The XXX 18 subwoofer system

Ricci

OK. So I've started noodlin with your Mach driver

Please remember I'm not showing thse things for a contest of the Lab 12 vs 18" drivers. I'm just trying to understand a possible change of plans with 18" drivers. Also remember...I might have to XO up to 100Hz. my midbass horns aren't finished and I will need to run curves to see how well they perform down to 80Hz.

Now....what I have is a comparison of 4 Lab 12 wired parallel in a 20 ft enclosure and 3 mach 18" drivers wired parallel in a 20 ft enclosure. I tuned them slightly different just to get similar curves and to flatten them.

What these curves don't show me is the amount of "movement" from the drivers.

jc

post-16499-13819400058776_thumb.jpg

post-16499-13819410213128_thumb.jpg

JW,

Maybe you should start your own thread for your project. Those graphs look fine. If you are going to use the 18's ported you should skip the MJ18M's. 20cu ft is not enough airspace to do justice to 3 or 4 ported 18's tuned that low. Use 2 18's and jump up the Mach5 line up to the IXL18. Try modeling 2 of them in 20 cu ft. I'd take these over the Lab 12's, soo much more extra headroom.

Another option that looks good is the Dayton Audio Reference 15HO. 4 of those in 20 cu ft model almost exactly the same as the Lab 12, but once again you have much more cone area and displacement ability for extra headroom. Model these and the IXL's with 750 watts as compared to the Lab12's and look at the driver excursion graphs. The 15's and 18's are working much less hard and are capable of taking more power in this kind of enclosure.

Here is a new set of measurements using a shorter sweep. I think it's about 5secs. Much shorter than the grueling 21.8sec sweep used in the last set. The highest level sweep is IT. That's everything that this system can give when doing this sine sweep. The shorter sweep allowed a bit higher levels, but as you can see there is a lot of compression going on at 9-11hz and 30-50hz(???). This is at the ragged edge of things. The system is amp limited technically, but I don't think that any more power would get much more out of the driver. The amp actually tripped the breaker on the surge protected power strip that it's plugged into once and self protected twice when trying to determine the max sweep level. The amp is none the worse for wear and driver took all of that drama in stride. [<:o)]

Posted Image

Probably a whole host of issues going on there in that last sweep. Line sag, driver heating up, vent compressing, etc. Hey I'm happy with my reference level output from 9hz up though[;)]. I think with another one of these I could be content[6]

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my 4th driver now.[:)]. I plan on doing at-least 2 of them sealed. Depending on how that goes I will decide whether to do the third one as a copy of this beast, or get a 5th driver and run 4 sealed and use this one for a different system. I still need to test the last driver that I recieved to make sure it is functional likethe rest.

watch?v=4ZlFD3a6FIg

JacksonFive...dayum ,that is one great animation ! WOW is it CGI ?

Oh Ricci purchased his RE XXX woofa with 99meters of Xmax ! Woohoo...Moves so much air it can be use in place of a fan,can extinguish a fire !

I have to get myself some RE XXXX driva then...mmm woofa. MMM

I'm trying to corner the market! You guys know how addictive this can be! I have a vision of an IB with 16 NO make that 32 of these[li] powered with 3 phase AETechron amplifiers! Then I will make youtube videos of my house imploding to the music of Barry Manilow![6]