear still available at dealers. Sony ES was smoother than Yamaha and Onkyo was smoother than sony. The marantz is smooth and detailed while feeling tighter in the bass.Purchased @ Accessories4less.com.