Vintage Sansui......

SWL

Seems like a lot of vintage Sansui receivers and preamps have been popping up on Craigslist lately. I've heard their vintage stuff was good.......but does anyone know what vintage Sansui mates well with Klipsch?

I've always been a Marantz lover....still am.......but can't recall any Sansui's that jumped out at me. [*-)]

I own 4 vintage Sansui Integrateds...and all I own are Heritage line Klipsch so take that into account......

The 70's and early 80's were sansui's hayday and in my opinion the AU-XXXX series are the best....I posted a comparison between sansui and Mcintosh a while back and I put my sansui Au-7900 up against my Mcintosh MC2505/MX-112 combo....both had recently been serviced.....I'm a big Mac fan but the AU-7900 was the big winner in my book.....there is a 30 WPC diff but I really don't think that came too much into play..

The Mac Has that vintage "tube " sound, but for me the Sansui has much tighter bass, smoother highs and overall very musical.....

I also have a AU-11000 that I believe to be Sansui's ultimate int. It's 35 years old and needs to go into service but it still sounds awesome!!!

My recently acquired AU-111 (6L6GC) was at the time the audiophile amp to have if you could get one......it put Sansui on the map as a serious audiophile contender

So in conclusion ..... if you can score a AU-7900/9900/11000 and for $200-$600 bucks and service it for another $200...you will have a integrated that will run with the big boys...In my case a $400 AU7900 that drives klipshorns that you would swear in a blind test was a multi-thousand dollar amp and pre.....

FWIW your milage may vary

GLA51 has 5 or 6 sansui's ...ask him and he'll give you his opinion....also Audiokarma has a dedicated Sansui forum

They are all mostly solid state the only 2 integrated tube amps are the AU-70 and the AU-111......

the Au-70 is a good mid-fi amp and I've seen them on ebay for $300...The AU-111 is highly coveted and usually goes for $1500-3000 depending on condition...and you almost never see an all original 1st edition around...they weight about 65 lbs and are tanks...mine is in the shop right now and I can't wait to get it back....but I need to spend a small fortune on tubes as they they use 5 each 12AX7 and I will go NOS

I owned a lowly AU-717 / TU-717 combo (70wpc integrated & matching tuner) that I used with everything from Forte’ to K-horns and they sounded awesome with all of them. I eventually 'upgraded' to tubes but I am real sorry I sold the Sansui pieces.

BTW I picked the amp and tuner up at a garage sale for $35!

• Like 1

Sansui ruled in the 70's .............. very nice equipment, awful speakers .......... saw alot of Sansui while in the Army back in the dark ages ... My first real audio gear was AKAI, they knew how to produced Tape Decks, their amps weren't bad either .............. I never felt that the Japanese made good speakers, but everything else was good .......... under-rated really !!!!

I used to own a Sansui TR707, a very vintage piece. It worked. I sold it and went with some small seperates, they were vastly better.

I own a vintage Sansui 9090 (used in the shop).

While this was near the peak of what they could do, it doesn't cut it next to a Hafler DH220 (which is just middle-of-the-road in my opinion). I think you could pick up some Hafler, Adcom, or SAE for about the same as a 9090 brings on eBay. The 60W SAE XXXIB is the smallest, and one of their best models, and may frequently be had for less than $100 on eBay.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. [:D]

Has anyone had an experience or opinions on Sansui vs. Marantz?

I've got Marantz in the house right now and really dig it. I've always likes the Marantz sound.....and when quality vintage gear is brought up it seems like it is always Harmon Kardon, Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer.

I've had H/K and Pioneer as well as Marantz but never Sansui. It's really cool the deals you can find on these quality vintage units.......even if they are 30+ years old!! [:D]

And does anyone have experience or opinions on Sansui vs. the old HK Twin Power line? I have ben using a 430 for several years on our Khorns and am basically pleased with it, but every now and then wonder if I am missing much in a better amp.

Thanks,

Rod

I had a 430 about fifteen years ago and really liked it.......not a lot of power from what I can remember but wonderful sound quality. I'd like to get my hands on another one. [:D]

SWL,

34 yrs ago I walked into a Sansui dealership that had Sansui's top of the line integrated amp the Sansui AU9500 a monster amp as big as a suit case. It was a great sounding amplifier the last from one of their best engineers! As Fenderbenders site suggests! But at this age it would likely need capacitor replacements due to high ESR #'s from sheer age.

Same with my favorite vintage Marantz Poweramp the Marantz 500 that I felt had few peers.

SET12

And does anyone have experience or opinions on Sansui vs. the old HK Twin Power line? I have ben using a 430 for several years on our Khorns and am basically pleased with it, but every now and then wonder if I am missing much in a better amp.

Thanks,

Rod

I have the Sansui 7070 and the H/K 730, and 930 on kg4's. The Sansui is very dynamic and powerful, but I find I tweak the tone controls a lot to prevent bass boom and/or treble screech. The phono section also seems more detailed than the H/K's albeit much noisier too, at least with my cartridge. The Sansui also sounds more forward and in room, a bit too close for my preference and in my setup. The H/K's have a very warm and rich sound that I prefer to the Sansuis even more powerful and dynamic sound. I've found Macs to have a sound that is both powerful, clear and dynamic like the Sansui, yet rich and a touch laid back like the H/K's. All three are the best I've heard on my speakers, but I think tubes would make a bigger difference rather than another SS design.

Ran a 7070, long time-ago, sound was really good on the twins at lower or moderate levels. IMHO, most vintage stuff will work great with Klispch. Sansui, HK, Marantz, all good in my book. However and to my ears, HK and Marantz then Sansui. Still have many (given to our kids) all up and run-in pushing Heresy's

Enjoy!